• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade\Replace CPU Suggestion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dunxel

Debating on updating my current gaming rig.. or buying new cpu/mobo/ect.

--------------------------------------------
Currently running.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Noctua NH-D14
16GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill Sniper (4x 4GB)
XFX Radeon R9 290X 8GB (new!)
OCZ FirePower ZX 1000W 80Plus GOLD PSU.
SilverStone RAVEN RV03B-W Case
2x OCZ Vertex 3 (120GB) in Raid 0
3x WD Veloci Raptor 300GB in Raid 0
3x 24" ASUS 1080p Monitors.
--------------------------------------------

I haven't really overclocked much as i don't have the best results.
System seems very unstable even the smallest changes made. Mobo was recently replaced but the instability of the slightest changes was unrewarding.
I managed to have it bumped to 4.0GHz at one time and it was stable for about 2 weeks.
I've avoided the overclocking all together since.

-----------------------------------------------
Games i play?
I play just about anything & everything under the sun. But lately.
DayZ Standalone
ArmA 3
Battlefield 4
War Thunder
World of Warcraft
DoTa 2
Heroes of the Storm
------------------------------------------------

So what am i looking for?
Suggestions on should i look to upgrade my CPU to one of the newer Cores supported by my Mobo and hopefully see some noticable improvements? possibly toy with overclocking again

Low budget idea: FX-8370 & H80i closed loop or keep NH-D14.
Low Budget #2 the gamble: FX-9590, AMD Water Cooler or H80i.

Or should I think about just switching mobo/cpus as the CPU upgrade for my MOBO is a waste of money?

Larger Budget (assuming i can): i7-4790K, H80i, New Mobo, New RAM?
Crazy Budget: i7-5820K, H80i, DDR4 RAM, New Mobo.

Hoesntly i rather save money & but i don't want to spend a ton of money & see no noticable improvements.

I am waiting to see what 27"+ FreeSync 1440p upto 4K displays come out. That hopefully break 60fps for this R9 290X 8GB GPU. So this kind of detail can help play a role in the CPU discussion for the future.

Last edited:
your 1100 t is about tops, your going intel.
look at the i5 instead of the i7, saves a few bucks so does keeping the nh-d14.
put this on an asrock extreme 4 or 6 or something in that range and I think it would make a pretty good rig.
your ram moves right over also.
then you can make me a deal on the 1100t and have a few more bucks under written.

+1 ^^

To add to that, you will not break 60FPS @ 4K with a 280x unless you are playing an older game or lower settings a lot. 1440p you have a better chance in more titles.

EDIT: Oops, you said 290x up top and 280x on the bottom. Disregard... but it is still tough for a single 290x to keep 60 FPS+ without image quality sacrifices.

Back