• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you bumped Vsoc and/or Vttddr?
If you are asking me, the answer depends.

When I did the all Auto settings, no.
When I had my overclock, both were increased.

I'm back to the overclocked settings, since that's not the problem in this case. Everything else still checks out as being rock-solid stable. I have re-run multiple stability tests with no issues.

Today I wrestled with the second R7 1700 and I mean wrestled. I'm coming to the conclusion that all the "BIOS" issues people are seeing are more CPU related than board related.
To start with on BIOS 0902 I kept losing my SSD , so I decided to flash the 1101 also tried 0038 that didn't make a difference with the SSD issue. After setting a static SOC voltage of 1.0 the issue with the disappearing drive was gone. But if there was a thumb drive left in the system after reboot it would always try to boot from it regardless of boot settings in BIOS.
On versions 1001 and 0038 with this CPU the voltages were crazy, showing super high in BIOS, CPU overvoltage warnings etc.
Reverted back to 902 and seemed a bit more normal. One thing to note. Using Win7x64 and my DMM reading would match exactly what I set in BIOS. SW including HWinfo read too high. example 1.25v core in BIOS and DMM would read 1.33v in HWInfo. Up till now it's been the reverse, usually voltage are higher than BIOS setting.
Memory was another battle, tried different straps,timings and voltage combinations but it will not go past ~ 2700 with any kind of stability, as you know the other two had no issues with up to 3300 and tight timings.
In the end I got to 4.0 @ 1.425v stable. Ram at 2700 14-14-14-14-28 1.35v SOC 1.1
So back to my initial statement, I feel it has more to do with the CPU than it does BIOS. Many of the "weird" issues people are seeing, I saw today and only difference was the chip.
I'll leave this here for you actual voltage is 1.55 DMM

r15 1872.JPG

If the workload fits in the cache or not depends on the FFT size. For "large" FFT it certainly doesn't fit in the cache, and will stress the ram. For "small" FFT it does fit in the cache, and stresses the execution units more, but not the ram.

Also note that the release versions of P95 (28.xx) don't detect Ryzen correctly, and doesn't use FMA3. There is a test release of 29.1 at link below if you want to try an updated one. The CPU detection is updated so it handles SMT now, and it can use FMA3 transform. It seems to give slightly higher benchmark numbers than Bulldozer/K10 it was using in 28.xx.
http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpost.php?p=454570&postcount=93
I agree, that is why I use Blend with prime95 v28.10 for reduced temperature do to increased memory usage..:)

I've never seen the 1T command rate on my 1700X and Prime X370. Always has been running at 2T command rate. Haven't seen anyplace to change that in the BIOS. It just seems to pick that on its own. The G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZ is running at 16-16-16-36-56-2T @ 1.35V

But if there was a thumb drive left in the system after reboot it would always try to boot from it regardless of boot settings in BIOS.
This is not abnormal at all. Many different platforms do this all the way back to socket A.

I've never seen the 1T command rate on my 1700X and Prime X370. Always has been running at 2T command rate. Haven't seen anyplace to change that in the BIOS. It just seems to pick that on its own. The G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZ is running at 16-16-16-36-56-2T @ 1.35V
That's because there isn't any setting to change. That's also why there are two different BIOS versions for the C6H board -- one for 1T and one for 2T. They haven't enabled user choice in the BIOS (yet).

That's because there isn't any setting to change. That's also why there are two different BIOS versions for the C6H board -- one for 1T and one for 2T. They haven't enabled user choice in the BIOS (yet).

I was replying to BlueFalcon13 because he stated he has only run at 1T on his Prime X370. I was wondering how he did that. Does an XMP memory profile also set the command rate? I thought it only did timings.

I was replying to BlueFalcon13 because he stated he has only run at 1T on his Prime X370. I was wondering how he did that. Does an XMP memory profile also set the command rate? I thought it only did timings.
It can set the command rate I believe, but mine is always stuck in 1T. Sticks are rated for 2T :/

And you are 100% correct, nowhere to change it in bios.

Thanks. I knew that you can see the command rate in various utilities, but I always thought it pulled the information from the motherboard EC and that has been set in previous generation motherboards in the BIOS. Didn't know it is defined in the embedded SMP chip in the DIMM.

Mailman just showed up, 15 minutes before his 5 PM quitting time. Now to try out the new Corsair 3200 CL16 memory. Wish me luck.

Has any one tried keeping stock memory speeds and getting tighter timings vs going for a higher clock speed? Curious if timing tweaks result well.

Boy, what a difference single rank makes

Thanks. I knew that you can see the command rate in various utilities, but I always thought it pulled the information from the motherboard EC and that has been set in previous generation motherboards in the BIOS. Didn't know it is defined in the embedded SMP chip in the DIMM.

Mailman just showed up, 15 minutes before his 5 PM quitting time. Now to try out the new Corsair 3200 CL16 memory. Wish me luck.

Boy, what a difference single rank makes. Took out the G.Skill after resetting to F5 and put in the Corsair 3200 CL16 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) memory, and boom, booted right into the BIOS. Set DOCP profile for 3200 and made no other changes .... rebooted and I am running at 3200 Mhz on the memory. No fuss, no drama.

Set up the BIOS again for turning off unneeded things like LED's, USB 3.1 and serial port and set the fan profiles for Turbo on CPU and case fans. Set up for TPU II and it rebooted right back at 3.825 Ghz. No problem. Proceeded to test the new FMA2 Prime95 for a couple of hours to see if it made any errors. Didn't make it past 30 minutes before some of the workers dropped out. Went back into the BIOS and set for LLC1 and optimized phase converters. Back into P95 for another run. Made it past an hour without errors but noticed that my socket temps had increased to just about equal the CPU temps. Previously on LLC1, the socket was only running about 45-50° C. Now it runs at 78-82° C. I'm guessing that is because of the increase in the Infinity Fabric from my previous 2400 Mhz memory clocks to the 3200 Mhz memory clocks. So back into the BIOS to set the LLC back to Auto and retest. Still passed P95 but absolutely no difference in the socket temps. I think I should test at LLC2 or LLC3 to see if I can lower the socket temps. No difference between Auto and LLC1 for Vcpu voltage. Still fluctuating between 1.35-1.38V at 3.825 Ghz all cores running. I'm happy for now. BOINC is back up and running on all cores, all projects.:clap::D:cool:

XMP on the memory does set the Timings and sub timings. What the motherboard Bios sets for other settings is a different story.

Here is a example of XMP profile on the memory. LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_presence_detect#XMP

XMP profile.JPG

Yes, I can't change anything related to command rate in the BIOS, but the new Corsair sticks are running at 1T versus 2T on the G. Skill RAM. Stock XMP settings for the Corsair 16-18-18-36-75-1T.

Yes, I can't change anything related to command rate in the BIOS, but the new Corsair sticks are running at 1T versus 2T on the G. Skill RAM. Stock XMP settings for the Corsair 16-18-18-36-75-1T.

I'm curious what does HWiNFO64 or CPU-Z show for command rate of the Corsair memory?

How is your memory working on the Asus X370 Prime? I would RMA the Gigabyte Gaming 3 to the place of purchase, Woomack is not having that problem with his.

It's working alright in the Asus Prime. I still have to bump the voltage to 1.4, and it fails to boot sometimes, but it's otherwise stable. I got sick of swapping the CPU out, so I've just been running on the Prime for a few days. I'll switch back to the Gigabyte tomorrow or the next day and see if the problem still exists with a BIOS update. If so, I'll send it back. (I actually have a second Gaming 3 to try, so I could try a comparison and see if it's only on the one board).

Haven't tried that yet. For a LONG time I've just moved this 27.9 P95 folder (portable zip extraction) from one windows install to the next. I just wasn't sure what I should be using to stress test at this point cause everyone keeps saying P95 is overkill and too heavy of a load to test with...

I think a lot of the talk about Prime being overkill is because on Intel Haswell onward the AVX version generates extreme heat (like 90C+) unless you delid the CPU. With such insane heat output, it's a risk to run it, and it will be unstable even if your overclock is otherwise completely stable. That doesn't seem to be a problem on Ryzen, so I think it's a decent stress test for this chip. Personally, I've never had a CPU that could handle Prime for at least 4 hours that was otherwise unstable, so it's my gold standard on chips that can handle it.

Oh yeah, I know. The reason I call mine a dud is the voltage. Most that hit 3.8GHz can do it on 1.2v or so while mine requires 1.351v. Mine can only do 3.65GHz on 1.2v.

Personally I'm a little doubtful that most chips can do 3.8 GHz on 1.2v. 3.7 GHz on mine requires 1.2125, and even that is reported as actually being 1.245v in CPU-Z (probably due to LLC setting). For people claiming to hit 3.8 GHz with only 1.2v, I take it with a bit of a grain of salt. Some might have a good chip, some might not have actually tested for stability (some people's idea of stability testing is to run a few tests for 5-10 minutes, and then see that it doesn't crash in games), some might not realize their motherboard is applying an LLC setting which is pushing their voltage up much higher than 1.2, and so on.

Personally I'm a little doubtful that most chips can do 3.8 GHz on 1.2v. 3.7 GHz on mine requires 1.2125, and even that is reported as actually being 1.245v in CPU-Z (probably due to LLC setting). For people claiming to hit 3.8 GHz with only 1.2v, I take it with a bit of a grain of salt. Some might have a good chip, some might not have actually tested for stability (some people's idea of stability testing is to run a few tests for 5-10 minutes, and then see that it doesn't crash in games), some might not realize their motherboard is applying an LLC setting which is pushing their voltage up much higher than 1.2, and so on.
My 1700 is running 3.7ghz @1.1875. stock cooler or I would look for the limit [emoji14]

This is not abnormal at all. Many different platforms do this all the way back to socket A.

I know this isn't anything new, I think you missed the point or I wasn't explicit enough. Out of 3 CPUs only that one had these issues with the USB and SSD. Same board and bios with all. I think there's something either with the IO or data fabric in the CPU itself that's affecting the peripherals

Has any one tried keeping stock memory speeds and getting tighter timings vs going for a higher clock speed? Curious if timing tweaks result well.

IMO low speed doesn't help at all. The CPUs internals are all tied to the one"bus" whic is 1:1 with the ram speed. Just like the PhenomII the NB gives a good boost the only way to speed it up is to increase the ram speed. Plus the fact that DDR4 can only run so tight. In the end 3200 CL12 vs 2133 CL 12 is no contest

Back