• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gelid GC Extreme Application

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

So, I get my CPU tomorrow and will be installing the fist half of things. Before I toss my water block on, I am curious re how to best apply this product. I have always used AS5 in the past and I usually spread it thin. But, it seems like the spread method has issues and the pea / rice grain size in the middle of the cpu method is just as / nearly / better than the spread method.

Further, a lot of posts I read suggest this TIM is thick and they heat it first. So, I am curious how I should go about things / seeking advice.

Also, what about the GPU? My EK block will arrive Wed. and I have never done a GPU. Here I wonder if spread / figure X / or some other method is best.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I got the same paste and the pea/rice method works if you twist slightly the cooler on the IHS. Now spreading the paste on the GPU dye is easier, done it to 3-4 different gpus, just use the spreader that comes in the package and you'll be fine.

Follow the instructions that came with the product is my suggestion...

Well, it came with my EVO block. There were no directions. Further, their website, http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=3&id=42&tab=1 does not provide instructions either, at least none I found with cursory examination. The .pdf you can download is just an ad type thing. And, in addition, there is no spreader with the EVO block, so that was why I asked to begin with. But, I suppose I can pull out the old trusty credit card!

The kit comes with a spreader. It is less viscous than Noctua's NT-H1. I would say apply it more than once with ever-larger blobs and remove the contact surface to check your work. Don't be surprised if the blobs spread out after you apply them. You may find that a 5-6mm blob extends to the entire surface of the cpu after squishing. But experiment.

The kit comes with a spreader. It is less viscous than Noctua's NT-H1. I would say apply it more than once with ever-larger blobs and remove the contact surface to check your work. Don't be surprised if the blobs spread out after you apply them. You may find that a 5-6mm blob extends to the entire surface of the cpu after squishing. But experiment.

Yeah, I know the kit does. Just the block doesn't, or at least not mine didn't include the plastic spreader. But no worries. I will just apply via the blob method and recheck and see how it looks. TY ~

Back