• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 - Keyboard input at login problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Before I start fiddling with my Windows setup, I'm hopeing someone has had a similar incident and was able to cure the cause.

Upon a fresh restart, once I get to the Windows login screen to input my password, my keyboard does not work properly. I need to press each key multiple times before a character actually appears. The first character in my password needs about 2-3 presses before it'll appear. The 2nd sometimes 12 presses, the 3rd around 4 presses, etc, etc. If I make a mistake and try to use the backspace key, it'll randomly switch between entering some character (I cannot tell what character since the password it hidden) or actually backspacing. This happens everytime I reboot the PC, but it does not occur if I simply logout, or lock the computer.

I thought maybe the keyboard was going bad (ctrl or alt keys getting stuck as it happens while in Windows once in a blue moon) so I tried another USB keyboard, and it exhibits the same exact problem.

I'm running with Logitech drivers as I have a G700 mouse and Wave keyboard, but I do not recall updated drivers causing this problem as I have been running with the same drivers since I reinstalled Windows 7. I can't be sure when it happened though since I restart my PC only after a update during the winter months, but it didn't start to occur till some months after.

Anyone have the same experience?

If not, I know I can goto Safe Mode, but that just disables everything, and I know about disabling startup programs on Windows login, but how can I boot into Windows disabling one driver/program at a time, without having to actually edit the registry or uninstall drivers?

How many USB devices do you have in use? Please list them all and any software they use.

Most of what I have I've either had when I reinstalled Windows, or after the problem started occurring.

G700 mouse, Logitech Wave keyboard, both with their respective Logitech software/driver installed (I do make use of the macro capabilities) and connected directly to the motherboard via the USB2 ports (the recommended ports).
2-port hub and card reader on my monitor, with a USB mic attached (uses stock Windows drivers, and was added in long after this problem was occurring).
4-Port Hub, with my printer (stock Windows drivers), Logitech G13 (Logitech drivers/software), USB-UIRT (with respective drivers), Wacom Bamboo pad (with respective drivers).
NVidia 3D emitter
APC UPS (I use the APC monitor software to track power usage and any faults)
And a XBox 360 controller.

I never had this problem on the old Windows 7 install, which was full of old installs of various programs, some of which I rarely if ever used, which is why I reinstalled while doing upgrades to my computer. I've also tried disconnecting the keyboard, and reconnecting it while at the login screen, but that does nothing. Same thing with adding the 2nd USB keyboard at the login screen. Each keyboard exhibits the same exact problem. I can switch back and fourth and it will take the same number of key presses before a character appears. It's a pita when rebooting as it causes the login to take minutes because of not knowing how many key presses it'll take for the character to appear. Oh yeah, and a key press will also work randomly as the backspace key. :bang head

If going to Safe Mode lets you in like normal, it's a driver issue.
It may also be that you're overloading the USB controller.

I was using a Logitech Wave for quite a few years. Any time that I'd reinstall Win7Pro the OS would load up some newer drivers and invariably my KB would not work, would have to plug in a ps2 KB, and reinstall the older drivers that came with the KB; all would be fine afterwards. I had, at one point, downloaded the newer Logitech drivers from their website and found that they + Win7Pro weren't friendly. Try rolling back the drivers.

I realized that I did not have the Logitech drivers for the keyboard installed and was running on the stock built-in (2600) Windows keyboard drivers. When I think back, I had removed the Logitech SetPoint software, which removes the Logitech keyboard drivers, because I also use EventGhost to capture keyboard presses and use that to control IR devices, such as my HT receiver. I re-installed the latest SetPoint + drivers, and rebooted and didn't have the problem. I'll have to do some more reboots to see if that fixed it for sure, but it may be that the stock Windows keyboard driver just isn't compatible with the Wave. Luckily, the Logitech drivers do not require the SetPoint software to run, so I can still use EventGhost to capture key presses. Hopefully, the Logitech drivers solves the problems for good.

Back