• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picking a GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Achaia

Registered
I've been having a major dilemma with which GPU to pick, and it's driving me completely crazy.

I want a GPU that can last me a couple of years, have no issues running newer games at max settings. Now, nVidia has always been my go-to brand for GPUs, so I'm very skeptical to go the AMD (290X) route.

I really want a GTX 980, but I've been reading so many reviews/complaints how it won't handle 1440p and 4K. A lot seem to recommend an R9 290X over a 980, if you plan to run 4K, and I really want to know whether that was true or false.

I won't be running dual monitors. Just a single one, but it might be 4K/1440p, and I don't know anymore if a 980 will be the right decision.

My build will be mainly for gaming purposes.

Here are some games of which I will be playing:
  • League of Legends
  • Tomb Raider
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Transistor
  • Starcraft 2
  • Diablo 3
  • Alien: Isolation
  • GTA V
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • Dota 2
  • Skyrim
  • Path of Exile
  • FIFA 15 (very occasionally)

Thanks.

I wouldn't even touch AMD right now. Wait till 390X or 980Ti premiere ( 3-4 months ) or get GTX980 now.
Half of the listed games should run even on slower graphics cards. I have no idea what about GTA V.
Personally I would stick to good quality 2560x1440 or similar resolution display. Most 4K are or overpriced or are poor quality. Also you won't see any special difference in higher resolution in most games except that FPS will drop.

I wouldn't even touch AMD right now. Wait till 390X or 980Ti premiere ( 3-4 months ) or get GTX980 now.
Half of the listed games should run even on slower graphics cards. I have no idea what about GTA V.
Personally I would stick to good quality 2560x1440 or similar resolution display. Most 4K are or overpriced or are poor quality. Also you won't see any special difference in higher resolution in most games except that FPS will drop.

That's comforting, thanks.

Can you recommend a good monitor to go along with a 980?

I don't have a PC still, do you recommend waiting for 980 Ti, or getting a 980 now and maybe another later on? I heard SLI doesn't make any difference as far as VRAM is concerned, only GPU rendering, so it won't solve any VRAM issues.

It takes no less than 2 video cards to run 4K right now (unless the TX can do it, haven't been following it). 1440p is plenty doable on 1 980, so that's the route I would go.

Back