• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_RED_

Hello everyone.

I have recently bought a Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 2 X 4 GB memory kit (HX316C9SRK2/8), and i set the XMP profile in the BIOS. The CPU-Z show the correct memory settings (1600 MHz CL9-9-9), but in the AIDA64 membench results lower than my old RAM (Kingston 2 X 2 GB 1333 MHz CL9, KVR1333D3N9K2/4G). Why slower my new RAM, is this possible?

My config:
MB: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: Phenom II X4 980
PSU: 550W
VGA: Sapphire R7 260C OC 2GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 2 X 4 GB 1600 MHz CL9 new, Kingston 2 X 2 GB 1333 MHz CL9 old

I attached my memory settings and the results, and sorry for my bad english.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg RAM spec.jpg

I know Kingston RAM + AMD FX = headaches, but does this apply to Phenoms as well?

That benchmark isn't always accurate 100% of the time first off. Secondly, you have 2 different types of Kingston memory installed.

From what I see, it looks normal and good especially if you are not getting blue screens and such.

There were issues with single Kingston kits on AMD and suddenly all think every Kingston RAM is bad for AMD. Power of Internet ... I've never had any issues with Kingston on AMD regardless if it was PII generation or FX. All that matters are memory profiles which as in most brands are designed for Intel.
The same many G.Skill kits have almost the same 2 XMP profiles as one of them usually has issues on AMD but works good on Intel. The other one usually works on AMD and on Intel.

Regarding performance, new 4GB modules are all single sided so offer slightly lower performance than the older double sided sticks at similar clock. Since PII has weak memory controller which is not really showing advantage of higher clocked memory then results on new 1600 kit will be lower. You can try to set Savage kit at CL8-9-8 or something similar and lower sub timings. Maybe it will help but probably not much.

Thanks for the replies!

So this is the "normal" speed for the Savage kit (with my config)? With a FX CPU this kit (Savage) run faster? Or maybe exist another 2 X 4 GB kit, witch faster than my old 1333 MHz CL9 kit with my current MB+CPU (and fully compactible with it)? I don't want OC, just stable, 1600 speed (maybe more), witch faster than my current config.

Back