• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Wont Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Hi Folks:

I'm helping a neighbor get his laptop back in order. He is running Windows 8.

I used system restore to get the rig back to factory fresh. It worked great. Now onto the updates.

It did an update of about 144. I rebooted and checked again. It said I had 29 more to do so I did. Once it goes to install those updates it says "failure to updated" and reverts the pc back to the previous condition. I did this three times and have the same result. Two days from now it's going to attempt to load those updates again and I'm sure I will have the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Also, sometimes the updates must proceed in a certain sequence, particularly Net Framework; if it's included in your list, let it update separately and first. If you look at the 'Recommended' or 'Critical' update tab you may want to select them for update one at a time especially the larger MB files.

Also, sometimes the updates must proceed in a certain sequence, particularly Net Framework; if it's included in your list, let it update separately and first. If you look at the 'Recommended' or 'Critical' update tab you may want to select them for update one at a time especially the larger MB files.

Ok. I'll give that a try.

Do all the critical updates first and save the "recommended ones" until all the critical ones are installed. Many of the recommended ones will drop out or be included in the critical ones later on. Install the critical ones in small bunches until you narrow down the one that is failing. Then manually download that one from microsoft and attempt to install it manually. Also, make sure the Windows time/date stamp is correct in the notification area. Updating failure can be caused by the time and date setting predates the updates available.

a couple of things we have to do to update are,
a full shutdown after installing the updates, not just a restart.
a few times I have had to let auto updating do the job.

A full shut down shouldn't make a difference, so long as fast boot isn't enabled. As long as you see the UEFI splash screen, you should be fine.

Yeah, not sure of the merit behind powering down... Windows update doesn't tell you to do that either, it specifically says reboot, doesn't it?

I'm frustrated. I check for updates. Then download the updates. Then go into the list "uncheck all" then check three at a time and hit install. When it goes to install its installing all of the updates even when I only checked three to be installed. WTH am I doing wrong?

I'm frustrated. I check for updates. Then download the updates. Then go into the list "uncheck all" then check three at a time and hit install. When it goes to install its installing all of the updates even when I only checked three to be installed. WTH am I doing wrong?

Check this article out. You'll need to delete the update cache, and rerun Windows Update. See if that helps.

I can't explain it and don't know how to get a snip of it but sometimes when i go to reboot after running updates there is an icon on the shutdown button and when i see that and click shutdown it installs updates while shutting down.

Try manually resetting the Windows Update Service: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Try using Windows 8/8.1 "Built in Troubleshooter": https://www.winhelp.us/reinstall-windows-update.html

Read this: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-fix-for-windows-update-corruption-errors/

This worked for somebody: "hit the Windows key then x and run the command prompt with admin privileges (elevated command prompt). Type "sfc /scannow" without the quotations and a space between sfc and /scannow. I had the same problem and this fixed it."

Watch this:

Try downloading "WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab" (without quotes).

The problem is this issue is not always caused by the same thing so different fixes work on don't work for different folks.

I've run into update problems on three different machines in the last several days and the fix was different for all of them.

Last edited:
I can't explain it and don't know how to get a snip of it but sometimes when i go to reboot after running updates there is an icon on the shutdown button and when i see that and click shutdown it installs updates while shutting down.
That option isn't there because the updates REQUIRE a power down. Its there as an option to install and shutdown so you don't have to wait for it to install, reboot, then shutdown. You can still install and reboot if you choose with that little icon there. ;)

Back