• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i5 4690K on Gigabyte H87 MoBo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackgray

Registered
Hi everyone,

I updated bios on my Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3 recently (ver. F9) and now it should handle haswell refresh CPUs. With the latest bios the CPU multiplier is unlocked and theoretically it could be possible to overclock the "K" versions of these CPUs.

I was thinking about buying i5 4690k but only in case it could be overclocked. Does anyone have experience with overclocking haswell (refresh) "K" CPU on this MoBo?

I saw a YouTube video of overclocking i5 4690K / 4670K on Asus motherboard (
), so is it ot should it be possible to do something similar on Gigabyte H87 MoBo? OC the CPU to at least 4 - 4.2GHz?

Thanks

The thing I hear most of the time is the flashed bios boards are just not built substantially enough to endure heavy overclocking. See if that is not the response of the many.

RGone...

Its 4 phase, with a heatsink, and a quad not a quad with HT so it should be OK for low-moderate overclocks.

The question is are there options in the bios to do so? Vcore and multiplier?

Yes they are. I already tried to change the multiplier for my i3 from auto to the highest option which was 35 (BUS speed is 100). The Vcore can also be changed.

I'd like to buy new GPU in few months and don't want my CPU to be bottleneck for it. Therefore I'm thinking of buying new CPU to my current MoBo as I don't want to change the MoBo.

Well, you won't be breaking any records with that board. It is not really made for overclocking, but as I said it should still handle a moderate overclock.

Your best bet would be to spend the money on a Z97 board instead of another CPU. Buying another CPU will be a waste on your current board. That 4690K will clock better on a Z97 board and will not bottleneck your new GPU.

It really is worth it to at least try on that board first. Remember, this is Intel, not an AMD Octo. I am confident that board can be ok to 4Ghz or so with that CPU in it...

If it doesn't work, THEN spend the cash, but... so long as he has multi and vcore options, he should be good to 4Ghz+.

Also if he doesn't already have a k CPU buying a new board is a waste. May as well try.

So I bought the 4690k today and PC runs without problems. Temperatures around 33°C. But when I ran Prime95 and the "lot of CPU stress, less memory" test, temperatures went up very quickly. I stopped it when they reached 85°C (the test ran not even 2 minutes). What cooler should I buy instead of Freezer 13? I'd also like to OC the CPU to 4GHz - 4,2GHz if it is possible.
One of these?:
- Cooler Master Hyper 412S
- SilentiumPC Fera 2 HE1224
- Scythe SCMGD-1000 Mugen MAX

Or some other?

Thx

CM Hyper 212 Evo will get you to that goal easily.

That said, I would look at remounting your current cooler and reapplying the thermal paste as that freezer 13 should easily allow you to hit those clock speeds as well.

What does you case airflow look like as in how many fans, their location and what direction are they blowing(front/sides should be intake, top/rear should be exhaust)? What are your ambient temps?

The case is Cooler Master Silencio 450. As I removed the i3, I also applied new paste on the i5 as there was none. The thermal paste is Titan TTG-S104. Some old paste I found in the closet, so I don't know whether it's still effective.
About the air flow - if you google picture of this case - opened case, then you can see (I'm afraid I cannot describe it properly) - one cooler on the back in the same line as the CPU cooler is and the air goes from the front panel, where only dvd is through back panel. Below the CPU is GPU and below it PSU which should take air from the GPU unit also through the back panel and harddrives are behind the front panel where also one cooler is but I'm not sure how this one blows.

I just bought SilentiumPC Fera 2 HE1224 as it was the only one in stock from the four suggested.

How much paste and on what place (CPU - the whole or just in the middle or the cooler) should it be applied? On some YT videos they apply the paste in the middle of CPU, on some videos they spread it over the whole CPU.

I hope I will achieve better temperatures with this one and then I will try to OC it on the H87 MoBo and put in here some results.

Does the stuff you bought come with instructions? If so, go by those. If not, do the 'slightly larger than BB size' drop in the middle and let the pressure of the heatsink do the work to spread it.

It was not a boxed version. Just the CPU. I googled a little bit and I know I did the worst thing I could have done. Put there too much paste and spread it with my finger :-(. Well I will unmount the Freezer 13, clean the CPU and as you say, put just a drop in the middle and attach the SilentiumPC Fera cooler.

I changed the Freezer 13 with SilentiumPC Fera 2 and the improvement is really high. 73°C under heavy load for about 15 minutes. With the Freezer the temperatures went to 83°C in less than 5. It can also be caused by the thermal paste which I used and I used a lot of it :-/.
I'll try to OC it and put a few notes in here about it as well. Just as a proof whether it can be overclocked on H87 MoBo with an air cooler.

Here are first results of slightly overclocked 4690K on Gigabyte H87 with latest bios. I set multiplier of all cores to 39. BLK is 100, so all cores ran at nearly 3,9GHz. I used RealTemp to check the temperatures and Prime95 for stress testing - I ran the first test = Small FFTs (maximum heat, FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not tested much) for about 15 minutes.
Values from RealTemp:
4690K 3891.03MHz 99.77 x 39.00
Cores:
0 1 2 3
93°C 92°C 92°C 89°C

New freezer helped a lot but based on these results I don't think my PC configuration is ideal for higher OC.

Back