• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Display Port Mini, Display Port 1.2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I have 2x Dell U2515H, when you buy them, they come with a Display Port to Mini DP cable.

The screen has options for turning on Display Port 1.2. I am using the Display Ports on my EVGA 980's, but i pluggin the Mini Dp into the screens.

As far as i am aware Display Port 1.2 needs to be a regular size and not mini.

Heres the questions, what does 1.2 give me above what i am doing now?

If i need to run DP 1.2, do i need to buy cables made specially for 1.2 or are regular DP to DP cables fine?

I do need to buy longer cables for at least one screen, but before i do, i'd like to know more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

But consideing THIS product exists, I am not sure you need DP1.2 to be a regular size.

Also, a little more googling for you brought me to this:

Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable. A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

Last edited:
Good to know, from what I understand, the gain made by going to the normal display port size in the screen, would be to daisy chain the screens.

What i understand by that would be, have one DP plugged into my GPU, running all 3 screens (one screen plugged into GPU, then from the screen to the next and from the to the next), without taking a performance hit.

Is this correctly understood?

I had no idea you could daisy chain like that... sounds like something for a large billboard type display than for what you will use it as though. I run 1 DP cable to each monitor for 3 screen setups though.

That is how i run it right now, using 3 ports on the GPU, but if i could go down to one running from PC to screens, i'd be more than happy. Less cable fuss, and im really trying to clean up all the cables at the moment.

This should be it.

Last edited:
Back