• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Servers from the 90's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Code:
GIGABYTE GA-6ETXDR (1.0 ) TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Device    GIGABYTE GA-6ETXDR (1.0 )
Brand    GIGABYTE
Sockets Supported    2xS370

Chipset    ServerWorks CNB30LE
CPU Support    Intel Pentium III Tualatin
Multi-core CPU Support    Yes
Bios    AMI
SLI / CrossFire    No
[B][COLOR=#FF0000]RAM Support    DDR DIMM / 100 - 133 MHz
Memory Technology    ECC
Number of RAM Slots    4[/COLOR][/B]

SCSI    Number of ports: 2 / Ultra 160 / no RAID
IDE    No
Audio    No
Graphics    Yes / based on ATI Rage XL
Ethernet    2x10 / 100 Mbit / s / based on Intel 82559

Interfaces    2 USB / 2xCOM / D-Sub / 2xEthernet / PS / 2 (keyboard) / PS / 2 (mouse) / LPT
Back Panel Connectors    2 USB / 1xCOM / D-Sub / 2xEthernet / PS / 2 (keyboard) / PS / 2 (mouse) / LPT
Form Factor    ATX
Expansion slot    4xPCI
Power    20-pin
FSB    133 MHz

Ecc max    4 Gb

Looks like you'll be able to get 4x1GB PC133 Registered ECC SDRAM DIMM to max it out.

Yep :thup:

Just need to find some.
No rush though, still have other parts to find

Garbage.
Take care of your stuff. My file server is a dual MP2800+ K7D Master. It's still in like new condition, and still performs flawlessly for what it is.
Is there better?, sure, but if you're into old hardware, new isn't an option. It defeats the purpose of being an old hardware junkie.
Different strokes for different folks.

I read that and got goose bumps thinking bout the 3 K7D Masters I had for folding@home duty. :grouphug:

For the RAM, should I really be concerned with the manufature?
Found some Micron, also found a set of infineon..

Looking through the manual for the board, doesn't seem to be anything related to overclocking the FSB :-/
But there's a BIOS update that gives me access to RAM timings :)

Other than ebay and OCF I'm not sure where to find this old RAM too....

Last edited:
Hmmm...

Micron is 40$ Infineon is 30$...
Then again, a few posts say Infineons don't clock for beans...

Found a 2Gb set of Samsung. Maybe I'll just run 2Gb instead of looking for a good set of 4Gb. So many choices :)

http://www.memoryx.com/gigaxan1024.html

Just call and make sure what they have in stock and insist on 4x of the same model #.

Old stuff is often more expensive if there is still a demand and due to scarcity.

I've never done business with them. Better check 'em out on http://www.resellerratings.com/ to be safe.
They seem pretty good.
Thanks for the site!

I think I came across memory ten 6 from some earlier googling. Can't recall... They seem to have a good selection of sticks :)

Board arrived!!
IMG_20150714_183106[1].jpg IMG_20150714_184627[1].jpg

Hard to read the PLL so I'll spell it out:
CM120205C
9248AF-107

Seems it should be supported according to this old page. :thup:
9248-107 is listed as supported so since this is close hopefully it'll work.

Also just bought these. :)
Nice 4GB kit of Microns.

Last edited:
would like to point out that you two are confusing things, the listing says DDR but yet someone said get pc133 ram. pc133 ram is not DDR it is SDR, older P3's used either 100mhz fsb or 133mhz fsb's. there are via and the serverworks chipsets that will use DDR, so please make sure your getting the right ram.

not a server but i still have my Abit ST6 non-raid with 2x256mb PC133 SDR sticks in the garage some where. used it to test out the Voodoo 5 5500's i picked up a long time ago. seems the guy selling a whole batch of them, they were all working in 2D mode but all failed 3D modes or glide/opengl games. i still got a V5 5500 mac pci card i need to get a pc bios loaded on to, only down side is the DVi connector doesnt work when you go to the pc bios.

would like to point out that you two are confusing things, the listing says DDR but yet someone said get pc133 ram. pc133 ram is not DDR it is SDR, older P3's used either 100mhz fsb or 133mhz fsb's. there are via and the serverworks chipsets that will use DDR, so please make sure your getting the right ram.

not a server but i still have my Abit ST6 non-raid with 2x256mb PC133 SDR sticks in the garage some where. used it to test out the Voodoo 5 5500's i picked up a long time ago. seems the guy selling a whole batch of them, they were all working in 2D mode but all failed 3D modes or glide/opengl games. i still got a V5 5500 mac pci card i need to get a pc bios loaded on to, only down side is the DVi connector doesnt work when you go to the pc bios.

Yes, the listing is wrong. The board "must" use ECC SDRAM. 133Mhz. Seems it won't boot otherwise.

I will try today though, I found an old skt 370 cooler, cheap one so I can atleast see if the board will fire up with one CPU installed. Don't know if it'll POST without ECC RAM though. Guess I will confirm.

Well I couldn't get the board to POST so ECC RAM it needs. IT did appear to power on though. The CPU fan hooked up to the PSU power on so that's good.
I had a few different SD RAM types here to try so I swapped between them to no avail....

Now the board won't turn on :bang head
The board looks fine, no burn marks or smoke, but I smell the burnt PCB smell near the power connectors and speaker.

I think, I might have killed it... I'm hoping it's just a polyfuse.....
There also appears to be 2 slightly bulging caps on the board....

EDIT: I think I found the problem. The power button pins on the motherboard have a resistance of infinite ohms, while another motherboard I have here shows 8.5K Ohms. So it seems I shorted the power button pins on the motherboard.

Would simply shorting the green and black wire on the PSU start the board? Or would that just fry everything?

Last edited:
i dont think it would fry anything but it might already be fried. i know it is suppose to be a soft start with the mobo pins, im not sure what else it would be tied to though. might be worth doing at this point since it sounds like a new board might be in order since the start pins on the board have been fried.

either that or see if you can trace to the circuit from the start pins. see if the smd resistor or what soft start parts are fried and if you can replace them.

i dont think it would fry anything but it might already be fried. i know it is suppose to be a soft start with the mobo pins, im not sure what else it would be tied to though. might be worth doing at this point since it sounds like a new board might be in order since the start pins on the board have been fried.

either that or see if you can trace to the circuit from the start pins. see if the smd resistor or what soft start parts are fried and if you can replace them.

I did try and trace the circuits, but there was too much silkscreen ink in the way...
No fried parts from what I can see either, it like I just burnt a trace deep in the middle of the PCB...

I did however stumble upon a possible solution to my now dead pins...
I simply grounded the one power pin that had a 3.2K ohm resistance on it, and volia! The board powered up again!

The fans spun, but because I still don't have the proper RAM, it won't boot further.
At this point, I am waiting on the ECC RAM I ordered and if all goes well, I need to recap 2 bad caps.

IT'S ALIVE!!!

IMG_20150721_201810[1].jpg

Running memtest on the 4Gb worth of RAM I finished installing :)

The next step is finding replacements for the 2 slightly bulging caps. G-lux 6.3v 1200uf.
Thinking these will work.

Might as well order 14 so I can replace all the g-lux caps. They are all the same ratings anyway.

If you can find higher rated caps for cheaper, do that instead. 0.75c per is quite a lot.

For example, if the 1500µF version is 0.10c, there is no reason to spend more.

If you can find higher rated caps for cheaper, do that instead. 0.75c per is quite a lot.

For example, if the 1500µF version is 0.10c, there is no reason to spend more.

Was literally going to open a thread to ask this. Thanks thid :)
From what I gather, voltage should be the same or a bit higher as well correct?

Was literally going to open a thread to ask this. Thanks thid :)
From what I gather, voltage should be the same or a bit higher as well correct?
Take the current capacitor as a minimum. If you can find a 7v 1500µF for a fraction of the price, that is perfectly OK, for example. Keep it within reason. If you go with something like a 30v, that might cause you issues, if I remember correctly.

other options would be from Nichicon or Panasonic, all things being the same im not sure why some cost more then other from the same brand. as in all ratings are the same, i dont see anything in the pdf that makes one better then another. why not go with the lower cost caps?

higher voltage rating on caps, from what i recall should follow 10% min. higher then voltage going into the cap. i like 20%, the question is what voltage, 3.3v or 5v? if its 3.3v then the rating is already way more then needed and close to 50%, if its 5v rail then even at 20% the cap would need to be 6v. stick with 6.3v and the same uF rating, you might find by going to a higher voltage or uF rating. the cap might be larger in diamater then the current one and may not fit on the board. all depends on spacing around the area of the cap.

i would suggest this
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G19464
but i dont know if they ship to CA and you need a $10 min order.

Last edited:
Back