• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Servers from the 90's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm asking if the higher records that you're looking at are cold or not.

Just wanted to make sure, some processors respond to cold better

How about a Gateway2000 NS-9000 (aka ALR 6x6 Revolution)

www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/607094-Gateway-2000-NS-9000-Pentium-Pro-5-core-server
www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/670383-What-computer-*don-t*-the-competitors-have

The system is crazy stupid overkill for a system in that time period. The hard drives it came with was capable of a blazing 9 mb/sec transfer speed. The memory does a blistering 120 mb/sec.

So no, anything that old is going to be incredibly worthless for any task. A low power AMD CPU/GPU is going to be magnitudes faster and draw far less power. Old systems are fun to have, but using them for things other than a nightstand (which mine does an amazing job of), isn't worth the headache.

The message about multiple Pentium Pro processors being unsupported, apparently is because Microsoft disabled multi-processor support for some Pentium Pro processors, because Intel pulled a Phenom I on us. (TLB defect)

The message about multiple Pentium Pro processors being unsupported, apparently is because Microsoft disabled multi-processor support for some Pentium Pro processors, because Intel pulled a Phenom I on us. (TLB defect)
Your timeline is a little skewed.
Phenom I pulled an Intel on us. (TLB Defect). ;)

Ha! Forgot about this thread :chair:
CPU's are all cleaned up nice now. I even found some DDR ram I had lying around, 2 GB of it!

Anyone know where I can find a good mobo with some OC options and something to cool these chips?

Thanks Scott. :salute:

I'll post a WTB add in our classifieds as well.
In the mean time, I'll keep hunting :)

Not a BX chipset. Mod might still work though.
Problem you'll have is no voltage control except for maybe vcore via pin mod, and no software to control the FSB. Need to know the PLL number to be sure.

Not a BX chipset. Mod might still work though.
Problem you'll have is no voltage control except for maybe vcore via pin mod, and no software to control the FSB. Need to know the PLL number to be sure.

Ahh I figured that mod would work with any skt 370 board...
Found a GA-6ETXDR, but it's $120...
Also found the Intel STL2, but only 512Mb of RAM which is low.
CUR-DLS board I found...
Dell Poweredge 2500 mobo I found...

Can't seem to find out if any of these boards at least let me control the FSB speeds...

Boards with OC options are far and few between. This site should help you.
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=32786
It's a good site if you're into all the old retro platforms.

BTW, LuckyBob is a friend of mine. He knows his retro. ;)

LuckyBob of 2CPU.com forums just got a great deal on a SuperMicro dual socket LGA 1366 server complete in the case. Now he's selling his old AMD dual socket server.

My deal on a SM server project has been sucking lately :(

I wish I'd been more patient and gotten a unit from the same guy he got his from :cry:

Back