• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That it would. Might even make Janus's stock worth something. Ha ha
I'm sure that Intel can be a real PITA to work with

Lol indeed. I could have sold when it most recently topped out at around 7.25, making for a whopping .75 loss overall per share, but decided to ride it out and see what happens. It's in my retirement account anyway, who knows what will happen in the next 20 some years.

I wonder if that says something about pricing? Apple doesn't exactly break the bank on high end parts in their stuff. If AMD can undercut Intel's pricing by enough to get Apple to switch does that mean the rest of us can look forward to the same?
Apple does break the bank though. Their macbook pro's and airbooks, last I recall were a ripoff compared to non apple similarly spec'd, no?

Apple does break the bank though. Their macbook pro's and airbooks, last I recall were a ripoff compared to non apple similarly spec'd, no?

They are, but running AMD could help them actually be competitively priced for once.

But it's an Apple, that covers everything they're the best.( at increasing profit margins) Ha ha

They are, but running AMD could help them actually be competitively priced for once.

Do you really think the price will go down?

If their cost goes down enough I wouldn't be surprised if the prices went down (or at least didn't increase gen to gen as they typically do).

Apple's pricing is nuts. I was referring to the quality of the hardware they use. There is nothing in an Apple product to justify the cost.

Getting back to topic, the lack of NB is because the NB and SB are now merged. The SB traditionally handled the SATA/USB and legacy I/O. Well now that feature size has decreased, we can that chip into one chip with a bunch of PCIe. Wonder why only some of the new chipsets only have 2 lanes of full x16 rather than 3 or more? Its a bit harder to start packing all that in with more and more PCIe lanes.

It looks like a southbridge heatsink in the picture of Post 633, why did they not merge the northbridge on the CPU?

They did, that chip you see will be some additional SATA/USB/PCIe and low level board control( overclocking), adding to what is already contained in the chip. The new ZEN is closer to an SOC than a CPU really.

You would think if they added into the Southbridge there would be a need for a better sink. I guess they have really made some lower optimizations. I would keep an eye out for that when OCing though, as those additional components may act wonky under stress and voltage. Right?

If anything the SB does less, it's more like an add-on chip to extend I/O capabilities.

You would think if they added into the Southbridge there would be a need for a better sink. I guess they have really made some lower optimizations. I would keep an eye out for that when OCing though, as those additional components may act wonky under stress and voltage. Right?

The SoC itself might be larger than a "standard" sized CPU, Right?

I imagine that square mm it's about the same size but uses a much smaller node so you can get more in the same space

EDIT: Found some pics of the DIE/chipset layout

7th Gen Block Diagram Logo.png
B350 Chipset Blog Diagram_678x452.png

Last edited:
I meant the mainstream size of intel or amd cpus. About what 4cm square?

ATM has a point if you look here you'll see the actual 6700K die is a fraction of the size of the CPU

Back