• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to block social plugins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Hi everybody,

With all the social media taking up space nowadays I need to block some of this crap....like when you visit a site, and you can't read the article because the social media plugin scrolls right along with you e.g. you scroll down away from the social plugin and it scrolls down with you/me so I decide to "like" the page even though I haven't read it yet just to get rid of the plugin and it just stays there. :confused:

It's getting to the point where I feel that the facebook and twitter gestapo are following me everywhere.

I am using FF 37 and have strict popup blocker and add block extensions but I don't want to globally block everything. To me that would be like putting out the barbeque with a hook & ladder crew...overkill.

There are so many choices in the addons section that I;m not sure what to install to do what I need. I will try to post a screeny to show what I mean. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, and sorry for not knowing how to crop the image,
Doc annoying social plugin.JPG

I use a hosts file (HpHosts) that covers the system, in the browser(s) Disconnect and TrackMenot with 3rd party cookies blocked from sites not visited and cleared on browser close. TMN is set to inactive, it allows me to check what the page carries with it. No need to use CCleaner or clean or cookies/cache, if I do see something that bugs me, I hover over it to get the URL then remove/block any cookie relating to the site and add it to my hosts file.

I use tracking protection in IE.
No adverts, no social media, no YouTube and no flash player.

Just go to the manage add ons tab and click on get tracking protection then download the lot. :)

Are you using AdBlock Plus? It has a Social blocker, using Fanboy's Social Blocking List. Works great too, IMHO.

I think I got Add block plus..I got the one that shows the blue shield, just never had to bother with it till lately, as most sites have the social link in between the article and associated picture, but when they put on the side, where it interferes with the reading, then I usually just leave the site but not before while letting them know why I won't return. last time I tried to setup a proxy I failed miserably, so I will poke around with the suggestions you all gave and see how it goes.
Thank You all,
Doc

I forgot to mention that a long time ago, someone told me that

"Friends don't let Friends use IE"

The only time I ever used IE in the last 10 years is for Windows updates because they require you to use it.

If you don't want to deal with the long and error-prone configuration of NoScript whitelisting, go with EFF's PrivacyBadger. It allows ads through, only blocking tracking scripts and cookies, so you're not preventing sites from getting PPV revenue, while avoiding the ad source doing any more than logging an IP and user-agent at best.

I think I got Add block plus..I got the one that shows the blue shield

That's "AdBlock Edge", which is a rather pointless fork IMHO as the only thing it does specially can be done by simply unchecking one little checkbox in AdBlock Plus.

Last edited:
Back