• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I went back and rechecked a link with pictures of motherboards.
If you look closely at the PCIe x16 3.0, there is a metal bracket around the slots.
I forgot where I read it but this is to help reinforce the slot for heavy VGA cards.
boards have had this for 2 generations now on the intel side...

boards have had this for 2 generations now on the intel side...
Cool, but do Intel pci-e slots fall off? [emoji14]

I'm kidding but in seriousness I have never had an issue with the pcie slot needing extra support. I have on the other hand wished GPU makes would include a bracket or a kickstand if the card is 'large and heavy'. I'd rather Mobo makers don't waste the $.15 (and then charge significantly more) for this feature.

It's one of the features in new motherboards, the same as RGB LED, stronger DIMM slots etc. Simply when they have nothing to add then they look for anything what can be put into marketing materials. In real it doesn't change anything. I haven't seen damaged PCIE slot because of too heavy graphics card. I'm not saying it can't happen but I think it will be more like a user's fault rather than PCIE slot weakness.

Damaging the DIMM or PCIE slots is one of those things I've heard vaguely mentioned, but never really seen or experienced myself. The only way I could figure to do it would be to either wrench the DIMM or card sideways during installation, or pull/push it with so much force that it cracked the board. :eek: I mean, those are soldered through-hole pins, it's not like a surface-mount part were the legs might lift off the top of the board... Actually, aren't most M.2 slots surface mount?

I really wish they'd bring back XL-ATX

I really liked boards that large with a ****load of PCI slots

Maybe I'm just too oldschool

Nothing wrong with being oldschool. :cool:

What kind of cards are you using that you require more slots? Unfortunately, 2 graphics cards and maybe a sound card or something is about as much as most folks ever use these days.

I'm kidding but in seriousness I have never had an issue with the pcie slot needing extra support. I have on the other hand wished GPU makes would include a bracket or a kickstand if the card is 'large and heavy'. I'd rather Mobo makers don't waste the $.15 (and then charge significantly more) for this feature.
It's funny you bring this up when I got my HAF-X case and it had a VGA support bracket in a bag and I looked at the damn thing like.... WTF is this for? Looks in confusing multilingual instructions....Oh.....VGA support bracket... What the....

I have heard of people using 2lb fishing line for this but looks wise I just couldn't do it.

Some cases come with anti-droop support for longer GPUs. Also never had a problem with cards, even after a system fell off a chair onto a wood floor. Internals were all fine. Only damage was a single bent thumbscrew on the back.

yes. It isn't common but it happens!! See Woomack's post... it's mostly marketing.

But again, these aren't remotely new 'features'. :)

Some cases come with anti-droop support for longer GPUs. Also never had a problem with cards, even after a system fell off a chair onto a wood floor. Internals were all fine. Only damage was a single bent thumbscrew on the back.

When I got my G1 970's in the mail I was shocked at how heavy the 3 fan cards actually were.
Luckily with the positioning of my PCI-E power cable it gives them extra support

yes. It isn't common but it happens!! See Woomack's post... it's mostly marketing.

But again, these aren't remotely new 'features'. :)
Features they bill us for [emoji14]

I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying it really doesn't happen with any sort of frequency that demands this feature. Seems silly to me [emoji14]

It's funny you bring this up when I got my HAF-X case and it had a VGA support bracket in a bag and I looked at the damn thing like.... WTF is this for? Looks in confusing multilingual instructions....Oh.....VGA support bracket... What the....

I have heard of people using 2lb fishing line for this but looks wise I just couldn't do it.
I have thought about 3d printing a little kickstand to support the GPU in my NZXT S340. With the window in the side panel, you can see the GPU tilted, but other than upsetting my OCD, it's not a huge issue. Plus with my case, you could zip-tie the GPU power cable to it. It is 100% for appearance.... Wouldn't do anything else.

Man you wanna see a heavy card, the KPE 980Ti. Just imagine that aluminum ACX cooler made from solid copper. The K|ngP|n is easily twice the weight of a normal card. I couldn't believe it really.

Man you wanna see a heavy card, the KPE 980Ti. Just imagine that aluminum ACX cooler made from solid copper. The K|ngP|n is easily twice the weight of a normal card. I couldn't believe it really.

My K|NGP|N 980 was crazy heavy too

I went back and rechecked a link with pictures of motherboards.
If you look closely at the PCIe x16 3.0, there is a metal bracket around the slots.
I forgot where I read it but this is to help reinforce the slot for heavy VGA cards.

Dual purpose: Stability and noise reduction of EMI with high speed PCI-E 3.0.

Off topic but,

Just last night my youngest son told me his friend (a self proclaimed computer expert :rolleyes: ) managed to get his ram installed backwards. I asked how that's possible since they have been keyed for one direction forever. He said he just mashed it in there. I just don't understand the stupidity of some people.

OK, back on topic.

Last edited:
Off topic but,

Just last night my youngest son told me his friend (a self proclaimed computer expert :rolleyes: ) managed to get his ram installed backwards. I asked how that's possible since they have been keyed for one direction forever. He said he just mashed it in there. I just don't understand the stupidity of some people.

OK, back on topic.

i.....have done that.

Lol cpuz says ryzen 8 core processor? That's new!

ahh I forgot about the emi... another marketing point. :)

AFIK the only issue CPUz had was with the voltages. One thing to note is those don't have the "ES" moniker. That might account for the name. Retail samples ????

Last edited:
Back