• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOBO is dead, but is the CPU as well?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shifty0

Hi!

Here is a pic of my CPU.

Is that one dot on the right a burn mark? Is my cpu dead or probably survived?

There are some bent pins on the MOBO and it is out of warranty.

How about the CPU? Does it look bad? On some forum one guy said intel does not cover this one under warranty and it is probably dead.

I think it is not that bad, but this is the first time i bent pins and caused dmg to the CPU.

Can somebody tell me what's up?

I have no spare mobo so i cant try it. I have to buy a new board i know. It will happen, but i dont know exactly when. I just cant get this out of my head what if my i5 4590 is dead and has no warranty.

It would be nice to clear that up, The chances that the CPU survived. If not is there any warranty or not?

IMO if there was some shortened pins with te cpu conatct pads then it would be more like black, and not only a portion of the contact pad would be burnt but the whole pad which interacted with the shortened pin. Am i wrong?

This mark on the cpu is more like grey or silver not black.

BTW the computer does not POST. The fans spin up. All 6 of them and also the cpu and GPU fans. The mobo has a DRAM_LED lighting up upon turning the comp on. (after 2 seconds approx after pressing the button, so the fans and other stuff starts earlier than this LED light up. It is not a RAM issue. If i remove the ram-s then there is no BEEP sound. No POST(with ram(s) in)

What do you guys think?

It is the AD4 pin on LGA 1150 socket. AD4 is a VSS pin. WHat does that mean. Is it important?

Plz post 1 topic in 1 section. No need to dbl post the same thing in another section.

Now getting to the topic: Hard to tell from the pic aside from visually seeing the chip. Only way to tell if your chip is dead is to try it in another board.

Sorry for that. I was not sure where to post.

I know that, and i will a new mobo asap, but i just hope that my cpu survived. I am no expert, and i am not expecting 100% right judgements. I am asking for opinions and experiences.

Well, it usually takes a lot to kill a CPU. Normally it has to see unusually high temperatures or voltages, for an extended period to kill a CPU. Or extremely high voltage for a short period, if the voltage is high enough.

Case in point, I once dismantled a system where the Power Supply had failed (catastrophic sparks with exploding capacitors and mysterious blue smoke kind of failure), it killed the motherboard, all of the RAM sticks, the hard drive, and the optical drive in the process. But the CPU still worked perfectly fine.

It is possible that if the wrong socket pin were to touch the wrong land on the bottom of the CPU it could kill it in just the right circumstances, but it is very unlikely to happen.

VSS pins have to do with selection of CPU Core Voltage/vCore if I remember correctly.

No way to know for certain without testing the CPU though I'm afraid.

Well, it usually takes a lot to kill a CPU. Normally it has to see unusually high temperatures or voltages, for an extended period to kill a CPU. Or extremely high voltage for a short period, if the voltage is high enough.

None of these happened as far as i know. I have a decent PSU: Seasonic S12G 450W.

I just turned on the computer. Fans (6system and GPU and CPU fan) spin up normally. Leds light up on fans. THen 2 seconds after i turned it on DRAM_LED lights up red. (Every time i turned it on) The computer was notturned on for a long time, and correct me if iam wrong but, the cpu does not receive high voltage unless it has something big task to do. So in theory i am safe right?

There was no post. I switched off the PSU tired again several times. Then i just wated to reseat the CPU and i saw some bent pins, and this little mark on the cpu. It is more like a scratch than a burn mark. It seems like the gold plate just came off. If it was burn mak would not it be somewhat more brutal visually? It is more like silver. It is certainly not black.

By saying "visually brutal" i mean something like this:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1115/98033448.jpg

Another question. If it actually burnt out and the cpu is dead then would'nt be there more burnt out contact pads?
And if something burns out the whole pad would be discolored not just a portion of it like mine.

Am i wrong?
I am just speculating with the best of my knowledge, so feel free to correct me. That's why i came here, because i wanted to find people who have more knowledge.

Edit:
This pin is sorrounded with other VSS pins. The socket has a ton of these pins. If 2 of them got shortened then 2 of them are dead, but would it kill the whole thing? In my way of thinking the cpu would still work without that 2 pins. The cpu gets less power and maybe it slows down 1-5% in performance. (since they are voltage source pins, they provide the juice, or do they have something else to do?)
Or would it kill the whole thing? If it was shortened for just like several times for a short period of time? I am not expert in electricity sadly.

I jsut found this on another forum:
If your broken pins are anything other than VCC or VSS then your CPU is broken.

Last edited:
that, is some burning of the cpu, I think I would call it dead and woild not want to stick it in another board.

can you get a pic of the motherboard socket?

It is a hotspot due to bad contact, but to call it dead is preliminary. I would try it. The CPU is not what makes the contact bad, the socket is.

Mr. scott, in the pic he linked, four pads are gone, bad? iffy?

You probably misunderstood me. It was just a example that i call some cpu burn. I just googled that.

My Cpu looks like this:

My previous post is:
It seems like the gold plate just came off. If it was burn mak would not it be somewhat more brutal visually? It is more like silver. It is certainly not black.

By saying "visually brutal" i mean something like this:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1115/98033448.jpg

This is just a example what i mean by visually brutal burn. It is an image from google.
Pic of my cpu is in the 1st post.

EDIT:
1 more pic:
And a little closer with circle:

I checked with magnifying glass with good lighting. Other contact pads are fine. The only one is damage is that one circled with red.

Pic of the socket before i touched them. This is a pic was taken right after i discovered the bent pins. Then i tried to fix them, but failed in the process.(full story at edit2)

Currently i have them packed trying to rma it and it will be shipped back to the shop tomorrow. (free shipping to webshot so it's worth a try)
So i can't take another pic of it. How ever it would not matter anyway if i could. All pins are in place and one broken down. (i counted it and the one which brok down is the contact pad with the grey dot.
So the 1 broken down pin was supposed to make contact with the contact pad with the grey dot.) Maked sense right?

Below at EDIT2 you can read the whole story. I fixed them, but eventually 1 pin broken down.
The are highlighted with blue is not bent. I checked it with magnifying glass. That one is just shadow of something.(Bad lighting i know but it shows what is important)

The only bent are of the socket is the red area. I dont have good macro this is the best i made.

EDIT2:
This is what happened.
The MOBO socket somehow got damage. Most likely during i was instaling the new cooler. The computer after that did not POST so i did the standard things like cmos reset ram out and wait for beep(no beeps happened). I tried Jumper reset and stuff.

The DRAM_LED 2sec after startup (not immediately but with a 2 sec delay after start) kept lighting up and there was no POST no boot. The fans spin up(all of them system gpu and cpu fan also) I took out the rams there was no BEEP I took out the vga also there was still no beep. The DRAM_LED just kept lighting up and up.

Then i wanted to reseat my CPU and then i saw there was 2-3 pins bent. I tried to bent them back carefully got all of them in place (i thought) i reseated the cpu and then took it out again to see if everything is in place. Then i saw 1 pin was broken down. Then i checked the back of my cpu and saw that grey dot there.

I dont know if that grey dot was created by reseating the cpu in the socket and simply the gold plating just came down, OR it was created when i turned on the computer after the cooler installation and the computer did not post.

I turned on the computer several times after each attempt to fix it and get a POST. There was no post so i switched my PSU off and then back and kept trying. It was turned on several times for a short period of time.

I tried ti rub it off carefully, but i did not want to worsen things since it did not came down. I think the gold plating came down (also hoping for that)

Edit3
Another pic of the socket:

All of the pictures of the socket is before i tried bent them back in place. I forgot to take a pic with the fixed pins, but it does not really matter does it? It look like a normal socket with a pin missing.

Last edited:
No one will warranty that motherboard with the socket in that condition.

Looks like either corrosion (which I don't know why there would be any on a CPU so new) or an arc point from an electrical short to me.

Difficult to tell from pictures, much easier to see in person.

No one will warranty that motherboard with the socket in that condition.

I know but maybe they can fix the socket for a fee or even free.
Sending it back costs me nothing so why not?
Time will tell. I know there will be no replacements but maybe some alternative solution to get it working.

Last edited:
CPU pads are usually double or triple so if one is damaged then it still should work. Worse is with CPU socket. Pins should touch correct pads on the CPU , they don't have to be in perfect condition but have to be in correct place.
You can fix it using a pin or something else but it's tricky if socket pins are additionally bent. Probably best option is to ask support to replace socket and if it will be too expensive then buy a new board.

CPU pads are usually double or triple so if one is damaged then it still should work. Worse is with CPU socket. Pins should touch correct pads on the CPU , they don't have to be in perfect condition but have to be in correct place.
You can fix it using a pin or something else but it's tricky if socket pins are additionally bent. Probably best option is to ask support to replace socket and if it will be too expensive then buy a new board.

Just received a reply from the webshop, and they will try to fix them for a fee but they wont replace it.

On the cpu pad topic. Double or triple... Okay, but what if i shortened 1 VSS pad/pin with another VSS pad/pin? What would a shortened VSS pad look like?
If it is just the gold plating coming off then it should be okay since it has another pad to make contact. But what if i shorted them for a short period of time several times? Probably on low voltage since the computer did not even boot so there was no task for the cpu to do. (i dont know it for sure on the low voltage part. It is just a guess since intel haswell cpu-s clock themselves down when they are idle, and low clock = low voltage)

There is always higher voltage during the boot, actually you can see highest power draw when you power up your pc. Voltage/ratio drops are in system or after boot stage when management engine is working ( part of the BIOS ). Anyway you have to test the CPU to know if it's fine. Noone will tell you that as everything could happen.

There is always higher voltage during the boot, actually you can see highest power draw when you power up your pc. Voltage/ratio drops are in system or after boot stage when management engine is working ( part of the BIOS ). Anyway you have to test the CPU to know if it's fine. Noone will tell you that as everything could happen.

Oh i see. I did not know that about the power draw.

I know no one can tell me for sure if it is fine or not, i am just asking for past experiences. I dont give up faith on it. The warranty on the processor is most likely to be void if it is dead so i really hope it is fine.

I have a very similar burned chip running in a pc. I ran it too cold and condensation nuked the board. It should be just fine, hopefully.

Looks like TIM on one of the pads, LOL. IIRC, one of my used Wolfdales had some grey stuff on one of the pins, too and I wiped it off.

I hope it's not missing a chunk of the pad. :(

Back