• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's my concern. So let's say Ryzen is a home run for AMD and lots of people switch from Intel to AMD like happened when the Athon 64 came out with the first integrated IMC and AMD was briefly on top. With Intel's much larger R&D budget it won't take long for them to come up with something faster and AMD will be pushed under for another ten years. And all those people who switched back to AMD will be in the position of having to shell out a lot of bucks to get back up to snuff with Intel. New CPU and new motherboard to buy and maybe another OS purchase since the Windows 10 activation with the AMD motherboard would no longer be valid.

Here's my concern. So let's say Ryzen is a home run for AMD and lots of people switch from Intel to AMD like happened when the Athon 64 came out with the first integrated IMC and AMD was briefly on top. With Intel's much larger R&D budget it won't take long for them to come up with something faster and AMD will be pushed under for another ten years. And all those people who switched back to AMD will be in the position of having to shell out a lot of bucks to get back up to snuff with Intel. New CPU and new motherboard to buy.
So what? That's what makes the world turn. It's business.
Besides, you're assuming Intel is holding back something. What if they aren't? What if they got caught with their collective pants down? It takes years to design a chip from the ground up.

So.....ask the masses. There are people here that have X99 rigs and 5960X's for their daily rigs. Why not ask what they do with them.
That was my point, they wouldn't consider a quad core when they can get an 6 or an 8 core. But comparing a quad to a 6 and touting it's multi-threading as being superior can be misleading. Three things matter from my point of view. IPC/single threading performance, cost, and usage (how much multi-threading actually matters).

If I do care more about multi-threading, and I can baseline off of what the IPC/single threaded performance is, then it's just a matter of what can I afford.

On the flip side, if I only care about single threaded performance for games, then that info is right there.

It may be an oversimplification of the complex analysis to compare my needs to what is available for me. I understand that while the 6/8 core may not have better performance for my usage, it can have immensely better performance for another user.

The comparison just smells of "get a Titan x for more FPS, even if you only run a 1080p monitor" kinda deal. IE, it's better so buy that one.

I see very much Intel fanboy ego's getting hurt in the Ryzen threads, that's what I see........and Ryzen hasn't even been released or proven yet.
E-peen carries some weight apparently.

Last edited:
The comparison just smells of "get a Titan x for more FPS, even if you only run a 1080p monitor" kinda deal. IE, it's better so buy that one.

Thats how car salesman were invented. And why parents go with their kids to the lot the first time, to keep them from getting pulled in by shiny promises.

Thats also why there are places that will tell you whats really going on if you are smart enough to check before purchase :)

I see very much Intel fanboy ego's getting hurt in the Ryzen threads, that's what I see........and Ryzen hasn't even been released or proven yet.
I can see that as well. I know what I'm doing, which is selling my FX stuff and looking to buy a 4C/8T setup. If AMD is good enough in the performance for my usage, I'll get the power I need at 2/3rds the cost(current Intel prices and assuming leaked prices are true) of a similar Intel setup, and I'm fine with that.

So what? That's what makes the world turn. It's business.
Besides, you're assuming Intel is holding back something. What if they aren't? What if they got caught with their collective pants down? It takes years to design a chip from the ground up.

Their pants would not be down for very long because of all the money they have to work with. Hey, I was an AMD fanboy up until less than three years ago but I had to face the facts.

Why does ryzen have to be a home run? Even RBIs help win games.

AMD is significantly closing the gap, which is huge at this point. This increases pressure on Intel. Really the concern should be, "Great job on Ryzen AMD, but what's next?". Those that are still in AMD's camp will buy Ryzen, but what truly matters is AMD is gonna sit on Ryzen and milk it, or if they are going to push forward and progress farther.

AMD is significantly closing the gap, which is huge at this point. This increases pressure on Intel. Really the concern should be, "Great job on Ryzen AMD, but what's next?". Those that are still in AMD's camp will buy Ryzen, but what truly matters is AMD is gonna sit on Ryzen and milk it, or if they are going to push forward and progress farther.

I agree with this statement.

Pushing forward costs money. I would say how Ryzen does, dictates how hard they push or not. They need to make some money first. There are already bills that need to be payed. In other words, Ryzen will be around for a while.

Pushing forward costs money. I would say how Ryzen does, dictates how hard they push or not. They need to make some money first. There are already bills that need to be payed. In other words, Ryzen will be around for a while.
True, but Ryzen can be iterated on as well. AMD left bulldozer to rot on desktop after steamroller....

So.....ask the masses. There are people here that have X99 rigs and 5960X's and 6950X's for their daily rigs. Why not ask what they do with them.
Also, ask why they wouldn't like the same thing at 1/3 the cost.

My former X99 6C/12T rigs both used an i7 5820K, which cost less than any of the new Ryzen 7s coming out in a few weeks ($299). So, an X99 rig doesn't have to cost more, and certainly not 3 times more.

It's happening... :) from what's known about the architecture, it is possible to extrapolate ball park performance in certain scenarios. Putting aside price and configuration for now and looking at peak IPC, it'll probably be generally competitive at best, and could be much worse in specific FP workloads - the latter is something I'm seeking to establish as soon as I can get my hands on one. But of course, we can't just put aside price and configuration and that complicates the comparison massively. It will be an interesting few weeks ahead and I'm sure we'll have lots of arguments (in general) where people take different reference points of comparison.

Thinking more, I'm wondering if this will be perhaps less about performance than people think, but more about marketing. We'll see soon enough.

Bulldozer and Steamroller were certainly all about marketing - but they didn' t live up to the marketing hype.

Performance to price ratio will sell it.
AMD has never had decent marketing. Even in the A64 heyday.

Don't let the 5% faster Intel cost you twice as much. (just an example, don't take the percentage literally)

Performance to price ratio will sell it.
AMD has never had decent marketing. Even in the A64 heyday.

Don't let the 5% faster Intel cost you twice as much. (just an example, don't take the percentage literally)

To late. This is now being spread as gospel. You heard it folks 5% faster, run along and tell all your friends now.

Back