• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To put wattage needs in perspective

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is more than enough. Stock 7870s are 175w cards. You could easily add the cpu in there as well and even overclock a bit.

People tend to overestimate quite a bit on how much they really need.

OTOH it's better to run well under the max rating than push it to the limits.

I recently got a used PCP&C Quad 750 for my main/GPU folding rig, but decided to keep it in reserve for my next project. I'd love to build a 2P Xeon or 4P Opteron workstation one of these days.

It is, but not to the point that some people do. I have seen, several times here, people mention this 50% number being good. If you are going SLI/CFx then sure, you need the headroom. If you aren't and go 50%ish, its waste of cash.

While I would never do it, a quality PSU should run its rating for its warrantied life. I prefer to stick around 75% or so. The PSUs I choose are very efficient so running at that capacity it is still whisper quiet (EVGA Supernova G2 750W). And I saved $50 in doing so. ;)

People always overestimate their power needs.

And that is why we have a world that doesn't give a **** about the world - because it's all about the immediate price in dollars. But, for an older system with a < 90% efficient PSU, it will pay for itself within the warranty period unless you have a below-average per-kWh price.

I still highly doubt that the cost savings of the efficiency would work out to be equal.

Looking at the Corsair AX1500i 80+Titanium PSU which costs $400 or the ST1500 Silverstone 80+Silver power supply (which received a 9.7 on JG) for $270. You get approximately 94% efficiency at the 50% mark on the titanium and 89% on the Silver. I pay $0.06/kwh on my electricity.

With the efficiency of the AX1500i running at 750W you are wasting approximately 47.8w. If running at 100% of the time at 750W (.0478*720*6) Which according to my calculations = $2.06/mo
With the efficiency of the ST1500 running at 750W you are wasting approximately 90w. (.090*720*6) Which = $3.88/mo

Leaving $1.82 difference in cost savings of the Titanium PSU for month. In order to make up the difference of the two power supplies ($130) it would take approximately 135months or a little over 11 years.

Even looking at Corsair's webpage of savings for a more efficient PSU:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2...at-does-it-mean-and-what-is-the-benefit-to-me

It has a cost savings of $5/year with a Platinum over the Silver. Granted that doesn't cover Titanium, but the difference is still going to be less than $10.

Last edited:
And that is why we have a world that doesn't give a **** about the world - because it's all about the immediate price in dollars. But, for an older system with a < 90% efficient PSU, it will pay for itself within the warranty period unless you have a below-average per-kWh price.
You may want to work out the math on that one petty (ive done it before). Unless you f@H or mine bitcoins or game 12 hours /day 365 days /year, you won't get it back unless your electric costs are incredibly high. Gaming 4 hours a day, IIRC, doesn't do it either.

But a miner/folder someone that runs under load 24/7 or close to it, I'm with you.

You may want to work out the math on that one petty (ive done it before). Unless you f@H or mine bitcoins or game 12 hours /day 365 days /year, you won't get it back unless your electric costs are incredibly high. Gaming 4 hours a day, IIRC, doesn't do it either.

But a miner/folder someone that runs under load 24/7 or close to it, I'm with you.

So I dun good with my EVGA 850G then. :)

Back