• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink Lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

How accurate is this old post by Cathar?

Originally Posted by Cathar
Well in the hunt for the best die-baseplate thermal "connection" with my waterblock research, I've found the "best" method that I've been able to achieve, and it falls in line with what's accepted and been tried elsewhere. However, me knowing me, I don't believe stuff until I try it for myself.

Basically I've lapped bases with:

150 grit
220 grit
320 grit
600 grit
800 grit
1000 grit
1200 grit
1500 grit
brasso + strong cloth
toothpaste + cloth
fine-cut cleanser
jeweller's rouge

All in incremental steps, to varying degrees of finish from rough, to a copper finish you can shave in.

So what's worked out the best?

Go to Bunnings. Grab a small board of 12mm thick MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard). It's flat as glass and a whole lot cheaper. Should cost about $5. Pick up 1 sheet each 150grit, 320grit, and 600 grit wet'n'dry sandpaper (black colored).

Take your heatsink, and lightly scribble over the base with a black permanent marker. Color the whole base in if you want.

Stick your 150 grit paper onto the MDF.

Take your heatsink/waterblock and scrub lengthways (if the block has a longer length in one direction - otherwise just pick). Move the block up and down the sandpaper while pushing down firmly. Do not move in a circular motion, just straight up and down. You'll need 3 hands. One to hold the block, and two to hold the edges of the sandpaper down so it doesn't "grab" and fold and rip. If nature didn't supply you with 3 hands, sitting on the floor and using a foot works just as well. Keep scrubbing until you can't see ANY of the ink/black. I periodically look at the base to see how it's going, this is how I can tell if a block is initially convex, concave, or whatever. This can take anything from 1 minute to 30 minutes (or more) depending on how flat the base is to start with.

Once the ink is gone, use the 320grit and scrub cross-ways. This time keep doing it until all the cross-lines left by the 150 grit sand-paper are ground away. Just move the block straight up an down - no round motion. This should take about 3-5 minutes.

Then use the 600 grit sandpaper and moving straight up and down lengthways sand the base until the 320-grit cross-ways lines are gone (another 3-5 minutes).

Finally follow up with a circular grind of the base on the 600-grit sandpaper for about 30 seconds. Wipe clean. This should leave the base with a dull reflective surface.

You're done!

Like I said, I've tried anything from 150-grit up to a mirror polish, but the dull 600-grit finish works out the best. Surprisingly, a 220-grit finish, and a mirror finish give about the same results (at least for me), while the dull 600-grit finish gave me about 0.5C better than either of those two for a ~100W CPU load.

I know that the above has been said here before a few times, so consider this as a re-affirmation of the procedure.

It has been years since I lapped a HS and the newer directions seem to start around 400 grit up to 2000 or so. Personally, I tend to think of Cathar as an authority on these types of things, but this post is a decade old. Are there any grievous errors or things I should consider / avoid? Or, am I safe to follow his instruction to the letter?

Thank you

Accurate (doesn't really matter where you start honestly)... but unless you are benchmarking and looking for every degree C, I wouldn't bother. For fun... DO IT! :)

Well, there is a slight convex to the HS along the far side so I have to grind it just a tad.

Thank you for the response. This build has only taken 6 months. By the time I get done it may be July / August. And to think, my sister got pregnant around the same time I began this build. I get a computer. She gets a kid.

I tend to think I came out better than she did :chair:

A slight convex is on purpose. It helps with TIM spreading and then flattens out slightly when tightened down.

A slight convex is on purpose. It helps with TIM spreading and then flattens out slightly when tightened down.

But on one side only? When I set it on a glass table it wobbles. The convex is not centered. There is like a hump on the right side, or left...lol, on one side. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

just do what I do.
five gallon bucket of water and a fine whet stone.
dunk the stone in the water, lap the heatsink in a figure of 8 5-10 times, clean it off and look at where the thing is cutting, if it's dead center, it's all good and you have cut very little off.
I have had very few heatsinks that needed more than this first step to tell me is was barking up the wrong tree.

I've only had to lap air coolers or cheap AIO's and I use glass from a 12 x 10 picture. Use duct tape to secure the glass to the board, the wood is never flat. Then use a less stick tape for the sand paper, remember that you are going to be changing this out often. You DO NOT want to use alot of pressure, just a nice easy back and forth. You might be pressing down to hard on one side, which you will end up having to also fix. USE BOTH HANDS to hold the heat sink on the sand paper, after 10 up/down turn the H/S 90 degrees and do another 10. Inspect the bottom of the H/S every 20 laps.
I've always started at the 800 Grit dry and worked my way up to 1500. If you are looking for the mirror finish, this is not a 5 min task.
It depends on how bad the base is when starting out, I've had the majority done in 4-6 hours but I've had 2 that took 2 days to do.
Theoretically the lapping of the CPU's heat sink and/or CPU's heat spreader is to remove any imperfections in flatness of either item. By doing this, you remove any air pockets between the two items, allowing less TIM to be used.
Ideally the best case would be a complete mating of the two items without the use of TIM for the maximum heat transfer.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading This Post

Back