• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Servers from the 90's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OMG i remember those, but i dont recall them being amd heatsinks. i remember there was a company that started doing the skived heatsinks before thermalright back in the day. i had on of those sinks then thermalright came out with theirs and the SK6+ is still on the Abit ST6/1.2ghz tually celeron.

OMG i remember those, but i dont recall them being amd heatsinks. i remember there was a company that started doing the skived heatsinks before thermalright back in the day. i had on of those sinks then thermalright came out with theirs and the SK6+ is still on the Abit ST6/1.2ghz tually celeron.

I think socket A clips also work on Socket 370. Hence the AMD fans I think. :)

I honestly have no idea who made these. Your time frame is about right though. These came off my K7D Master and were replaced by a pair of Volcano 6's.
Socket A and 370 share the same mounting, yes.
They'll be fine on that dually board.

Hey Kyle,
My retro K7D on the bench today with Voodoo5. :)

Attachments

• K7D2.JPG
    K7D2.JPG
    880 KB · Views: 546
  • K7D1.JPG
    K7D1.JPG
    820.1 KB · Views: 547
Pair of Barton MP 2800+'s.
Figured you might like to see it. :)
Nice!
Absolutely! I do love old hardware :)
Nothing wrong with older stuff at all.

You have the luxury of overclocking on that board though. I can't seem to get anywhere with mine. The exact PLL isn't listed on CPUCOOL, but it has a similar one. My PLL is an ICS 9428AF-107 cpucool has 9248-102, and it didn't work.

I was hoping to take a peak inside the BIOS, but I can't open the BIOS file with the few AMIBCP version I have here :(

Around 2005 when I first got broadband I got into Unreal Tournament 99 servers.

First server was a Pentium III 733, or similar. I almost always ran XP Pro, or Server 2003. May have had 512 MB of RAM, not more, maybe less. 60 Gig HDD. At first I only served games. Eventually I ran a website and a mysql server for a forum. Normally used phpbb, but played around with a copy of vbulletin (what this site uses) and a bunch of other stuff. At that point I had moved up to an older Proliant with dual 2.2 GHz netburst Xeons.

Somewhere along the line I decided that I didn't want a huge, loud, hot dual P4 Xeon box running 24/7 and remembered how well that damn P3 did. So I cherry picked my parts, and found a 1.3 GHz Pentium III with a micro ATX motherboard which had onboard video and LAN. So all that was required was a HDD and power supply. This ran game servers, a website, and a low traffic forum, as well as my personal web space. I'd FTP into it away from home to get files, and could acess it via remote desktop too. I also was even able to run another instance of XP on it in a virtual machine, and it kept up!

This thing only drew 30W from the wall socket, and was possibly the most practical home web server I'd ever set up.

But... With any dual Xeon setup, or dual core for that matter, you outta be able to run server 2008 and have a lot of fun if the machine isn't in high demand.

I loved playing with servers, and tried to get my hands on any SMP setup I could find. I still have a 4x Pentium Pro 200 MHz IBM Netfinity, had the Dual Xeon Proliant, a single Xeon Proliant, too many Dual Pentium 3 Dells to even name...

Hey Kyle,
My retro K7D on the bench today with Voodoo5. :)
:chair: I have a K7D and a VooDoo 5 5500..... But my voodoo 5 is in a PIII 1000 box, and some nice DX 9 AGP card is in the K7D.

god i remember one day my dad brought home a ibm server using Ppro's. it had 3 slots for the cpu cards, for some reason it wouldnt power up, which is why he brought it home. they replaced it with some MP amd setup back then... i fiddled with the box tring to get it back to life but nothing i did worked and even looked online for service manuals for it. i just remember thinking i could house 6 Ppro's, they were still pretty good for servers back then.

Thinking of getting some SCSI drives for this server to hold all my data that I infrequently use.

I've never dabbled with SCSI though, but everything is backwards compatible from what I read.
So I'd need a SCSI cable (how many pins? do that matter?) and some sort of terminator?

Yup, SCSI is like linux, many flavors. And then ya need a termination on the cable end.

Seems the board supports Dual Channel Ultra160.
Looks to be 68 pins too. Quick google search shows some 300Gb Ultra320 68 pin drives on fleabay :)

I was thinking I was going to be stuck with old 40 Gb drives!
I'll stop by CanadaComputers tomorrow. I doubt it, but they might still have some SCSI cables. I'll probably put an ad up in the classies for SCSI drives and cables too

Back