• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

swapping cpus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
so i had this old AMD sempron cpu lying around that i had bent the pins on a while ago and decided to try to straighten them just to see if i can get it to work. man that was a painful, slow process, but i finally got it to drop in the socket properly.

i had an overclocked athlon 2 in the rig previously. what i realized when i was at the windows splash screen was that those OC settings for the Athlon might not work for the sempron and might damage it actually. Luckily it didn't and the OC settings were actually pretty stable.

what i was wondering is if it is proper procedure, when changing out a CPU, to boot directly into the BIOS and set it to the default settings first? something i'll have to remember in the future if so.

^^+1 or a CMOS clr if you didn't set default.

Sempys are pretty tough Cpu's you would have had to throw some serious volts at it to kill it!

+1...

I wouldn't be worried about killing it so much as I would be about getting it to boot with another CPUs settings. :)

Most decent boards will just give you the 'overclocking failed' message and let you change settings anyway.

Last edited:
Most decent boards will just give you the 'overclocking failed' massage and let you change settings anyway.

Agreed - Typically if you don't get the Overclocking failed" message, it will give another saying "New CPU Installed" and will prompt you to hit F1 to configure it or just to let it keep booting up.
I've rarely ever had to set things to default if swapping CPUs, I just do the swap, reboot and reconfigure then boot it again. However since I do tend to be always swapping stuff around I"m used to it if it doesn't want to work. Most of the time I would ever have to worry about it is if swappng a CPU in my daily driver, that could be an issue and I do take into consideration what pieces I'm swapping around as to whether I need to reconfigure the setup or not to do it.

Most of the time it's not a problem with a simple reset of the BIOS being what fixes it should it not boot up. It's when you forget to downclock it from a raging 8 cored CPU to a little Sempy you might have trouble but luckily Sempys really can handle some voltage.

Back