• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wont take much for intel to price the 6850K right there with it, remember they already sold them in that price point for retail edge and continued to make money off them.
Well I've only seen them on the retail market for much higher. IIRC, Microcenter once sold the i7-6800K for around $300 but now they're going for $360; the i7-6850K is now $550. The most I ever paid for a CPU was $299.99 my first i7 5820K with $30 off the motherboard. The next one I got used for $250. I'm not going over $300 EVER for a CPU and prefer to stay around $200 if possible. That's why I have zero interest in the initial R7 release with only the high-priced CPUs available. I'll pass on them and wait for the R3/R5 release later in the year since I'm happy with the setups I have now.

Wont take much for intel to price the 6850K right there with it, remember they already sold them in that price point for retail edge and continued to make money off them.

cpuz4544944.png

I am personally super curious of the clockspeed they actually ran at I assume it was under XFR so no one will be able to guess that they hit could be anything from 4-5ghz with the way the hype train is going, if it is at a similar clockspeed to my 6850K I am impressed especially at the 6.6x speed from single to multithreaded, if it is closer to 5ghz well AMD still has a lot of ground to make up with single core IPC.

Intel dropping the 6850K by half? Good luck.

The 6c12T Multithread score of 12,544.......

Am I missing something? The article claims it to be a 4c/8T...

The chip's model number is listed as ZD3201BBM4K4_34/32_Y. Using the decoder chart, we see it's a third-generation desktop sample with a 3.2GHz base frequency, 3.4GHz boost frequency, and a 65W TDP. It also lets us know that this is a 4-core chip with 2MB of L2 cache and 8MB of L3 cache. To extract these details, all you have to do is match up the letters and numbers on the decoder chart and use the accompanying legend to translate it all.

Am I missing something? The article claims it to be a 4c/8T...

It's explained in the comments below that they had picked a 4C/8T part number for decoding, but the bench was done on the 6C/12T part. Here's the decoding for the 6C/12T R5 1600X

Ryzen 5 1600X part number - ZD3301BBM6IF4_37/33:

Z=QS chip
D=Desktop (Summit Ridge, in this case)
330=3.30GHz base frequency
1=model revision number
BB=65W
M=physical package (AM4 platform)
6=6-core processor
I=?? (unknown cache amount)
F4=B stepping
37=3.70GHz boost clock
33=3.30GHz base clock

Not uncommon cdawall

Companies like Foxconn works in environments where they must be dual-lingual ever second of the day. You might have been seeing two different systems, one from AMD and the other an in house testing system.

Not uncommon cdawall

Companies like Foxconn works in environments where they must be dual-lingual ever second of the day. You might have been seeing two different systems, one from AMD and the other an in house testing system.

Right and that is completely possible, it is also possible rig two is a [email protected] because it scores almost exactly the same as those tests did...

My copy of CPUz reads the multithread bench score of the 5960x@12156

Which was why I made that comment

I guess the difference then is how one defines 'destroyed'. Less than 400 points (of 12k+) and 4% is not what I would call destroyed. :)

AMD stated that the Ryzen can auto OC in 25mhz segments instead of 100mhz.
Is this hardwired to the CPU or is the MB also involved?? Just hoping that we will have finer control when manually OCing :)

I don't agree. AMD said the Ryzen is on par with Haswell, IPC wise. And it seems they hold to their wor.

Here is my [email protected]/4.3GHz Cache:
View attachment 188269

AMD also said the 480 had better performance per watt than the 1080. Anyone remember how that turned out?

Also taking your score vs mine you have my 6850k by 300mhz and the 6850k scores better single threaded. So even if it can equal haswell (which was slower than haswell-e) it will still have a good bit of ground to catch up with broadwell-e, skylake and kabylake. It also kind of proves they were closer to 5ghz than 4ghz.

AMD also said the 480 had better performance per watt than the 1080. Anyone remember how that turned out?

Also taking your score vs mine you have my 6850k by 300mhz and the 6850k scores better single threaded. So even if it can equal haswell (which was slower than haswell-e) it will still have a good bit of ground to catch up with broadwell-e, skylake and kabylake. It also kind of proves they were closer to 5ghz than 4ghz.

I think Haswell and Haswell-E IPC are the same per clock. (might be wrong though)...

250MHz (5%, which is the Haswell to Broadwell average IPC delta ;))

Back