• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i7-4720HQ can it be overclocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chalkster

I've ordered an MSI GT80 Titan sli and I'm curious about the overclock ability of the cup as its soldered to the mobo and therefore not upgradable, has anyone clocked this cpu? If so how much by?

If there are no options in the bios then you should be able to use either Intel XTU or ThrottleStop. Most of Intel's 4700 series can have the maximum multiplier increased by +2 bins of additional turbo boost.

There is some interesting work going on in the laptop community. Not sure if or when this new info will become public knowledge. Maybe someday.

http://valid.x86.fr/yk6eia

I am new on this forum, and came on this thread looking for info on the i7-4720HQ yes it can be over clocked very easily. Stock it is made to run at 3.6, 3.5, 3.4, 3.4 GHz it can be over clocked to a maximum of 3.8, 3.7, 3.6, 3.6 GHz. I run mine at 3.8, 3.7, 3.5, 3.5 GHz to keep it a little cooler when under load. You can do this in the Intel extreme tuning program, I have it in a ASUS N550JX ROG notebook. Under load it goes to about 90C though, and that is why I am here, is to know what kind of temps mobile processors go up to under load, the i7-4720HQ has a max temp of 100C, but still I try to not let it get past 90C just to be safe.

If it is a laptop, you really don't want to bother overclocking. I took a look at it on Asus's website, https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/N550JX/ and it is not meant to overclocked. The heat generated from the overclock can only cause problems for the cpu, as well as the motherboard, etc.

If it is a laptop, you really don't want to bother overclocking. I took a look at it on Asus's website, https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/N550JX/ and it is not meant to overclocked. The heat generated from the overclock can only cause problems for the cpu, as well as the motherboard, etc.

Actually the i7-4720HQ can be over clocked with in the specs I gave, as this is a gaming laptop, or multimedia laptop, it has adequate cooling, as I stated the temps under full load, and under testing, do not go above 90C, max is 100C I am pretty sure it is safe, also the main board has been designed to go up to the maximum in the Intel Extreme tuning Utility...

I do not mess with the voltage, or wattage though. Lol I think that is where you can get into trouble with CPU, and main board...

Will maxing this processor out to it's maximum turbo frequency hurt the 16GB of DDR3 Memory @ 1600MHz

Also would there be any risk, to up the turbo boost short max wattage, which comes stock @ 58.750W

And would it hurt to up the turbo boost power max wattage, which is stock @ 47W

Will maxing this processor out to it's maximum turbo frequency hurt the 16GB of DDR3 Memory @ 1600MHz
No the ram will be fine.
Also would there be any risk, to up the turbo boost short max wattage, which comes stock @ 58.750W
It should not change a thing unless you can't reach full turbo becase of wattage.
And would it hurt to up the turbo boost power max wattage, which is stock @ 47W
Same as above.

Back