• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video ports and stuff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
please correct my thinking if need be

#4,D-sud, no hd, no audio, just draws a picture on the screen, makes my 1080p monitor a moot point.

#3, dvi, low res, but true hd no audio.

#2, hdmi, true hd, higher res had with audio, the least I should use with my 1440 monitor.

!1, display port and mini display port, highest res and no audio, what I really want and need to use with my 1440 monitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_connectors

I dont think Dsub makes your 1080p monitor a moot point...isn't dsub VGA? That is good past 1080p.

DVI isn't low res. There are a couple types of DVI though. DVI-d for example is good to 2560x1600 IIRC. I'm running my 2560x1440 monitor with DVI-d (dual link).

I wouldn't call HDMI 'true' HD considering DVI does 1080p and VGA.

Displayport also carries audio but audio isn't usually sent through it.. has the ability to though.

Last edited:
so with this not being a 4 k monitor, 1440, the only one i should avoid with it is the vga.

I didn't think HDMI could do 1440p unless it was a newer revision. I thought it was just display port and DVI-dual link?

Correct. Looks like 1.3 will support it.

The HDMI specification defines the protocols, signals, electrical interfaces and mechanical requirements of the standard.[41] The maximum pixel clock rate for HDMI 1.0 was 165 MHz, which was sufficient to allow 1080p and WUXGA (1920×1200) at 60 Hz. HDMI 1.3 increased that to 340 MHz, which allows for higher resolution (such as WQXGA, 2560×1600) across a single digital link.[42] An HDMI connection can either be single-link (type A/C/D) or dual-link (type B) and can have a video pixel rate of 25 MHz to 340 MHz (for a single-link connection) or 25 MHz to 680 MHz (for a dual-link connection).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

So I guess it depends on the HDMI protocol on the GPU/cable, no? IIRC (no signature, so no clue!), CD has a GTX 980 which is HDMI 2.0, so he just needs a 1.3 or newer cable?

the cards will be xfire 280x, gtx770 2gig, sli gtx 760's 2 gig, sli 760 4gig, 7970, gtx 970, and it will be the monitor I got from mattno, when it's mine.
right now I can only leave it in the box till the post office does it's job.

it looks like with a couple of dvi to hdmi adaptors and a couple mini dp to full size dp cables I'll be all set to run any combo I like, all the cards are hdmi 1.3 or 1.4 and I can use the displayport on the monitor or the hdmi port.

Back