• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SM951 or Intel 750 PCIe SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi, I posted a question about the Intel 750 PCIe SSD a couple of days ago. I been looking at the Samsung SM951. It looks like it's better on a client desktop then the Intel 750 PCIe SSD. Would any recommend the SM951 over the Intel 750 PCIe. I mainly use my desktop for gaming and working with VMs for my work. I initial thought I would be using my desktop for work but that's no longer the case. Thanks for any advice.

David

Haven't read any review about those PCI-E base ssd but i heard a lot of good review about the OCZ RevoDrive 350 ssd, they're freaking fast, i'm talking about 1800mb read and 1500mb write, and their tech support is not bad at all.

I myself have been using OCZ RevoDrive PCI-E ssd for some time now, i got a 480gb OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 ssd and it got a read speed of around 1250mb and 1000 mb write.

Haven't read any review about those PCI-E base ssd but i heard a lot of good review about the OCZ RevoDrive 350 ssd, they're freaking fast, i'm talking about 1800mb read and 1500mb write, and their tech support is not bad at all.

I myself have been using OCZ RevoDrive PCI-E ssd for some time now, i got a 480gb OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 ssd and it got a read speed of around 1250mb and 1000 mb write.

Thanks for the reply bu the OCZ RevoDrive 350 is way out of my price range :)

Older revo are nothing else than 2+ SSD in RAID0. There is no advantage in random transfers over a single SATA SSD. ASUS drive is almost the same and it's based on a SandForce controller as I see so it won't be anything special. 100k iops in random 4k can make now single SATA SSD. Revo 350 is also on SF but I see that random transfers are improved.

From newer drives there are HyperX Predator which is starting from ~$250 for 240GB and mentioned Intel/Samsung SSD which have much improved random bandwidth. Predator looks slightly better than Revo 350 but is in M.2 form factor with PCIe card if you wish to use it in PCIe slot.

Main problem is probably misleading declared performance of SSD. Barely anyone needs 1GB/s+ sequential transfers in desktop computers while random operations count the most. Still almost every brand is telling us that their SSD is the best because has the highest sequential bandwidth.

Back