• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
because they "dont have a proper board with proper cooling".

Proper cooling includes spot vrm cooling and the back of the socket in many cases. ;)

Spot cooling on the back of the board also proper board :rofl: I will stick with Intel I don't need that crap for overclocking.;)

I never had throttling on my AMD 1055T X6 and that was on a cheap 890GX board. (125W CPU base clock 2.8ghz>4ghz)

But it seems like AMD and throttling is the stigma due to one bad series.

Plus is it really AMD's fault or board manufacturers?

Last edited:
But it seems like AMD and throttling is the stigma due to one bad series.
Yes the FX wasn't a stellar run but not sure it's fair to put all the blame on AMD here.
Many boards that "said" they supported 8 core CPUs never stood a chance and would throttle at stock. Maybe AMD underestimated the power draw or maybe the board manufacturers just didn't care? In reality there were only a hanful of motherboards that would handle an FX CPU at 5.0GHz without too many issues. Cooling was one of the users biggest downfalls. It got me too. Coming from a PII 965 I had no idea that this CPU was going to be a power hungry furnace and it caught me with my pants down. Now to be fair many recommend the same VRM fan for X99 with a 5960x overclocked and having experience with both CPUs once overclocked one is just as hot as the other with the same power needs (apples to apples).
The key IMO is the "overclock" 90% of the users never would have had an issue if they left their CPUs at stock.

I think one of the missed concepts here is cost. People keep bitching about "missing" features on the highest end boards. First off let's remind everyone what happened with AMD and why this is important to board manufactures. AMD took several years between each revision of their CPU, and they never changed a thing with the socket or the PCH (North-bridge). Board Manufactures were forced to build the same board over and over, and make something new. Customers love new. Customers really love new, and these guys were missing out on the RGB orgy that everyone on the Intel side were doing. No new CPU, no new motherboards; except for ASUS only because the Saber and Cross became the staple of support for any of the 9000 series FX chips. When you factor in the cost ratio of board creation and part sourcing, it becomes quickly apparent that board manufactures would lose money if they continued to re-spin their boards. Motherboards, just like all highly manufactured product has a cost ratio, and is driven lower if there are more people willing to buy the product.

So after a stale relationship that would rival any marriage at the 30yr mark, these companies get to have their way with board design. M.2, RGB, new awesome and better (marketing) power planes, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0 with Type C. A refresh like this for board houses is a giant double edged sword. First off, a market is refreshed and you will be able to sell boards (especially with a hot product like Zen). But now all these new technology advances that Intel had exclusively is now being placed on all the boards in their portfolio. Source manufactures (the guys who make those USB Chips and the like) now have to supply near double the quantity but in the same time. Chain effect like this will touch a lot of markets throughout the world. So board manufactures have to make a bet: disrupt the system they have with Intel and part manufactures or keep it going but slowly build into a higher volume. Well as history has shown, we will have to wait for the volume to catch up.

In the end we have board manufactures frustrated at AMD because they haven't been able to cash that check for some time. Now that a new CPU is coming in, manufacturing will have to play catch up (and hopefully they started this a year ago). So the effect is we are going to see some gaps in board availability at start. Board manufactures will most likely put a toe in first before jumping into the AMD pool again.

I would agree with that except for the simple fact the board manufacturers and their suppliers have all had plenty of time to see this coming boon in business. It happens every new release. If they're not ready for it then that's bad on them. It's simple logistics. Furthermore, failure to provide merchandise, especially during a major release like this will cost many companies a crap ton of profit. I.e. when Ryzen launches if Gigabyte is unable to meet the demands at launch people will go Asus, or MSI, or where ever. They're not going to wait for Gigabyte to catch up.

Yeah but none of the companies know how the market is going to react. Even AMD can't predict those numbers. They can guess, but if its anything like our numbers... well lets just say marketing can be conservative or exaggerate depending on the season.

It depends on which air you are talking about...

Asrock had several boards, msi two, Giga a couple, Asus one so far. Asrock jumped in. ;)

I wouldn't like to be a manufacturer of time-limited physical retail goods... like mobos. People can't buy what you don't make, but you also don't want the risk of having warehouses full of them you can't shift. I suspect they can have a good guess at the initial enthusiast market, but the ongoing mass market numbers are anyone's guess.

Keeping on the hype train, anyone keeping tabs on rumoured key dates? Two I have in mind, not checked in any meaningful way, was is the 28th for the reveal at some event, and availability from 2nd? Anyone know different?

I find it amusing watching the movements of various tech media celebrities. Reading between the lines, I think some have been to a press event and sample seeding, so they can do testing before the NDA lifts.

I wouldn't like to be a manufacturer of time-limited physical retail goods... like mobos. People can't buy what you don't make, but you also don't want the risk of having warehouses full of them you can't shift. I suspect they can have a good guess at the initial enthusiast market, but the ongoing mass market numbers are anyone's guess.

Keeping on the hype train, anyone keeping tabs on rumoured key dates? Two I have in mind, not checked in any meaningful way, was is the 28th for the reveal at some event, and availability from 2nd? Anyone know different?

I find it amusing watching the movements of various tech media celebrities. Reading between the lines, I think some have been to a press event and sample seeding, so they can do testing before the NDA lifts.
They plan for that.. like a restaurant with extra food. ;)

Those are the last dates we've heard...

That's uhh.. that show it works... media generally gets samples early for a review on launch day.

I know I will need help on this one :)

AMD has said that they would be on a tock, tock, tock process. They have already stated a ZEN+ is in the works.
Can AMD jump from a 14nm to a 10nm-8nm in 2 years?????

were already completely speculating zen why start on the next gen already lol.

I know I will need help on this one :)

AMD has said that they would be on a tock, tock, tock process. They have already stated a ZEN+ is in the works.
Can AMD jump from a 14nm to a 10nm-8nm in 2 years?????

Of course it's in the works, CPU's take YEARS to develop ground-up...

NDA is still up. No performance numbers until 3/2.. Just other info confirmed. I think we just want to see the numbers already still. :)

Ok, there's probably multiple NDAs for different parts... but still, I half-watched (at work!) the Linus Tech Tips video and they got up close to the demo machines as previously seen. So, no in depth benchmarks, but still clarifying some points. I'll need to look at that in more detail at a more suitable time.

A very quick look at two of the UK suppliers I use doesn't reveal any pre-order ability yet.

Back