• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Using an iPad so bare with me. I am in the market for a cheap non performance oriented psu and looking for some suggestions. The computer will be out in my shop and used for nothing but internet/radio and data logging software which won't be stressing the machine much at all. There also won't be any overclocking involved. I just need something that will power it up and run reliably. Thanks for any input.

What I'll be powering:
Amd fx8120 CPU
Gigabyte 890fxa-ud5 mobo
8gb g skill rip jaws ram (forget speed)
Intel 520 ssd
Basic cd drive
Few cheap generic case fans
Antec kuhler 620 cooler
2 Radeon 6970 cards chances are I will pull them out and replace them with a Radeon 5450, nvidia 8400 or something in that range.

That is, a hell of a internet/radio/ data logging machine, LOL...

Well, here is the thing, you need to buy enough capacity to run your 2 6970s. though I guess you wont be gaming so that isn't a huge deal.

I would look into the Corsair CX series around 550W. Just dont try to play games on it while you have those 6970's running.

That is, a hell of a internet/radio/ data logging machine, LOL...

Well, here is the thing, you need to buy enough capacity to run your 2 6970s. though I guess you wont be gaming so that isn't a huge deal.

I would look into the Corsair CX series around 550W. Just dont try to play games on it while you have those 6970's running.

Agreed.

I assume that is a PC that you already have spare parts lying around? Otherwise it is greatly overkill for what you are needing it to do.

Thanks I'll look into one. The computer is definitely overkill lol but it's all just old parts laying around and still installed in the case apart from needing a cd drive, psu, and some fans. Been wanting to stick a desktop out there as the only laptop I have I need in the house and to bring with me to work as well. Wanted to get a nice new bookshelf stereo setup and when I seen how over priced they are just decided to get this machine up and going along with a set of speakers I can scatter around. Get 2 things I want in one and save quite a few 100.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I just got the machine up and running last night. Ended up finding a corsair cx750 for pretty cheap so went with that. All is well apart from a reburished asus xonar dg card giving me some issues. I just tossed in the in trash and used on board. At the time of purchasing it I forgot the mb had onboard or else I wouldnt have.

At first the machine wouldnt post and I noticed the video card fans would speed up then slow down every 30 seconds or so. Apart from the PSU and soundcard nothing was changed in the machine and it ran fine before setting it aside a bit over a year ago. Pulled the sound card and it posted no probem, reinstalled it and wouldnt post again. Put it in another machine just to test things and sure enough it did the same thing.

Back