• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what was so bad about a 4.5ghz oc ? that was the higher end of avg when they were released . the 6300 was not a side grade from a 4.5ghz Ivy .
But I do mess playing with amds , Thunderbirds , Athlons M (were really really fun) , a64's , x2's had them all till c2ds came out and changed the game.
4.5Ghz on a really good day was stable. Was sitting at 4.3Ghz mostly. I was expecting less hassle to overclock it that high, and I was surely not expecting many WHEA errors and disk corruption.. :shrug:

Overclocking is never guaranteed. Most users who are sharing results on the forums, tested more than 1 chip. Many don't want to show results on average or below average chips. Later all who are reading that are assuming that their CPU should pass at least 4.5GHz on stock and are disappointed if it won't make that. I'm talking here about what I see on the forums, not pointing at any forum member.

Picking AMD over Intel most users are counting on:
1. Good enough performance which let them play games at high details
2. Fun in overclocking of less expensive chips ( comparing to Pentiums or i3 )
3. Low price of high performance platform
... and what also counts in most new computers:
4. Quiet work ( I'm not mentioning power usage as it's less important for most users )

In real nothing from above is true if you also calculate general costs.
1. Performance of lower and medium AMD chips is good enough for some applications but not for all. Many games run much better on even low end Intel. Many applications are optimized only for Intel.
2. Fun is only till the point where it meets your expectations. Many users think that their 5GHz AMD will be much better than Intel while stock clocked i5/i7 is still faster than 5GHz AMD in many applications. So yes all is fine till you start any comparison.
I'm talking here about new chips and users who are not using pc for benching. There are overclockers who OC for sport everything, regardless of performance ( I make that too ).
3. Low price become higher than expected when you have to add better motherboard and better cooling. There are many threads made by users who were saving on motherboard or cooling so I don't think I have say much more.
4. Quiet work requires to use expensive cooling ( comparing to hardware value ). Stock cooler can't even handle FX 8xxx on stock clocks and is really noisy. Intel stock cooler still let you OC some and is quiet. Nothing special but keeps some level of comfort while work.

So again what I said above is related to most users, let's say average gamers or new overclockers. Those who are extreme ( in any way ) are not counting here. Still we are talking about 95%+ users.

At the end all are picking Intel for games and for work. In graphics is 50/50% but AMD is losing recently because of last generation which was generally refresh + 3 highly overpriced chips. Not to mention half year delay when Nvidia dominated market with GTX900 series and had enough time to drop prices before Fury release.

Eh, I feel like I'm repeating myself too often lately.

Okay ..... Let's start the speculations again :)

Has anyone else heard about AMD releasing their new AM4 motherboard in March/April ?????????
Has anyone else heard about AMD releasing a new APU (Bristol Ridge) in March/April ????????

Now for some of my thoughts on AMD's new ZEN CPU:

AMD is dropping the CMT idea and jumping on the SMT train. As this is AMD's first time playing with SMT, where is the performance going to fall in. Will it be like the P4, where it was faster to turn of HT sometimes or some where close to SB??????
One thing Intel has done on each new CPU is refine it's HT process.

I'm not sure how this got past me but: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/39914-intel-not-ahead-of-the-foundries

Intel admitted that its 32nm technology was behind the comparable 28nm offerings in terms of gate pitch-by-metal pitch (density). Same thing with Intel's 22nm relative to foundry 20nm offerings. However when it got to the 14/16-nanometer node Intel started claiming that it had a lead over the Foundries.

I'm not going to put a lot of belief into this statement, but I will say its likely true, but could most definitely be false (20% confidence). Since this is a giant speculation thread based on no actual facts because of the industries, I'll add this to discussion:

If Foundries such as GF and TSMC can create a better 14/16nm transistor than Intel, companies like AMD could see a performance benefit. Now, this doesn't mean that Intel couldn't come to these same companies and use their technologies while they internally tweak. I'm not sure if I've heard Intel using other foundries, but I would bet a lot that they have. Again, we see a small sliver of light for the Green Team, but I will stand by and say: We'll see.

For grins to see Asus products I typed in AM4 and got this message...

http://www.asus.com/us/Search/?SearchKey=AM4

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Does someone have the proper credentials????

HHhmmm. Does this mean they have product specifications un-available to the public eyeballs at this current time?

It's coming. Soon hopefully!

Asus access denied.png

One thing I did miss in K's article is the 8 Channel DDR4...interesting. I mean quad channel isn't used for most things, so 8 is overkill.

I wish AMD would focus on the here and now instead of prepping for the future with something that has relative little use now.

One thing I did miss in K's article is the 8 Channel DDR4...interesting. I mean quad channel isn't used for most things, so 8 is overkill.

I wish AMD would focus on the here and now instead of prepping for the future with something that has relative little use now.

Remember they're talking about the Opteron there, not the consumer desktop parts. With AMD's typical support for more GBs than you can actually fit on a standard-form-factor board with current DRAM density, there's plenty of stuff that could be done with that kind of bandwidth if your wallet is fat.

Gives me hope, althopugh however unlikely it will be, that AMD does have the potential to also roll out something to battle with X99....

There's always a possibility AMD tends to think out of the box sometimes it works (IMC)(A64) sometimes it doesn't (bulldozer). Whether or not it works, this guy will have one anyway. Who know's it might be a collector's item as AMD's last CPU Ha ha

Been waiting so long..... It don't even matter any more.

If it beats Intel anything.... so will the prices. Hope it's slightly under par personally.

Just to add some fuel to the fire. http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/90458-amd-zen-based-opteron-chips-detailed-cern-slides/

I know I'm not waiting until 2017 to upgrade.

From your link:
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/90458-amd-zen-based-opteron-chips-detailed-cern-slides/ said:
The first Zen-based processors for high-end gaming PCs are expected before the end of the current year, likely to debut in pre-built systems. The Opteron chips, discussed above, are expected to reach the market early in 2017.

Back