• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On the mobo front, the photos are a bit low res to tell, but were there any OC chipset micro-ATX boards or are they all full ATX for now?

Just went back and looked, here's the full list we saw:
- ASRock X370 Taichi, ASRock X370 Gaming K4, ASRock AB350 Gaming K4, & ASRock A320M Pro4
- Asus B350M-C
- Biostar X370GT7, Biostar X350GT5, & Biostar X350GT3
- Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5, Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3, & Gigabyte A320M-HD3
- MSI A320M Pro-VD, MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium, MSI B350 Tomahawk, & MSI B350M Mortar

Overclocking can happen on X370, B350, and X300. The latter of those there were no boards currently available as it is recently announced.
So, yes, there were some B350 mATX boards.

Still.. put the fx against an Intel using a titan XP, regardless of res, it would still put a glass ceiling on the FPS. The lower the res, the more pronounced it will be.

Isn't the glass ceiling a good thing in this case ? will let you compare the CPU performance with other brands/models.

I'm just saying how can you make a CPU comparison running a game 4K?
AMD with their FX line put a glass ceiling on high end cards no matter what resolution. Although testing wasn't empircal, it was clear that Ryzen could keep up with a comparable intel chip. You put an FX there at 4K, and the frames would be notably less. Maybe there is one at 1080p with a titan, but who is going to buy a titan for 1080p. Realistically, it's a 4k/higher res card. I mean, I hear ya, but read between the line a bit. ;)

Isn't the glass ceiling a good thing in this case ? will let you compare the CPU performance with other brands/models.
Not entirely sure what you mean here...

Exactly my point, in this case the CPU is the ceiling. I would not expect Ryzen (stock or with a light overclock) to max out a 1070/980ti (again in CPU heavy games like Crysis 3 or AoTS maxed out) let alone a 1080/1080ti/Titan at standard 1080p which is still the must used resolution in desktops, meaning that to play these games @60fps you have to overclock wether you want to or not. Same concept as benchmarking CPU only or pairing a 2600k with a 1080 if it makes more sense ?

Would like to know if AMD is going to make other models with less cores aimed at overclockers or if this is going to be a one off and if anyone knows if their "hyperthreading" can be turned off for temperature gains ?

Exactly my point, in this case the CPU is the ceiling. I would not expect Ryzen (stock or with a light overclock) to max out a 1070/980ti (again in CPU heavy games like Crysis 3 or AoTS maxed out) let alone a 1080/1080ti/Titan at standard 1080p which is still the must used resolution in desktops, meaning that to play these games @60fps you have to overclock wether you want to or not. Same concept as benchmarking CPU only or pairing a 2600k with a 1080 if it makes more sense ?

Would like to know if AMD is going to make other models with less cores aimed at overclockers or if this is going to be a one off and if anyone knows if their "hyperthreading" can be turned off for temperature gains ?

Did you read the news article I wrote? All CPU SKU's will be overclockable as long as you have one of the three supported chipsets.
We haven't heard if their multi-threading can be turned on/off in the BIOS, but I would assume you can.

I read but you know as well as anyone here that the vast majority of people don't overclock, they expect maximum gains off the box :)

I read but you know as well as anyone here that the vast majority of people don't overclock, they expect maximum gains off the box :)

You asked specifically, the following, which I covered in the article. So, are you asking about models aimed at overclockers or not???

My original question was if the glass ceiling was good or bad ? IMO you can compare performance outside benchs if you're CPU doesn't keep up with the GPU (trying to make a point but the vocabulary is missing).

As to others you mentioned this being the top model (thus inferring there will be others) but gave no details about them :( is there another review I skipped or there's none yet ?

patience, patience, boys.
it's been a very loooong, dry spell for us amd fan bouys.
it's time to order an over the top case and a bunch of other stupid stuff to go with the new gpu I got and plan out a truly new AMD build!!!!!!!!

My original question was if the glass ceiling was good or bad ? IMO you can compare performance outside benchs if you're CPU doesn't keep up with the GPU (trying to make a point but the vocabulary is missing).

As to others you mentioned this being the top model (thus inferring there will be others) but gave no details about them :( is there another review I skipped or there's none yet ?

At this point we've simply been told there will be other models. Details on those were not available at this time as AMD has not set their launch lineup yet.

The over-clocking is board/chipset specific not CPU specific. ALL chips are announced as unlocked and ready to overclock. It won't matter how many cores/threads it has.

Back