• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't remember any strict limitations like that when Intel switched chips/chipsets

I remember it happening with (IIRC) my Q9650 and the initial board I ran it in, though I can't remember which mfgr/model it was...I swapped over to a P5Q Pro turbo shortly after and it worked fine after that.

3630QM has 3.4 on 1 core and 3.2 on 4 cores max boost.

They are talking full load situations neither CPU will hold full boost under 4 cores (PER INTEL SPEC). Single cores will hit full speed just fine and that speed will move cores as the task scheduler prioritizes work. This is a pretty commonly known thing and I quite honestly have no idea what you are arguing other than you have no idea how turbo works.

I'm all the time talking about max boost using one core. Why would I say a word about lower boost states and giving load balance as a reason why it can't reach max specs boost ? I said it's not possible to keep max boost for single core using modern OS and in most cases CPU is not even reaching that clock as it's always busy with more threads at the same time. Clean Win10 has ~50+ processes in the background. I don't know how confusing can that be ...
End of this topic as it's pointless and it's not a thread about Intel turbo boost.

Woomack, are you planning to do a bunch of memory tests for RyZen? Which board(s) are you grabbing if so?

I'm not sure if I get any new memory kits soon and I have only Trident Z 3000/3200/3600 and one Crucial kit right now. I'm also not sure about motherboards. There are not many which will be available in first weeks. I have no contact for motherboard samples right now and for sure I won't buy Gigabyte. What's left is MSI, ASUS and ASRock. Each brand has 1-2 boards which look like could show something but I'm not convinced to any of them.

I remember it happening with (IIRC) my Q9650 and the initial board I ran it in, though I can't remember which mfgr/model it was...I swapped over to a P5Q Pro turbo shortly after and it worked fine after that.

That's fair, although it's been almost 10 years since that GPU was released and several generations and chipsets ago. I was thinking in terms of the modern Intel CPUs (Sandy Bridge on up). But that's splitting hairs. I remember fighting various RAM settings/etc on old S775 boards and before for benching/etc on both sides, just not on anything super current.

6920HQ has max boost of 3.8GHz, 3630QM has max boost of 3.4GHz so they work at higher boost but not at max. The same is with other processors. They go to higher state but won't work at max except short period of time.
Max boost also depends on temps and some other factors so many things may affect actual frequency.

Ah my bad... basically always sits at 3.4Ghz when under any type of real thought that was the boost max. Makes me curious if I can force it higher :)

That's fair, although it's been almost 10 years since that GPU was released and several generations and chipsets ago. I was thinking in terms of the modern Intel CPUs (Sandy Bridge on up). But that's splitting hairs. I remember fighting various RAM settings/etc on old S775 boards and before for benching/etc on both sides, just not on anything super current.

I think AMD just didn't want to delay any longer. Sure they're not done tweaking but they did a hell of a job coming from a whole new design.

I think AMD just didn't want to delay any longer. Sure they're not done tweaking but they did a hell of a job coming from a whole new design.
That's fair I suppose, although in my opinion when you are launching hardware these limitations shouldn't be there as not everyone that will buy these chips will know that information regarding the RAM issues. Sounds like something they better resolve ASAP.

Similarly, I hope the post about the VRMs doesn't end up holding true again. It became very boring to be able to recommend all of 1 of 3 (?) motherboards for their high end processors.

I'm all the time talking about max boost using one core. Why would I say a word about lower boost states and giving load balance as a reason why it can't reach max specs boost ? I said it's not possible to keep max boost for single core using modern OS and in most cases CPU is not even reaching that clock as it's always busy with more threads at the same time. Clean Win10 has ~50+ processes in the background. I don't know how confusing can that be ...
End of this topic as it's pointless and it's not a thread about Intel turbo boost.

Mine will all hit max boost specs, until something in turbo says they cannot run that speed anymore. Heavily single threaded apps still will load a single core to full speed, at least with the intel turbo app installed. Maybe that's the difference? These are the settings on mine that let it push a single core to my max boost setting of 4.65

turbo.png

Topic of this thread is?

Topic of the thread is you still don't get to know real performance for 5 more days.

I am just worried about power now. Performance finally seems to be were it should be, but if power is through the roof it is still a bad news situation.

What is the problem with Ryzen?

I keep going back and forth on that subject does turbo boost work well or not?
It works well enough on my i7-7500u. When plugged into wall power, and in high performance power setting it turbo's all the time (approximately, I'm sure it throttles down at times). I even notice a HUGE difference in games, such as Civ: Beyond Earth. That may be because my igpu also turbo boosts, but only when connected to the outlet!

For the Canadian buyers..... Canada Computers has a $20.00 / $25.00 rebate on Pre Order Asrock AM4 RYZEN Motherboards ....... just until Release Date 02/03/17

The speed issue is largely irrelevant to performance, DDR4-2400 speed will be fine. The compatibility issues are something else. But to some extent all new sockets/chipsets/CPUs have these issues and end up causing lots of early BIOS updates for memory compatibility.

- - - Updated - - -

For the Canadian buyers..... Canada Computers has a $20.00 / $25.00 rebate on Pre Order Asrock AM4 RYZEN Motherboards ....... just until Release Date 02/03/17

I'm sure you meant to type "just until Release Date 03/02/17."

Yes delivering for Purolator today and they use month / day / year ....... still in my head.

Back