• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade CPU - is it worth it? If so: Intel Xeon or i5 4690(k)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackgray

Registered
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Haven't overclocked for a while. My last attempts were few years ago on Athlon XP 1600+ if I remember correctly and only with air and only a little.
I have several questions which correspond with each other so I put them here. If it is not correct attitude please let me know for future posts.

I still play games if there is time. Mostly single player games. MMORPG very occasionally. Games like Starcraft II, Diablo III, Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age Origins (will Inquisition in time), Batman Arkham City (will Arkham Knight in time). My current HW is sufficient for 1080p playing in most cases with high details settings, sometimes ultra (for some older games). What I would like to achieve is to play everything fluently with ultra settings (including antialiasing etc.) on 1080p screen. For that I'd like to buy new GPU and am waiting for new AMD R9 380 which should come out this summer. R9 380 may be just renamed R9 290 with maybe few tweaks? Don't know.
As our currency exchange rate to US dollar is weaker and weaker, prices of PC components are rising higher and higher :(. Therefore I was thinking about upgrading the CPU now before it's more expensive in few months because I don't believe the situation will be any better.

So the questions:
1) Will my current CPU i3 4330 3.5GHz be a bottleneck for this upcoming GPU and should I upgrade the CPU now or wait for some future games and upgrade it later (probably next year while there is still CPU for this MoBo on the market)?

2) If I should upgrade now what CPU will do better for games and perhaps for future DX12 games for my current MoBo? i5 4690(k) or Xeon e3-1231v3? I don't want i7 as it is more expensive. Even the Xeon is quite expensive but if it is worth it then I will spend a few more coins ;).
I don't want to change the MoBo and on other forums someone suggested to buy the Xeon as it should be better than the i3 and i5 non-K 4690 and as future DX12 games could use HT it could be also better for this purpose. But someone else suggested OC i5 4690k so what do you think? Considering also one thing - see my third question.

3) I was thinking about i5 4690k as it is cheaper than the Xeon in our country and the MoBo should handle it with the latest bios (I already updated it). And I also thought whether it could be overclocked on this MoBo? From what I have found so far on different web pages and forums it could be overclocked just by rising up the multiplier and get around 4.1 - 4.2GHz with air cooling? What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience of overclocking 4690k on Gigabyte H87 MoBo? Again I don't want to change the MoBo.

Thank you in advance

We don't know enough about AMD's upcoming GPU's to give you an answer.

That said, if you're going to use the extra threads, the Xeon is a good option. I use one.
If you just need single core speed, the 4690K and an overclock is better.

Back