• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My perception of corporations is very dark indeed. Even think the same would happen if AMD was in Intel's position
I think the progressive education kids have been getting for the past 40 years has poisoned them to business. That along with all the Hollywood types making movie after movie were a corporation was the villain. The classic Hollywood marxist act was when they re-made the Manchurian Candidate about a communist takeover attempt in a US election, and morphed it into an anti-corporate movie with the corporation trying to take over. In movie after movie, the villain is either a big corporation or the CIA, its really kind of pathetic. So most kids grow up thinking non-profit is the way to go and stay away from the evil business world.

Business competition is like sports competition, you compete to win, not to play nice. If its not illegal, you do it. Playing fair is for 5 year old's, business is for adults who are trying to make a living. It seems like most of the 20 somethings and under I talk to were brain washed into the non-profit idea by their marxist professors. Non-profits don't help make a sustainable economy, for profit business does, especially those making an actual product like AMD, Intel and Nvidia for example. So lets all hope AMD succeeds with Ryzen, because if the do, Intel has to react with better products and lower prices. That's how capitalism works. Even communist China, Mao's marxist dream state, has gone with capitalism in its high tech economy zones, while leaving a billion or so country peasant farmers left living in a marxist hell.

I think the progressive education kids have been getting for the past 40 years has poisoned them to business. That along with all the Hollywood types making movie after movie were a corporation was the villain. The classic Hollywood marxist act was when they re-made the Manchurian Candidate about a communist takeover attempt in a US election, and morphed it into an anti-corporate movie with the corporation trying to take over. In movie after movie, the villain is either a big corporation or the CIA, its really kind of pathetic. So most kids grow up thinking non-profit is the way to go and stay away from the evil business world.

Business competition is like sports competition, you compete to win, not to play nice. If its not illegal, you do it. Playing fair is for 5 year old's, business is for adults who are trying to make a living. It seems like most of the 20 somethings and under I talk to were brain washed into the non-profit idea by their marxist professors. Non-profits don't help make a sustainable economy, for profit business does, especially those making an actual product like AMD, Intel and Nvidia for example. So lets all hope AMD succeeds with Ryzen, because if the do, Intel has to react with better products and lower prices. That's how capitalism works. Even communist China, Mao's marxist dream state, has gone with capitalism in its high tech economy zones, while leaving a billion or so country peasant farmers left living in a marxist hell.

Just wanted to say, unfortunately I am beyond my 20s, but from my time serving in the Army, even in an environment where people are supposed to have your back at any given moment, I have learned the hard way that the only person who will truly look out for you is yourself. Companies don't care about there employees, as they are all replaceable on some level. I was merely stating I don't expect either AMD or Intel to play 'fair' as there is truly no such thing as 'fair' in life.

I do want AMD to succeed, but I am worried a bit about the gating effect Intel may push on AMD. As far as I know, no court has ruled against 'conditional promotional discounts', though I think there was an AMD vs Intel settlement fairly recently.

I'm super excited to see the 1700 results, with some overclocking. That may be in my price range at this point, but not sure if I REALLY need that many cores for my usage. I should know for sure this weekend what I am doing for replacing my system :)

I fixed that part for you, below

Business competition is like sports competition, you compete to win, not to play nice. If it's illegal, you do it until you're caught, then litigate as long as possible until everyone is so tired and worn down and have bled so much money they settle without you admitting liability. Playing fair is for 5 year old's, business is for adults who are trying to make a living. Playing fair is for 5 year old's, business is for adults who are trying to make a living.

Neither do I

However paying companies to exclude competitors hardware should be
Where did this gem come from? Was it coal and you managed to turn it into diamond from a tight dark space? Or just wcftech (comes from the same place)?

Intel compiler thing was settled years ago. That's not happening today, it doesn't seem. Or at least nobody is bitching about it and keeps bringing up the past.

And an update from wccftech:
[UPDATED – Feb 26 2017 7:16 PM ET]

The editors-in-chief of two of America’s top PC hardware and technology publications have confirmed to Wccftech that they have indeed been approached by Intel regarding upcoming Ryzen reviews. Although both said that it was business as usual. Affirming that Intel’s response following AMD’s Ryzen announcement was what they had expected it to be. Adding that nothing was particularly unusual about the emails they received from Intel.

Last edited:

Without delving too far into politics (this thread is pretty derailed anyway...)

I think that it is important for everyone to have a bit of cynicism towards any market. Be it non-profit or for-profit. Either way in the vast number of cases they are there to make sure that they stay in business, make money, and (if available) appease shareholders. In a vacuum I agree that capitalism is a great system, the issue I have is that without some regulations and consumer-protections the big companies continue to create anti-consumer practices that are strictly there to pad their wallets (data caps, net neutrality, locked multipliers on cpus, etc) with the BS guise of giving consumers 'more choice'. Without having any sort of regulations against it, the largest companies collude to make the rest of the market fall into place and anti-competitive, and by paying off those who make the regulations it all floats to the top with the majority of the common consumer stuck with whatever they are given with little choice.

So, does anybody have any go to sites for benchmarks on new stuff? Any suggestions as to reliable sources when all those numbers come out tomorrow for the new Wonder Chip? I'm really curious about the Ryzen IPC and whether or not it will be what it is claimed to be so far.

PS Intel is currently fighting a 1.4 billion dollar fine for its business practices. One dirty trick was old news, but they continue to amaze and impress.

I think the best thing to do is to read all the reviews, compare and contrast them to ascertain which site(s) seem to use the testing methodologies and games/apps that you use most often, and then have a grain of salt handy. ;)

I had a whole system in my cart at Amazon last week and held off at the very last minute, not because I doubt the performance numbers being mentioned, but because I wanted to see which mfgr of RAM and the speeds/CL settings work best. Once I've made that determination from reading the reviews, I can revise the contents of my cart and order.

So, does anybody have any go to sites for benchmarks on new stuff? Any suggestions as to reliable sources when all those numbers come out tomorrow for the new Wonder Chip? I'm really curious about the Ryzen IPC and whether or not it will be what it is claimed to be so far.

PS Intel is currently fighting a 1.4 billion dollar fine for its business practices. One dirty trick was old news, but they continue to amaze and impress.

So Fry's is saying they will have ASUS ROG boards on 3/2, while Newegg is saying 3/9. Not sure who to believe in, but I'm stopping by Fry's again today to check if I can guarantee in store pickup of the board. I'm not going to be happy with Newegg if this is true and doable.

I'll read all the ones I can find, I'm just not very familiar with the procedures for benching in reviews. I know they usually list them, and the benchmarks themselves are what they are, but I don't know which ones can be considered more "reliable" as an indicator of outright performance. I don't know enough to know what I don't know. Except the ones at OC. I trust those guys. :D

I'll read all the ones I can find, I'm just not very familiar with the procedures for benching in reviews. I know they usually list them, and the benchmarks themselves are what they are, but I don't know which ones can be considered more "reliable" as an indicator of outright performance. I don't know enough to know what I don't know. Except the ones at OC. I trust those guys. :D

Does one of our illustrious review staff have one of these on a bench right now? :comp:

Our site.

I kinda figured there would be a review here. I'm just saying look at all the reviews so you can see the different configurations used, mem speeds, coolers used, etc.

that should give a good idea of what parts will allow the most tweaking without introducing incompatibilities. :)

Our site.

Back