• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose a power supply for a Gateway laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
They are listed from $8 to very expensive but it depends on where you look.
I diagnosed the power supply as a laptop problem for a friend and need to figure out which quality one to get him for a replacement.

Equivalent to Gateway laptop Power supply AK.065AP.013 also known as ADP-65VH

Thank you.

All right. I posted Power supply AK.065AP.013 also known as ADP-65VH so that someone could tell me which equivalent is better and bought from where.

I am assuming the answer "Get an OEM one" when it comes to desktop supplies would not be helpful, granted laptop/desktop is apples/oranges but surely there's a difference between at least some of the OEM ones selling for $5-$8?

Here

Attachments

• 1428813728711.jpg
    1428813728711.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 66
Well the thing about Delta is that it crapped out on him and the reason we are doing this is because that power supply was nothing but problems for him...
I went to a computer shop and they connected another power supply and it booted right up whereas Delta has his laptop only flashing a blue light...

I was surprised to find how extremely common this symptom was for Gateway laptops when I did a search on the internet and so things point to this power supply as being the problem since I isolated it to it being the cause in this case and exact same symptoms show up for a lot of people out there... maybe that suggest avoiding Delta rather than getting it, what do you think?

You could always go universal, grab one of the 75-95w models with decent reviews. I did that for a coworker's Satellite, so long as the plug fits, the voltage is the same and it supports enough wattage, you'll be fine.

Yea... "one of the" doesn't help much, though.

It doesn't have to universal, just an equivalent of AK.065AP.013 also known as ADP-65VH - I understand the approach of just getting an identical one, but in this specific case - original one is apparently known for defects of exact same type that happened in this case and Gateway used power supplies appear to be known for this problem...

Therefore, equivalents are priced in single digits to mid-teens $ and I am looking for links to specific recommendations.

What I'm saying, is that ANY of them will do, just look for decent reviews and that the plug is the same size. Past that, so long as the wattage is the same or greater, it will work fine.

All right. I understand what you are saying. What are the links to decent reviews of AK.065AP.013 a.k.a. ADP-65VH equivalent?

Alright, since you insist on having it done for you, I need the model number of that Gateway laptop.

Forget equivalents. The only thing that equals crap, is crap. You want something better. Any reputable power brick with the right connection and enough wattage will do perfectly.

You are correct sir, I insist on having it done for me ;) that is the purpose of this thread :D and Welcome to ocforums!

Screenshot of original PSU with history of problems (that came with laptop) is in post #5 above, and here's the laptop itself:

Attachments

• Gateway.jpg
    Gateway.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 58
Have you tried taking it apart? The method I like is to apply some pressure with a vice and then bang on it with the handle of a screwdriver until the glue gives way. Then you can see if it's an easy fix (bad caps) or not worth fixing. Afterwards, tape it up as it's easier than gluing the case back together.

Assuming it's not worth fixing, Kensington makes pretty good aftermarket adapters.

NiHaoMike, please link to one that you would get for the laptop in question.

19V charger is needed, equivalent of AK.065AP.013 a.k.a. ADP-65VH.

I am not in a position to remove/buy new/install bad caps.
If this was a question for a desktop computer power supply, I would have no problem linking to several... but we need a link to a laptop charger that people would recommend over others.

That's a cheap generic that won't last.

They are all cheap generics. That doesn't mean it won't last. I've used similar items on many different laptops. In fact, one of them is a Gateway laptop that belongs to my girlfriend. She's had it for almost 2 years now.

This is exactly my point. Do a search, pick the one you want, and if it doesn't work, return it and try again. Laptop cords are almost never of high quality, and there are very few usable reviews on them, so it's all just best guess. Even the expensive ones are pretty crappy compared to a full blown PSU.

The interchangeable connectors are known to become loose and break, particularly if the computer is used mobile (as in, moved around a lot). I highly recommend a charger with a fixed connection.

Back