• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would assume the AM4 socket was designed to cope with quad channel ram. Maybe lower level boards will never implement more than dual channel as it is unlikely to be used and are more cost sensitive. Think it is still only rumour, but for Zen it was dual channel per 4 cores, so it would make some sense to put quad channel into the enthusiast level boards.

Looks like the new Bristol ridge will be coming soon on AM4 maybe even this year. I know it's not ZEN but AFIK they will have the same platform. http://www.pcworld.com/article/3115...essor-is-faster-and-more-power-efficient.html
The new APU is only dual channel ram and not sure if it's just rumours but I thought Zen would be quad. So the "enthusiast" chipset boards may be a bit different.
It's a different, older and 28nm platform...not zen. From your link in fact:

For all its chest thumping, AMD’s Bristol Ridge isn’t the chip many are anticipating. Bristol Ridge continues to be based on the company’s older microarchitecture and is built on an older 28nm manufacturing process too. The main fight is will be centered around AMD’s Zen-based Summit Ridge due out in systems late this year. AMD has claimed it will put it back on par with Intel’s best.

Yeah, it's excavator based APU the lead in for AM4. Still exciting to me. New platform and all

@Shrimp

I've seen the desktop AM4 socket, its not too much different than the AM3+. Now for server I haven't seen, but if its following family history we will see a server socket.

The Opteron will be a 32 core max with GPU integration options. This is AMD's answer to Intel's FPGA based server cpus. The idea behind this is to enable Neural Network and similar vector/parallel style instructions to be ran on more preferred architectures. With this point I highly doubt that the server version of Zen will be available in AM4. Furthermore if we saw desktop opteron this would be way later in the portfolio release. Both Intel and AMD produce their lead platform CPU, and than create other CPUs based on the bad batches. Its not financially possible to create a bunch of different CPU options based on core and frequency. Trickle down economics could learn a thing or two from CPU production.

Thanks for the info Dolk. I appreciate that. However my POV has me gloss things over, so I'll refrain from posting at this forum again. Be well buddy.

Users might not be pleased to learn, however, that AM4 systems will feature different mounting. AMD officials confirmed that the holes in the motherboard have been changed slightly, which could be disheartening to anyone hoping to recycle an existing cooler. It’s possible the cooler dimensions themselves will stay the same, in which case, you might only be on the hook for a new bracket. For now, we’ll have to wait and see.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3124306/hardware/dont-call-amds-upcoming-zen-chip-a-cpu.html

That just made me a little sad on the inside :nuts:

wow, pre-release boards sure do look sparse!

needs more flames and lightning bolts.

Probably because the new Arch will do most of the controlling on chip, notice the absence of any NB chipset

Here's another good rumour

Apple may ditch Intel in favour of AMD's Zen for future macbooks.

I wonder if that says something about pricing? Apple doesn't exactly break the bank on high end parts in their stuff. If AMD can undercut Intel's pricing by enough to get Apple to switch does that mean the rest of us can look forward to the same?

Back