• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's my concern. So let's say Ryzen is a home run for AMD and lots of people switch from Intel to AMD like happened when the Athon 64 came out with the first integrated IMC and AMD was briefly on top. With Intel's much larger R&D budget it won't take long for them to come up with something faster and AMD will be pushed under for another ten years. And all those people who switched back to AMD will be in the position of having to shell out a lot of bucks to get back up to snuff with Intel. New CPU and new motherboard to buy and maybe another OS purchase since the Windows 10 activation with the AMD motherboard would no longer be valid.

I wouldn't say any concern here. Yes I was one of the originals that switched from Intel to AMD back in the day. Though really did it hurt me? Nope. Why? Because if I was upgrading anything I'd have to upgrade the motherboard anyways. Ram... it probably will work with either or. So really haven't lost a thing except for a few years of good joy out of a powerful rig like it we do already. With things slowing down anyways some people take years to upgrade and sit on it for years yet.

I have never been a fan boy or understood them . Get what's best for you at the time. My PC's have looked like this

P1 200mmx OC to 233
P3 750 (mb would not OC)
AMD 2400+m overclocking was amazing
AMD a64 can't remember them all but I think 3-4 different 939 chips
Intel 6420
Intel Q6600
Intel e8400
Intel 4760k
What's next? We will see at that time I don't feel I need a upgrade on my CPU yet.

But I can't Wait to see ryzen

Last edited:
I doubt the chipset cares what size of board it's on. Likely that was AMD's recommendation but the manufacturers can do what they want to a certain extent.

I've seen some news about X370 and ITX boards as officially supported. It was even mentioned in this thread ( it's too long to browse it ). However I doubt that most of these small boards will have all OC options. On the other hand I see that general design is close to Z170/270 so there is hope that we can see something interesting in small form.

I went back and rechecked a link with pictures of motherboards.
If you look closely at the PCIe x16 3.0, there is a metal bracket around the slots.
I forgot where I read it but this is to help reinforce the slot for heavy VGA cards.

It's one of the features in new motherboards, the same as RGB LED, stronger DIMM slots etc. Simply when they have nothing to add then they look for anything what can be put into marketing materials. In real it doesn't change anything. I haven't seen damaged PCIE slot because of too heavy graphics card. I'm not saying it can't happen but I think it will be more like a user's fault rather than PCIE slot weakness.

Back