• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Price diff of Intel and AMD Mobo may be explained by a couple things (from some experience with mobo design of Intel Server CPUs):

• PCI-E 3.0 vs PCI-E 2.0, large difference in what is tolerated by signal integrity. More time and effort needs to be put into making sure each PCI-E channel is to spec.
  • Layout: Board layout for Intel can be a nightmare if you don't have Intel helping. Usually you go by their spec but if you want to save space or board layers you are going to have to do a lot of investigation work on your own.
  • Power Design: From my understanding Intel has a much more constrained power requirement than AMD but I can be 100% wrong on this. I have no access to this data. Its an educated guess.

I assumed (yikes!) it was caused by the huge power numbers required by the FX chips. More power+stability=expensive heat.

Just read, re-read, and read again that link. What did AMD claim, vs what is WCCF's interpretation? Did AMD say Summit is double the performance of Orochi? The chart suggests it, but no numbers on the axis (different from the left size) means it could be anything. Also, we don't know the conditions. Were they the same clock?

I'm no Cinebench expert, but recently played with it. It does seem to scale pretty well with total CPU clock and is only minimally affected by ram. It also gains ball park of 30% bonus from HT on recent Intel, so could we assume similar for AMD SMT?

So that leaves me still looking forward to finding out more, but I don't consider this good info to go on.

Who knows, thus why its called "Rumors". Also WCCF loves to create a hype train around a single sentence.

After waiting all day to check out the video from AMD at Computex with some ZEN updates I was left a little disappointed. Below is a link to the AMD Video if you feel like skipping the other stuff and going straight to the part on ZEN it starts at 52 min. The biggest info in the video is that there will be limited sampling to high priority customers in the coming weeks (few weeks).

So the video really didn't offer much more than the write ups I've read. Bummer Bass but thanks for the update. There's an hour you won't get back

Yah. .... well I skipped through most so about 15 min. When I got the link from AMD and read zen demo I was hoping for more. Should of figured.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ams-zen-engineering-sample-specs-leaked.html

Has anyone here discussed this article yet? The info, although unconfirmed, seems to line up with prior information, and given that these are Rev A0 samples, general consensus seems to be that the final versions will likely be clocked higher. If this is to be believed-- and the CPUs are priced competitively on release-- then this seems like very good news.

Yeah saw that a while ago. Interesting but nothing really new or concrete.

One of those 4 cores would be pretty nice I think. Depending on the heat tolerances of the silicone, and if the architecture plays well with overclocking, those should deliver if the IPC is as AMD claims. Atleast that is my hope. Would be nice to know what we are looking at cost wise, but I'm sure we will see that in a few months.

What interested me most was the power ratings. 95W for an 8C/16T processor? Maybe that's just for the lower-clocked engineering sample, but that seems to be a sizeable improvement over the FX-series, especially considering the potential IPC gains from SMT, and places the power envelope on par with Intel. If that's the case, I imagine these may have very good overclocking potential.

All depends piledriver would reach high clock but the same base µarch in the steamroller(7870k)efficiency improved but the OC potential went out the window.

So we should see some AM4 boards soon. I'm sooo looking forward to getting my hands on one

Yeah I may hold out in upgrading my Sabertooth to CIV-Z. But I could use that extra CPU power for my 9590.

As for the power change, no surprise here. 14nm Fin-fet has a massive change in TDP for CPUs. Intel's power changes were more gradual since they have a better power gating architecture than AMD. 200Watt CPUs should still remain in the server or high-end desktop.

constant feeling it will be again too late to make any change on the market ...

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-es-benchmarks/

I'm not even going to try working out what CPU performance might be from a GPU leaning benchmark... but take it for what its worth.

It is likely that this test was done to test performance gains with DX 12. Apparantly (and correct me if I am wrong here), DX 12 will allow better performance scaling with high CPU core counts, so an 8-core Zen will perform favorably in applications like this.

Good comparing to 5 year old series ... it just supposed to be good :)
As I said, I just hope it won't be released too late and that overclocking potential is good as current 2.8GHz clock isn't telling much except it's still not enough against new Intels regardless of number of cores.

I'd say we are only seeing a low baseline of performance for this chip. ES-1D seems to indicate silicon Step D. Thats a coin toss in if the silicon is close to the end of its maturity or near the beginning. Than you have the speeds, 2.8GHz/3.2GHz. AMD is known to push their mainstream desktop CPUs way into the 3GHz region, and always trying to make chips that start off near 4.0GHz.

But looking at whats in front of me and not speculating, the numbers seem to indicate that this is a typical increase over the last AMD generation (exclude Intel).

Back