• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is the 4690K a problem at the moment?

No not really. But then again neither was my FX-9590.

The step to DDR4 would be nice. All things considered DDR3 is dated tech at this point for both Intel and AMD.....

I'd like to jump on the band wagon to be honest and just shoot for a Nice NEW board and NEW Cpu and NEW memory considering the tech at my house is already at that couple few year old mark.

16 threads sure is appealing fellas. It really is. DDR4 is appealing as well as other miscellaneous features.

Most of us don't really need anything new but we are too deep in this hobby to stay with couple of years old system. I guess we just need new toys from time to time.

Most of us don't really need anything new but we are too deep in this hobby to stay with couple of years old system. I guess we just need new toys from time to time.

Lots of truth there!

No not really. But then again neither was my FX-9590.

The step to DDR4 would be nice. All things considered DDR3 is dated tech at this point for both Intel and AMD.....

I'd like to jump on the band wagon to be honest and just shoot for a Nice NEW board and NEW Cpu and NEW memory considering the tech at my house is already at that couple few year old mark.

And that explains why the rig I just defended and praised got replaced with the one in my sig.

Sooo true!

I just grab a 4 years old laptop with an i7 quad, and when I use it for work (Office, PS, InDesign), I can't notice any real difference with the desktop in sig. I don't run a graphic design studio, for sure, but for most of us, those 4/5 years old CPU's/platform are much enough I think.

The only thing that really needs update quite often (couple of years max?) nowaday, is the GPU IMO.

So very true Woomack! My 13 yr old is still using my 2500k/Asrock Z77 Ext 4 with a GTX 670 and has no issues playing any of the newer game titles @ 1080p even while recording his videos. I have no earthly "need" for a new setup but I'm getting a Ryzen setup the day it's released! :D

^Same here. I got my 2500k used a few years ago just so I had something new to play with (FX8320 before that). Now I'm looking to get something new to play with this year. I'm not set on getting AMD but I think they will be cheaper and performance will be close enough.

Yay, all about trend! HEck, I play BFHL@1080p/50fps all maxed out except AA2x on the media rig in sig with a 280x...

Hey. Listen. I just don't want to be the one going around being jealous because You all got new rigs and I'm stuck with...... sig..... slaps face with own hand and bleeds his own blood.

Gah! 8 threads folding and 8 threads gaming. 16GB DDR4. My original 6GB Titan. maybe a 2nd one down the road as them prices drop a little more on them.......

Woomack, you couldn't have said it better. It's such a good hobby too. Brings brothers together from all over to argue, agree, love and hate each other but in the end..... We all love it and carry on with Awesome rigs. Doesn't really matter if it's AMD or not. Heck some one still running Pentium III's out there, god bless them too.

Brings brothers together from all over to argue, agree, love and hate each other but in the end..... We all love it and carry on with Awesome rigs. Doesn't really matter if it's AMD or not. Heck some one still running Pentium III's out there, god bless them too.
Well said Shrimpy :cheers: to that. I still have a running Maximus PC Pentium II 350 mhz.

Those P III's make a good server I'll tell ya :)

Honestly, deep down I kinda regret buying the 6700k setup... Maybe I should have stuck it out and buy Ryzen..

I hope AMD knocks Intel's socks off, that would be sweet! :D

Those P III's make a good server I'll tell ya :)

Honestly, deep down I kinda regret buying the 6700k setup... Maybe I should have stuck it out and buy Ryzen..

I hope AMD knocks Intel's socks off, that would be sweet! :D

Don't regret that! It's a sweet chip, one of the all time best for its era. Throw in a hot GPU and you have a monster of a rig. Seriously, DDR4 at 3000+ MHz and you're on top of the world. Throw in a little OC and nothing can stop you.

Don't regret that! It's a sweet chip, one of the all time best for its era. Throw in a hot GPU and you have a monster of a rig. Seriously, DDR4 at 3000+ MHz and you're on top of the world. Throw in a little OC and nothing can stop you.

Alaric is 100% right: it is a damn fast CPU!

But "I hope AMD knocks Intel's socks off" as well! ;)

An interesting quote from another forum:

"I think that AMD keeps the whole system in mind whereas Intel only thinks about the CPU. AMD designs CPU's AND GPU's, so that you can get the best possible experience. Pair Ryzen with a 1050, 1050 ti, or 1060, then pair it with an RX 460, 470, or 480. I'd put money on there being a difference in AMD's favor. Intel and nVidia don't have that advantage, they don't get developed that closely together."

And I think he's right. If you pair an AMD card with an AMD CPU, I'd say that's probably the best way to get every last drop out of your system. I believe they specially design their cards and chips to go together. Sure, you can slap any old GPU in an AM4 motherboard. But the best one to use is one from Polaris or Vega.

I don't think that is the case at all. AMD wants to sell all the video cards it can. The majority, the vast majority will be paired with Intel processors. So it is in their best interests that they perform the same no matter the platform they are paired with.

I don't think that is the case at all. AMD wants to sell all the video cards it can. The majority, the vast majority will be paired with Intel processors. So it is in their best interests that they perform the same no matter the platform they are paired with.

Agreed, that would not make sense to favour AMD CPU's. What is possible though, is that Ryzen/Vega have specific set of instructions for each other. My two cents...

Yeah, just don't **** your money away on a Gigabyte mobo. I'm a mushroom cloud layin' mother f^%$#@! at the moment with Giga's crap. Ryzen, ASUS, and Vega is where I'm looking now.

Lets just hope Gygabyte has its S*** together with their new release motherboards. Ultimately their will be people that will buy them and come here looking for help.

Lets just hope Gygabyte has its S*** together with their new release motherboards. Ultimately their will be people that will buy them and come here looking for help.

Yeah, just don't **** your money away on a Gigabyte mobo. I'm a mushroom cloud layin' mother f^%$#@! at the moment with Giga's crap. Ryzen, ASUS, and Vega is where I'm looking now.
Did I miss something? My board has been pretty decent so far... It's one of their newer(-ish) ones, so much so they changed the model number and not just the revision (earlier ud5s had some problems from my understanding).

Im just not a fan of Gigabyte Bios and Bios layout and wording. Haven't had too many of their boards, but the UD7 was really nice in terms of looks and functionality. Quality is there, they've sold quite a few through the years of chipsets.

Own more Giga boards more likely to break one. I typically stick with Asus so I've broken more of them than the Gigabytes.... lol

Im just not a fan of Gigabyte Bios and Bios layout and wording. Haven't had too many of their boards, but the UD7 was really nice in terms of looks and functionality. Quality is there, they've sold quite a few through the years of chipsets.

Own more Giga boards more likely to break one. I typically stick with Asus so I've broken more of them than the Gigabytes.... lol

What wording do you not like on the Gigabyte motherboard? I like everything about their Bios.

Last edited:
Im just not a fan of Gigabyte Bios and Bios layout and wording.

If the layout and wording in the bios is the worst thing about a board, you're onto a winner in my books.

None of the gigabytes I've used, or used when building for others have ever failed. Been solid for me and seem to have all the necessary features.

Only MSI really dropped the ball with AM3 motherboards.

So true. The amount of times I've almost purchased a new mobo and cpu in the last couple of years.....................

DDR4 at 3000+ MHz and you're on top of the world. Throw in a little OC and nothing can stop you.

Your whole comment is right, these lines made me chuckle.

Last edited:
Back