• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The link is to the benching team lounge. Only OCF Benching team members have access. Maybe you can post the results here too Bart?

I had no issues at 3.9GHz on my 1700X and I was testing it on ASUS X370-Pro and Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3. If it shuts down, screen goes black or something like that then CPU isn't stable. In most cases voltage is too low. SOC voltage is not really helping in memory clock. On ASUS DDR VTT is for memory clock but on Gigabyte there is no voltage for that. Still on Gigabyte I could run memory at 3200 only by setting XMP or manually 3200. On ASUS 3200 couldn't work stable without bumping VTT ( and VDIMM as VTT had to be higher than the limit at 1.35V VDIMM ).
I just don't think it's motherboard's fault but some settings, cooling or just bad luck to CPU.

I'm in agreement here just because I was lucky to have two different CPUs of the same series. I can see there's a huge difference in their capabilities. One of the 1700s just refuses to play nice/at all with the same ram I have used on the other two with zero issues.
I also agree with the SOC voltage, I was playing a bit last night with ram. Running 3300 CL12 with SOC voltage at 1.05v just a small bump over stock. I can also verify that the new HWInfo64 gives acurate voltage readouts for core and SOC. These are the same as set in BIOS (slight droop) and verified with DMM
3300 cl12 SOC 1.05.JPG

AI Suite digs in like a Missouri tick. There used to be an official AI Suite uninstaller in the ASUS support section. I don't know if it is still there or even applies to AI Suite 3. I used it dig the AI Suite 1 hooks out of my Windows installation.

I just took a quick look around the ROG forums and it appears it's no longer available. Why I'm not sure but Raja's link doesn't work

Woomack,

I was never able to get older versions of AI SUITE to work on Win7 bench builds that I have. It requires a bunch of support utilities that end up making the OS clunky. 2D benching will always be best with BIOS + External BIOS controller.

I had no issues at 3.9GHz on my 1700X and I was testing it on ASUS X370-Pro and Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3. If it shuts down, screen goes black or something like that then CPU isn't stable. In most cases voltage is too low. SOC voltage is not really helping in memory clock. On ASUS DDR VTT is for memory clock but on Gigabyte there is no voltage for that. Still on Gigabyte I could run memory at 3200 only by setting XMP or manually 3200. On ASUS 3200 couldn't work stable without bumping VTT ( and VDIMM as VTT had to be higher than the limit at 1.35V VDIMM ).
I just don't think it's motherboard's fault but some settings, cooling or just bad luck to CPU.

Woomack,

I was never able to get older versions of AI SUITE to work on Win7 bench builds that I have. It requires a bunch of support utilities that end up making the OS clunky. 2D benching will always be best with BIOS + External BIOS controller.

That's why I always use TurboV, straight forward tuning no BS that goes along with AISuite. Even the Ryzen Master was a PITA. Not sure if it's different yet but the first (only) time I used it everything required a reboot to set which is not going to help in my world

So got my first crash last night. Fired up Deus Ex Mankind Divided for a few minutes, while running half a million things in the back-ground. Including such things as multiple jupyter notebooks (python thing I dislike, but one of my teachers uses for the comm systems class) and other random programs. Not sure if stability related, or just too much stuff at once, as Mankind Divided is a bit of a hog.

Woomack,

I'm barely ever using software for overclocking. If I'm using it then only to change bclk as most other things are useless or it's better to set them in BIOS. I just said that AI Suite is not working but I wouldn't use anything from that soft anyway as on my board bclk adjustment is not working.

I'm barely ever using software for overclocking. If I'm using it then only to change bclk as most other things are useless or it's better to set them in BIOS. I just said that AI Suite is not working but I wouldn't use anything from that soft anyway as on my board bclk adjustment is not working.
Usually, I just use it in max clock finding, using it to bump the multiplier. Then it gets hard set in bios. That and fan profiles... Those noctura ippc-3000s can get a bit loud.

Woomack Nice Chip, is the G.Skill Flare X Ram any better for Ryzen or is it just Hipe, ( Designed for Ryzen )

Doing some multi-thread prime number finding tests now. This uses software called LLR, which uses the same math library as Prime95. Work is PrimeGrid PSP, currently they're running the 1280k FFT size.

On first 3 systems I tested running 4x single threads, and compared it to one task 4 threads.

i5-4570S stock saw a 4.06x speedup, for a small throughput bonus. This is still advantageous as shorter time to return work increases your chance of being the initial prime finder.
i5-5675C OC 3.5 saw a 3.76x speedup, so actually a loss in throughput here. This is probably an exception due to its large L4 cache, meaning the single threads were probably not being ram limited, and we lose a little from MT overhead.
i7-6700k OC 4.2 saw a 4.67x speedup. Really nice! Further testing needs to be done with a 6600k to see if the L3 cache plays a significant role in this.

Wait, isn't this a Ryzen thread? I'm running an 8 thread test on stock 1700 now (SMT/HT off on all systems). Note as it is similar to P95 28.xx, it doesn't use the FMA code, although I don't think there is much penalty to use the older AMD optimisation for a general comparison to Intel here. It is currently estimating taking 5.3 hours a unit, which is slightly faster than the 4570S at 6.3 hours, and 5675C at 5.7 hours, but slower than the 6700k at 4.2 hours. E5-2683v3 however is estimating 3.0 hours! I knew Ryzen was never going to be strong in this area, but I've long suspected double the cores at about half the IPC meant it would still be competitive per socket. Note Ryzen has more than enough cache to take ram out of the equation in this task, but there may still be a concern about cross-CCX traffic. I'm not going to run 8x single threads on Ryzen as I don't have long enough to live (probably looking around 2 days runtime for that).

How come you are not running the memory at 3200 speed, is it because of the IMC cold bug?

Looks like cold bug. SS is scalled for something like -50°C up to 300W. In BIOS was ~ -9°C. Anything above 2133 had problems to boot. I made single runs at 2666 but had to back to 2400 as later I couldn't even boot at this clock. In general after system crash I couldn't make board start for 1-10 minutes. It was random but I lost a lot of time only trying it to boot or bring back BIOS defaults so I could change one setting.
CB tested on CHVI is appearing below +20°C. I have no idea if the same is on X370-Pro or it's worse. Maybe my CPU is so bad but hard to say if it's not the motherboard or BIOS. X370-Pro isn't really designed for benching on cold.

Woomack Nice Chip, is the G.Skill Flare X Ram any better for Ryzen or is it just Hipe, ( Designed for Ryzen )

Any memory designed for Ryzen was tested on Ryzen and will have correct and optimal memory profiles. All other memory kits will probably run fine too but it's never guaranteed how high they will run. In general the best kits are on Samsung B so pretty much everything at tighter timings from Trident Z or Ripjaws V series ( I mean like CL14-14-14 or 15-15-15 at 3000+ and 16-16-16 3600 ).
Current BIOS releases have only 5 timings which you can set so everything else depends on profiles. Nearly all memory kits were designed to work on Intel dual or quad channel platforms. Barely any kits are additionally tested for AMD.
If I have some time then I will make some tests on Crucial/Micron kit 2x16GB 2666. It's working on Intel up to 3200 17-19-19 1.35V. Nothing really special but quite good for high capacity Micron IC. Right now I'm testing something on Intel and I'm not sure when I back to Ryzen.

Back