• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't remember when AMD was clearly winning in price/performance ratio. All current and last gen of CPUs are just well planned marketing and you only hear that AMD is better choice for users with lower budget while it's not really true when you look at the whole platform cost.
Think that FX/APU need better cooling than Intel ( what is additional cost ) and need higher clock than Intel to be as fast. At the same time for overclocking you need good board while Intel can OC on anything with 4 CPU power phases ( so generally everything ).
AMD also uses more power so in theory you need stronger PSU ( even if wattage is ok then PSU may heat up more and generate more noise ). All AMD PC also runs louder if you won't pay premium for a good cooler even if you are not overclocking. All who were trying to run FX8000 series on stock cooler in 24/7 pc know what I mean.

Sockets are also just an argument when AMD fans want to complain at "next" Intel socket changes. AMD had AM2 which wasn't fully compatible in both ways with AM2+ the same as AM2+ wasn't with AM3 and AM3 wasn't with AM3+. There are little changes like max CPU power compatibility ( between 85 and 145W ), memory controller support, available microcode etc. In real AMD is the same as Intel, 2 CPU generations per socket and that's all.

DDR4 won't change anything if AMD won't focus on good memory controller. At least FX series CPUs have pathetic memory performance comparing to Intel and are highly limited by memory controller.
I assume that 16 core Zens won't be available for desktops the same as quad channel memory. At least I have a feeling that AMD will try to compete with mid range Intel series rather than enthusiast line which will get Skylake-E at the end of this year/beginning of 2016. For some reason there are already BIOS updates for next gen CPUs for X99 boards but marked as 5th gen and there are no new CPUs on the list. Weird is that for 1150 5th gen = broadwell while 2011-3 has no broadwell in official plans.

Any idea on the PRICE of the NEW ZEN computer?????
Price of new DDR4 memory freq xxxx 16GB min ???? Price of new (1090FX) AM4 motherboard???? Price of new CPU?????
Would $1000 be about right or should I shoot for $1500 to hold so that I can get it when it first comes out??????
If the new CPU's come out in ~Cough~ March ~ Cough~ Then we SHOULD see new graphics cards hitting the shelves around June or July from NVidia and AMD????

Ever since the whole Blizzard entertainment and Starcraft Ghost fiasco....I quit putting any faith in proposed, or expected release dates.

Just take my money now..........and ship it to me whenever it gets here.

That almost sounds like differing opinions on what is needed and what's expected. The product should soon go into testing if they want to launch it in less than a year.

With Jim Keller's leave, and re-appearance at AMD (back in 2012), you can tell he was brought in to bring AMD back to the Thuban based architecture. It sounds like AMD is going to be playing Intel's game, but what the difference will be is still unknown.

Jim coming and going at AMD is nothing special. AMD hires and fires like a billionaire playboy trying to find the right wife. Most of their teams are made up of contractors these days.

The problem with constant hiring and firing of people........Where do people with talent want to go? Somewhere with stability. I guess that would be Intel.
I wonder, is AMD's ceo taking advice from the Fiorina School of Management?

Anyway. Depending on how things turn out with the ZEN release *read, at least 6 months after* I may move to intel, just never top of the line.....No clue how many plasma donations that would take. :p

Last edited:
LOL, just been there/done that. Good times... it made for an inexpensive night of drinking when you are a pint or two low. haha!

AMD and Intel are not the only x86, CPU companies out there. There are lot of research or privet corporations that need these people to design custom super computers. Most of time these computers are for high speed data processing in the stock/economic world, or for high computation algorithm learning machines needed for molecular and atomic simulations. These are 100 or less man companies ran by billionaires trying to figure out how to extend their money/life/man hood/wife's attention span/anything ever wanted by a billionaire with too much time and money.

Any idea on the PRICE of the NEW ZEN computer?????
Price of new DDR4 memory freq xxxx 16GB min ???? Price of new (1090FX) AM4 motherboard???? Price of new CPU?????
Would $1000 be about right or should I shoot for $1500 to hold so that I can get it when it first comes out??????
If the new CPU's come out in ~Cough~ March ~ Cough~ Then we SHOULD see new graphics cards hitting the shelves around June or July from NVidia and AMD????

How on earth would anyone know the answers to these questions? The stuff is vaporware at this point.

Back