• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What I find funny about Intel's CPU's (Having to buy a CPU+Mobo at every release) is that they went from a socket 1156 > 1155 > 1150 and now their going to a socket 1151 :)

Yes, I found that incredibly annoying and 'jumped' off the Intel bandwagon a few yrs ago...when refreshing my main gaming PC.. after my 1156 mobo started getting a bit strained...

Yes, I found that incredibly annoying and 'jumped' off the Intel bandwagon a few yrs ago...when refreshing my main gaming PC.. after my 1156 mobo started getting a bit strained...

To be fair, pretty much all of their sockets are good for 2 generations of CPUs. And the benefit of this happening is that there are actual improvements to be made on each CPU and chipset, something we haven't seen from AMD for years.

To be fair, pretty much all of their sockets are good for 2 generations of CPUs. And the benefit of this happening is that there are actual improvements to be made on each CPU and chipset, something we haven't seen from AMD for years.

not only that, amd boards arent near as universal as people make them out to be, they might have the same socket, but just about every change brought out a new series of boards that you had to buy to use the new cpu's. granted a select few boards you could flash to work with the next series of cpu's but it wasnt every board. try puting a phenom x6 in an am2 board or fx in an am3 board...

before anyone calls me a fan boy.... if amd makes a better cpu, il be buying it. hence the opty's in my sig. (cheap and fast)

Yes but from a benching standpoint any AMD with a DDR3 controller will work in a CHV-z. I think part of the issue again from my perspective is that the Intel boards of late only had a few Overclockable CPUs, unlike the 775 socket.

Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok we get it!

From the design, some are predicting Haswell-like per core performance based on the 4 instructions per clock, 2R 1W, and SMT. For me that would be very disappointing as I was looking to Zen as a reason to jump back to AMD after a long haitus since the Socket 939/940 days. While it will be a big improvement for AMD, there's no reason for me to switch to AMD Zen if it only matches Intel's 2014 Haswell single-threaded performance.

Here's another iffy Zen link:

http://dresdenboy.blogspot.com/2015/10/amds-zen-core-family-17h-to-have-ten.html

Back