• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am not gonna put any faith in claims made before release.
I mean, anyone remember how the head of Lionhead was all like "It's gonna be the best game ever" when he was gloating about Fable?
Yeah.......How did that turn out.

For its time and day, that statement was ABSOLUTELY true. I cant think of any Fable contemporaries that match graphics or openworld fun. Story was ... Ok. n
Disclaimer: Im a Fable fanboy. Loves the Fable :)
It's never a good idea to start bragging about what results you have going on in a testing environment.

I mean, you will likely run into the same results Sony or Ashley Madison did when they said their servers were "Unhackable."

I learned a word that is an actual term for what those companies were doing. Lying :) No seriously theres a term for lies told in the name of sales, and those things are under that category. I agree that we will have to wait and see what AMD pulls out of its box of tricks this time though. I jumped in at the Phenom II stage of development but have read about the releases of the FX chips and their dissapointments. I hoop AMD doesnt make a repeat performance.

Edit: Did I see 14nm architecture with a 95W TDP ? with 8 cores? If they said anything about clock speed I missed it, but the first two are enough to be excited about.

LOL, I loved fable to, but best game ever.........erm........I keep spending hours on borderlands 2...even though I've hit level cap on 2 characters............and I don't know why I keep playing...........

Nope, I don't, cos whats out now costs half as much LOL. take Intels top of the line chip, and AMDs, which costs half as much as the other lol.

As long as what I upgrade to performs better than what I had, I am happy, I can always get it to run faster later on my own LOL.

Plus, rather save money on the CPU, and have more for modding/GPU........SSDs, replacing said SSDs when you do too much tweaking on the hard drive and something breaks lol.

All I know, is best game series, story wise.....Halo.....what is it now, 15 years, spanning games, books, anime, online mini-series....
Now, if they could somehow come up with a decent Dr. Who universe game.........would have to be an MMO.

Don't you want AMD to thrive? To do that they need to charge a realistic price for a competitive cpu. Not "half as much".

When a products costs half as much the plan is always to make up for it in volume. Sell twice as much and the low price wont matter. Also are depriving the competition of twice as many customers. Taking money from Intel should be just as large an objective for AMD as anything else. I know all that might be obvious but...someone had to say it :)

Would that be enough though? 50% still wouldnt leave them with enough capitol to compete with the next round of Intel procs. I think they need a clean sweep this time (80%+ ) to really fatten themselves up for Intel's next push into the market with their revised skylake's that are sure to be coming up soon after Zen....

What I woner is if tehy will try to push consumer level 12/16 core procs at us. I fell that if their initial offering is weak enough we may see a set of 12/16 core monsters in an attempted technological apology.

When a products costs half as much the plan is always to make up for it in volume. Sell twice as much and the low price wont matter. Also are depriving the competition of twice as many customers. Taking money from Intel should be just as large an objective for AMD as anything else. I know all that might be obvious but...someone had to say it :)

More obvious to some. In my (very) brief stint in retail electronics , the Rule was simple: Lose money on the deal if you have to , but take the customer out of the market before they get to BB. Because they have the same rule. No matter how good a deal you offer , the competition will beat it if they get the chance. I think it would be a viable strategy for AMD to temper first year profit expectations with the ability to take dollars from Intel. Of course , all this depends on an as yet unknown product. As much as I'm satisfied with my FX (for my needs) it's performance is seriously below it's promise.

@chrisjames you know what I mean.

A decent percentage less than $1100+ for a cpu.

The problem is, you can't honestly believe that they will be trying to complete with the Haswell-E line of CPUs, I imagine their performance metrics are mostly pointed at the mid-range/consumer-level CPUs (the 4770k/4790k and maybe the 6700k) or possibly even just their i5 variants. I can't imagine AMD trying to compete with $1000 CPUs outside of their server-based Opteron CPUs. The price issue right now is that if you buy AMD's highest end CPU and a motherboard to match you are spending very closely (within 10%) to the cost of an Intel system that is almost every metric is a better performer.

The problem is, you can't honestly believe that they will be trying to complete with the Haswell-E line of CPUs, I imagine their performance metrics are mostly pointed at the mid-range/consumer-level CPUs (the 4770k/4790k and maybe the 6700k) or possibly even just their i5 variants. I can't imagine AMD trying to compete with $1000 CPUs outside of their server-based Opteron CPUs. The price issue right now is that if you buy AMD's highest end CPU and a motherboard to match you are spending very closely (within 10%) to the cost of an Intel system that is almost every metric is a better performer.

We don't know what they're trying to compete with yet. I'm not sure a price debate based on current offerings is automatically a forecast of things to come. Having said that , it also isn't unreasonable , given AMD's promise/delivery ratio in the performance arena. Since the first whiff of Bullsnoozer , AMD has been great at providing something to talk about and then being late with a product that would have disappointed even if it had been on time. I really hope FX was a hiccup in their CPU development and not what killed them.

Who knows if they will try and directly compete with anything, or just try and hold onto their market share, who knows they may have a Fiorina at the helm.

Regardless, they need to do something. What were they trying to do with Bulldozer again, wasn't that supposed to be the first computer designed CPU or something, I forget half the marketing BS that was put out there.

If true, go back to drafting on engineering tables, with nice sheets of blue/white paper, and the nice smell of BigPink erasers filling the air.

I really truly hope the FX crap, was just an episode of putting too much faith in tech, instead of where it should be, the engineers *the squishy ones* not the ones you plug into a wall. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I think they be more like late WW1 Stoßtruppe squads.

*hides in trench*

Dont you think the release of Zen has been more tight lipped than the release of the FX series? I think I see more hype from the AMD enthusiasts than from AMD

Back