• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At this point, I just want to see how they overclock... that will determine if I get one or not.
I'm interested mostly in the native performance of these suckers. Overclocking is great and I'd do it anyways, but I am honestly interested in seeing the new APUs when they come much later, and seeing what AMD does with switchable graphics. It would be super nice to basically shut off the GPU when it was not is use and have a quiet rig for writing code/whatever with minimal heat generation in the room.

At this point, I just want to see how they overclock... that will determine if I get one or not.
It's AMD ED, you need not apply. ;) LOL. I'm going to be the guinea pig on this one, though maybe we'll see one on the forum before they go retail!?!?

Me too ...... I'm with Falcon I think my Intel Rig is going up for sale.
Sell? I'm slowly starting my own retail Pc store in my house. :D

I am sure we will ....... wonder who the lucky Guinea Pig will be.

It is hard to sell a whole rig though ...... part of the reason I have not already.

Just read that wcc link... I wonder what will be more effective, XFR or old-fashioned overclocking for daily clocks.

Good question. The site stated that the processor would scale up with better cooling. The way they made it sound in the article, there was no need for you to OC yourself.

AMD has stated that the top speed listed for xxxx processor, is the speed it's rated at with a AMD boxed cooler. They have stated that the processor can go above this with better cooling.

Last edited:
Good question. The site stated that the processor would scale up with better cooling. The way they made it sound in the article, there was no need for you to OC yourself.
That's kinda exciting... Maximum performance with 0 effort... It does take a bit of fun out of dialing in the system, but at the same time, that would leave more time for fun stuff!

This is assuming it's at least as good as 90% of a manual overclock. Basically crank up the TDP on the Mobo, stick your beastly cooling on it, and let it rip, at least as far as the article alludes to.

That's kinda exciting... Maximum performance with 0 effort... It does take a bit of fun out of dialing in the system, but at the same time, that would leave more time for fun stuff!

This is assuming it's at least as good as 90% of a manual overclock. Basically crank up the TDP on the Mobo, stick your beastly cooling on it, and let it rip, at least as far as the article alludes to.

That does take some of the fun out of it :)

Well I doubt highly that if you just stick a pot or some sub ambient water that it's just going to go to X oc on it's own. Guess we'll see.

I have not read enough information yet on the Ryzen "X" and "Plain" processors, to understand a 30w difference between them. Anyone have any info????

I have not read enough information yet on the Ryzen "X" and "Plain" processors, to understand a 30w difference between them. Anyone have any info????
Well lets just hope AMD isn't doing the same calculations that brought them to the conclusion that the Fx 8350 was a 125w chip.

I'm with Manny here I doubt you will get a real OC by dropping on better cooling. Will it run a little higher probably, if what AMD has said is true..... well we shall see

I'm with Manny here I doubt you will get a real OC by dropping on better cooling. Will it run a little higher probably, if what AMD has said is true..... well we shall see
I was talking more in the daily OC realm. I'm sure it won't scale to extreme cooling, but a decent custom loop, that's not out of this world as an idea.

I'm more interested in the gains from the overclock vs how far they clock up to. Hopefully not a product of diminishing returns....

Back