• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which part is faulty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

Having some bother with figuring this out.

I started having a couple of BSOD relating to gfx card issues. Got a new graphics card, no BSOD now.

Now I have successfully diagnosed one faulty ram stick but the computer is still horribly hard to boot up. It'll power on for a few seconds and shut off. To overcome this I have to unplug the power cable, press the power button, plug it back in. Then I have to keep resetting until it gets past post (it just sticks there doing nothing, but I can't see anything on the screen). When it does boot it'll hard lock several during desktop loading. After resetting a few times it'll load everything.

Because of the ram issue I already have a new set on order. I can't really test the other stick in another machine to find out but could this be a motherboard issue as well?

PSU.
If it's still the one in your sig, it's not that great to start with. It was acceptable entry level years ago. It's not anymore.

Really? I know it's not a high quality item but I'm pulling 220w max at full load with the system.

I've heard of Caps going bad in the Cx 430 after a few years which could be the issue. So if it's a few years old it may be the issue?

I agree, PSU.
It can cause the other issues you saw due to bad ripple or voltage regulation.causing slow damage.

I've heard of Caps going bad in the Cx 430 after a few years which could be the issue. So if it's a few years old it may be the issue?

It's 9 months old.

Bit of talking to Amazon and they're sending a replacement :). To be fair, this kind of psu is fine, my 100% load is half of its max.

Hardlocks are generally power or heat related. PSU is usually the first and easiest thing to eliminate. Motherboard will be next.

Back