• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to buy for WCing an FX 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
It's time to get some water flowing over this FX 6300. :thup:

Never done water cooling ever so I have no idea what I need or how much this will cost.
The loop is only for the FX 6300, I'm not interesting in watering my GPU's or the GTX 960/970 I still have to buy.

EK, Swiftec... AIO or custom?

The cooler the better, I'm looking for the highest clocks I can get out of this chip to game on. (I'm no longer folding on the CPU anymore. I'm also hoping for 5Ghz :D )
Current temps, and clocks.
This is after a few hours of Minecraft.
Current Temps.PNG
This is stable, and hot as you can see.

I know the temp limits of AMD, but it appears 70C is the max AMD says for 6 cores like my FX 6300 according to AMD Overdrive. (I'm okay with higher than recommended temps for now.)
I am working on socket temps and a new case soon so input on what I should plan for and buy is greatly appreciated right now :)
This why I can make space in the new case for a rad and extra fans for the mobo socket and such.

Thanks guys! :cool:

If you're looking to see how far you can push I think custom is the way to go. Especially if you have a rad you can move outside like weve suggested previously.

plenty for your six core, if you game, they only use up to 4 cores at this time, most games only one or two.
I have a sidon 240m that I have run my 8 core at 5.0 in a lan box 2 hours prime stable with all 8 burning.

- - - Updated - - -

if your going to join us rodeo clowns manny is spot on.

If you're looking to see how far you can push I think custom is the way to go. Especially if you have a rad you can move outside like weve suggested previously.

plenty for your six core, if you game, they only use up to 4 cores at this time, most games only one or two.
I have a sidon 240m that I have run my 8 core at 5.0 in a lan box 2 hours prime stable with all 8 burning.

- - - Updated - - -

if your going to join us rodeo clowns manny is spot on.

I only have 4 cores enabled anyway :p
'Tis the only way to keep temps and Vcore down.

I was thinking of joining the rodeo clowns yeah. I can get used to benching I'd say :cool:

So custom it is the way to go then?

Allot depends on the case and what you can fit in it. In our PM you mentioned the HAF 912 and HAF XB that I have of the two the HAF XB, same case as CD is talking about ....... I think. I have some pic's on here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it of a custom loop I put in that case which would hold plenty of rad for the FX 6300 you have but I am not sure if it would be up to the task of an FX 8 Core down the line. Also with the way I had the loop in it can fit a long video card as long as the power does not come off the top. Again I'll have to look for the build pic's.

So allot depends on what your plans down the road are as well as the choice of case and video card you plan to use.

EDDIT *******

Found it ......

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...tle-Case-HAF-XB-Project-log?highlight=bassnut

Last edited:
I leave my rad in the front unmounted for quick access to a chiller ;). Gotsta have chilling available at all times. Sometimes a guy just wants to game at 5.2ghz ..... Shhh, I didn't post that here ...

the haf xb is what I have, a 2x 120 rad fits in it, i use the sidon 240m or the all commanding of your fear and loathing LARKOOLER.

it also has holes for a 2 x140 rad, I'm rebuilding it now.

Last edited:
Well you said you want to see how far it will go, living in canada you might as well take advantage of the winter air with the rad out the window. I would have patience and watch the classies for stuff.

@Shrimpy
Browsing Swiftech now :thuip:
@Caddi
Hehe I've been looking at that classie ad for a while now. Mega sized rad :drool:
Dunno though... shipping to Canada is brutal, especially for a large rad like that. :-/

Going to see if I can pick out some parts for this loop.
Anyone know of a good Canadian website for all things water cooled?
Frozencpu?

That Mo rad is really nice but total overkill unless you're planning on running a couple of high end Gpu's in the loop. My Thermochill Pa 360 keeps the Cpu temps within 2-3c of the outside ambient air, with the Gpu in the loop usually within 4-5c, when I'm hanging it out the window. Those temps are when I'm benching, it would probably be higher if I was folding or something that put load on the loop for an extended period.

Performance-PCS is another great place that is secondary to FCPU's massive inventory.

I will say and some have said this already. Is this some type of fling you just want to put together and set and leave alone and never expand OR are you looking to build from this loop and add more to it down the line as well as moving it into a new case. See the thing is, you can either waste some cash now and play catchup later OR do all the math now and figure things out the right way so you have a plan and goal to where you want to go with this. I always tell folks, to plan out your loops to the MAX, that includes any GPUs you might end up adding down the road and if you're looking for a silent build as most usually are. I would advise on planning out your build, even though you won't be buying say for example, all the water cooling components for the time being but thinking ahead you will, purchase the case that will accommodate your whole setup. You could also scrap the whole idea and go external via MORA rad but that is all up to you as you have many options.

So point is build a blue print of your current and possibly future loop. See what will be needed to cool to keep your delta-temps low. Any outside air can and will cause condensation if you go along that route.

If you're not going custom water cooling balls out and just want a simple loop for your current and only CPU, I would look at either a 120.3 AIO cooler (I think coolmaster has one) or a 120.2 or 120.3 XPSC kit.

Frozen CPU is still down. In Canada it is DazeMode for water cooling ...... https://www.dazmode.com/store/
Thanks Bassut!
What happened to FrozenCPU? I can still get to their site..
That Mo rad is really nice but total overkill unless you're planning on running a couple of high end Gpu's in the loop. My Thermochill Pa 360 keeps the Cpu temps within 2-3c of the outside ambient air, with the Gpu in the loop usually within 4-5c, when I'm hanging it out the window. Those temps are when I'm benching, it would probably be higher if I was folding or something that put load on the loop for an extended period.
I like that rad, it's long. I have penty of space length wise under my case. I'm thinking of having the rad under the case anyway and a bunch of fans blowing cool air into the case. I think that should help with temps in a big way.
Performance-PCS is another great place that is secondary to FCPU's massive inventory.

I will say and some have said this already. Is this some type of fling you just want to put together and set and leave alone and never expand OR are you looking to build from this loop and add more to it down the line as well as moving it into a new case. See the thing is, you can either waste some cash now and play catchup later OR do all the math now and figure things out the right way so you have a plan and goal to where you want to go with this. I always tell folks, to plan out your loops to the MAX, that includes any GPUs you might end up adding down the road and if you're looking for a silent build as most usually are. I would advise on planning out your build, even though you won't be buying say for example, all the water cooling components for the time being but thinking ahead you will, purchase the case that will accommodate your whole setup. You could also scrap the whole idea and go external via MORA rad but that is all up to you as you have many options.

So point is build a blue print of your current and possibly future loop. See what will be needed to cool to keep your delta-temps low. Any outside air can and will cause condensation if you go along that route.

If you're not going custom water cooling balls out and just want a simple loop for your current and only CPU, I would look at either a 120.3 AIO cooler (I think coolmaster has one) or a 120.2 or 120.3 XPSC kit.

Thanks GTXJackBauer (24 was a good show :p)
The loop is only for the CPU. I won't be adding a GPU at all. For some reason, I find it very awkward trying to fall asleep with a silent rig. The GPU fans put me to sleep <- :screwy:

But I also love the looks of custom loops. The big long rads plus since my case is mostly see-through, it would be cool to see the res and perhaps light it up with some LED's (dye in water is a no-no right?) Case lighting is what I've wanted for a while, and lighting the res would be awesome :) Though, a bit overkill perhaps :p

I don't mind spending a bit extra $$ since I won't be upgrading this rig for years. Basically, I'll upgrade if AMD has/makes something awesome for the desktop. Whenever that will happen lol.

Frozen CPU was my first choice for watercoling but do to some personal issues the owner has / had / is going through the store is closed for now and who knows how long / if / when they will reopen. There is a thread here about their being closed.

Performance PC is another big site which is as close to Frozen CPU as you can find. I have ordered from them before and I have always found it took about 2 weeks (think when Mandrake sent you your CPU) for my order to get to me and on 2 time damaged in shipping so I always ordered from FrozenCPU.

DazeMode is pretty good ...... fast but smaller and less choices. Prices are a little higher but then you don't have to deal with xchange rates and possibly duty.

If you order from the US ..... IE Performance PC select USPS for shipping as your shipping choice more times then not you will not get dinged for Duty Charges which can be as much as 50%.

Frozen CPU was my first choice for watercoling but do to some personal issues the owner has / had / is going through the store is closed for now and who knows how long / if / when they will reopen. There is a thread here about their being closed.

Performance PC is another big site which is as close to Frozen CPU as you can find. I have ordered from them before and I have always found it took about 2 weeks (think when Mandrake sent you your CPU) for my order to get to me and on 2 time damaged in shipping so I always ordered from FrozenCPU.

DazeMode is pretty good ...... fast but smaller and less choices. Prices are a little higher but then you don't have to deal with xchange rates and possibly duty.

If you order from the US ..... IE Performance PC select USPS for shipping as your shipping choice more times then not you will not get dinged for Duty Charges which can be as much as 50%.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm going to put together carts at Dazmode and Preformance PC and get opinions on it.
Needless to say, I'm shocked on the pricing so far :p

I'll update my WTB ad in the classies to hunt for water cooling goodies. Reckon it'd be cheaper :D

Back