• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Off topic but,

Just last night my youngest son told me his friend (a self proclaimed computer expert :rolleyes: ) managed to get his ram installed backwards. I asked how that's possible since they have been keyed for one direction forever. He said he just mashed it in there. I just don't understand the stupidity of some people.

OK, back on topic.
I have a phrase for that... Works for almost anyone:

"Other people's children..."

Lol cpuz says ryzen 8 core processor? That's new!

ahh I forgot about the emi... another marketing point. :)

Thats not marketing.... If companies do not route correctly or have too much noise from VRs because of giant GPUs, you need to help filter the noise at the worse interconnect point... PCI-E is somewhat forgiving in the protocal system with EMI, but the physical layer can be susceptible to noise injection due to the amount of data lines coupling near loud switching rails. May not always be needed (thus marketing) but helps nonetheless.

Time to over-analyse those Cinebench scores. I got some Intel numbers in past testing, and as it isn't much affected by ram speeds, it gives an indicator of the CPU itself.

Divide the multi-core by 8, compare it to single, you get an estimate of 25% gain due to SMT, assuming the core clock doesn't change between runs. I got 28% doing similar on Haswell and Skylake previously, so it is in the right ball park.

The next part is more dangerous, as it will depend on the actual CPU clock when it was running. Was it 3.5 GHz as shown in the Cinebench screenshot? Was it 3.9 from the Firestrike shot? Those screenshots do appear to be from the same original source, and I don't know what turbo/XFR or whatever might be going on. Assuming for now it was fixed at 3.5 GHz, that would put the Cinebench IPC pretty much on par with Skylake. If it was at 3.9 GHz to do so, that would put it closer to Haswell IPC. Either way, nothing to complain about!

Thats not marketing.... If companies do not route correctly or have too much noise from VRs because of giant GPUs, you need to help filter the noise at the worse interconnect point... PCI-E is somewhat forgiving in the protocal system with EMI, but the physical layer can be susceptible to noise injection due to the amount of data lines coupling near loud switching rails. May not always be needed (thus marketing) but helps nonetheless.
weird how it's "suddenly needed"... but not always.. it's (mostly) marketing.

Man you wanna see a heavy card, the KPE 980Ti. Just imagine that aluminum ACX cooler made from solid copper. The K|ngP|n is easily twice the weight of a normal card. I couldn't believe it really.

At least it went to a loving home :) :thup:

Video connectors are on-board, but require a chip with integrated graphics to function.

It's from this morning but already 2 pages back. Yes, video is listed onboard.

As I said earlier, I looked over the motherboards again. The TOP board by ASUS, Asrock, and MSI do not have a video link????
Is it not suppose to be, buy the mb now and it will still work with the APU when it's released??????
Have the MB makers said-If your buying xxx board your going to use a dedicated GPU so why waste board relstate??????

Thanks for reminding me Blay :)

You're welcome MM :)

I may be wrong here as I haven't been following this as closely as some but the new release will include 2c and 4c APU's and 4c, 6c, and 8c Ryzen CPU's. For maximum compatibility motherboard manufacturers will 'likely' include onboard video connectors. Does that mean there wont/can't be an elite LN2 specific board that doesn't remains to be seen. I did a quick glance at the Motherboards that were linked by Tir Na Nog (here) and they all seemed to have them.

Correction: After a more extended view it looks like there are a few without. ASRock X370 TAICHI & X370 FATAL1TY PROFESSIONAL GAMING, Gigabyte AX370 AORUS GAMING K3 (TBD) & AX370 AORUS D3 *TBD), & ASUS X370 ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO

So yes, there will be some without.

Last edited:
Weren't the APUs on a different socket than the FX chips?

I don't believe any APUs are coming out with Ryzen... not sure on that though.

I don't AMD much, lol! :chair:

Other post updated, let me look and see if I can find the leak. These ARE leaks so it's anyone's guess really, right?

EDIT: It's from the same link. :facepalm:

Capture.JPG

I see it all the time AMD throttles about 300MHz up and down.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why do people complain with a good AMD board with throttling up and down 300Mhz?

Got 3 of them (8150,6300 and 8350). All running at 5GHz on a Sabertooth, and none never throttled...

I don't know where you've read people with FX throttling on a good board...

Edit: throttling 300MHz up is kind of good though :D

Back