• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
again the same source ... also 4GHz ? it's like stock and doesn't look good:
"We just tested a 1700, it hit 4.0GHz stable in everything, but ONLY in the Crosshair mainboard, the lower-end boards it was hovering around 3.80GHz as the VRM’s were cooking with extra voltage. It however was maxing around 4050MHz, so I’d say 1700 can do 3.9-4.1GHz, of course the 1800X will probably do 4.1-4.3 as no doubt better binned, but if your clocking the motherboard has a big impact on the overclock and so far Asus Crosshair and Asrock Taichi seem the best two."

So it's what I'm talking about regarding motherboards. 65W TDP and problems with temps ? Is this a joke ? There are boards like X99 ITX from ASRock which support 18 core Xeons so what is causing 65-95W TDP CPU to cause so much issues on X370 boards ?

Man I hope we don't have another FX/mobo fiasco. Big cpu on cheap little board and everyone has a problem

"In fact, according to the latest benchmarks Ryzen offers even better single-threaded performance/clock than Intel’s Kaby Lake."

3fd7bf2596e8ab2c9110b44b1cf216e3.jpg

I'm not all about LEDs and stuff but if manufacturers don't care to make anything what will match Intel motherboards then it means they don't trust it will sell good. I just don't want to see the same as was with FX boards and that's all.
Btw benching with dice/ln2 on a board with RGB LEDs in rainbow mode looks cool :p

So far all these "leaks" give hope to gamers but somehow I don't feel it will bring anything really good for competitive overclocking with current expected clocks. If I'm right then it won't run on older OS so there won't be any advantage of single core performance in older benchmarks. In new benchmarks cpu threads count but also higher frequency. If it won't make ~5.5GHz+ then it simply won't beat Intel in most tests.

Will wait for B350 board reviews. Will drop Ryzen 1500 6C/12T into it and aim for 3.8-4Ghz. Will have best value gaming machine in town :D

Crosshair 4 is listed as $349 AUD here. Asus Prime B350-Plus is listed as $149 AUD

Don't need any of the extra features of a more expensive board honestly.

+1 on that. :thup:

Ryzen 5 1500 is the one I wish was coming out now for a nice mini ITX build but maybe with an X300 motherboard.

Intel max turbo clock is a myth on current OS. OS like new Windows will balance load and CPU will never go up to max turbo frequency. Look at the laptops. To see max clock in CPU-Z you have to disable all other cores or force it other way. The same is on Xeons. Even 2nd step isn't easy. At the end mobile i5 are for most of the time as good as i3.
When you overclock something manually then you force max ratio but at auto, turbo boost will never reach it in typical environment.
When I did a simple test with i5 6600k running stock default Bios settings with Prime95 running a single thread max turbo was ~3.7-3.9GHz while windows scheduler rotates on cores.
Prime95 one thread default.jpg
I always said I do video editing so I'm covered 😋
What video editor do you use?

That there always is, I was wondering more how will the CPU be recognised if you install fresh ? Extra drivers in a USB pen ? And hopefully we don't get another FX screwup in that task manager reportes only half the cores...

Microsoft will not be making M$ specific drivers for anything but Windows 10 on new chips. Hardware manufacturers can make drivers (chipsets, etc.) but new instructions in CPUs won't be coded for earlier OS. And I hope I wrote that correctly.

Maybe they are staggering the release of RGB LED laden boards for a product stack refresh. Makes business sense anyway. :-/

I'm super sad about the 1400x not coming out yet :/

Oh well, still gonna sell my parts and work on my Hw for my EE classes. Don't need to be playing with new hardware anyways. Plus it gives me time to save up for some of the other things I wanted, such as an nvme m.2 drive :)

Maybe they are staggering the release of RGB LED laden boards for a product stack refresh. Makes business sense anyway. :-/

I pointed this out awhile ago. Probably the same reason for lower end board not performing well with overclocking. You can bet I'll try to debunk this when I get my Asus board. Ripple's be warned, I will squash thee.

Call me old-fashioned, but since when did RGB LEDs become an indispensable feature on motherboards? The suggestion that there might be issues with VRMs overheating on all but the high end boards is far more troubling in my mind, but if LEDs are the only feature missing from the higher end boards, I think I'll be fine with the current offerings. I've never really been one for the "fishtank" look anyway. My case is opaque, so all of this is irrelevant to me. Bah humbug!

Intel max turbo clock is a myth on current OS. OS like new Windows will balance load and CPU will never go up to max turbo frequency. Look at the laptops. To see max clock in CPU-Z you have to disable all other cores or force it other way. The same is on Xeons. Even 2nd step isn't easy. At the end mobile i5 are for most of the time as good as i3.
When you overclock something manually then you force max ratio but at auto, turbo boost will never reach it in typical environment.

I really don't care how high is turbo frequency when I set everything manually anyway. My only concern is possible difference between all higher chips like maximum frequency or any changes in architecture which are not described in general specification. I wouldn't be happy to buy a CPU and 1-2 weeks later find out it won't overclock as high as higher version which I could buy but I wanted to save $50-100. Like Janus said, all are pre-ordering these chips but really we don't know anything except what marketing want's us to know. There were no real tests of Ryzen but somehow AMD is pushing pre-orders as official big thing.

My point of view is a bit different ( and some here share that ). I will buy it anyway regardless how it will perform also because I'm curious how is works and I know that in most reviews I won't read all I want because most reviewers are only reviewers and have no additional knowledge about hardware. There are single websites which are providing good articles and most others are only copy/paste marketing stuff.

Funny is to see how all believe in most leaks but most won't even stop for a moment and think why all "leaks" are provided by 2-3 websites. I'm don't want to create next conspiracy theory but most of that is controlled by AMD and those who work with marketing know that from most previous premieres. They made a great job considering how many pre-orders were already made.

Every single one of my Intel products has zero issues hitting max boost on the rated number of cores. My stupid laptops i7 5500u will sit at maximum boost until the cooling on it hits 90C. The Xeon in my server will float cores up to max boost as needed with out issue, so I do not know what systems you are looking at or comparing, but I have never seen nor heard of the issue you describe.

Man I hope we don't have another FX/mobo fiasco. Big cpu on cheap little board and everyone has a problem

First batch of chips from glofo on a new node. People had to expect them to suck power, I mean the 480 exceeded AMD's estimates by 50%?... The boards look like they had a lot of VRM for the rated TDP's, but TDP's like contrast ratios on monitors these are not comparable between brands or even different series of products. The rumor mill stuff I saw put them at the same and slightly higher power consumption than Intel HEDT parts, this makes sense seeing how they are the same core counts. Can't really expect them to pull the same wattage as a 4 core 8 thread chip with double the parts onboard. This doesn't mean anything awful IMO, but a hard limit of 4-4.3 on all of the chips will mean even broadwell-e is clocking better and with a very very similar IPC (from leaks so grain of salt) that will leave them in the lead in quite a few different situations.

In other news it appears intel is trying to get more intel products into the hands of their ground level sales. For the first time ever they are offering a spring deal

retail-edge.png

They need people to play with these chips on the AMD and Intel side only to fall back to intel is my assumption on strategy.

The lighting wasn't the factor for my mobo choice, but it didn't hurt. I do have a fish tank, and I like it. I spent a lot (for me) of money on what I thought was a nice rig and some time and effort in to making it look decent. I like looking at what I built and seeing all that techy goodness bathed in pale blue light. LOL

Call me old-fashioned, but since when did RGB LEDs become an indispensable feature on motherboards? The suggestion that there might be issues with VRMs overheating on all but the high end boards is far more troubling in my mind, but if LEDs are the only feature missing from the higher end boards, I think I'll be fine with the current offerings. I've never really been one for the "fishtank" look anyway. My case is opaque, so all of this is irrelevant to me. Bah humbug!

I don't care for all the lights either after I take a look for the first time "wow" then it is just a waste of cost for me. Just give me a board that does not overheat and throttle at a low cost, give me the basics for a mild overclock with air.:)

RGB LEDs are for christmas.:D

Back