• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trade-offs when using a dual core cpu (G3258)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Etho

Registered
I'm going to build a new PC soon and wasn't sure if I needed to go with a quad core CPU. Is an overclocked dual core cpu (G3258) enough for light gaming? This PC is going to be a general purpose computer that should be able to play some games that aren't very intensive (Path of Exile & CS:GO). In the future I might want to use a dual monitor setup so I don't have to alt-tab to see the console/skype. What would be the limitations of using this CPU? I will probably use an R9 280X that I got for $150 CAD.

I'd go quad, even for light gaming. Dual core is an internet/email/ms office machine these days.

Quad cores are mainstream now and very affordable. My wife's laptop has a quad core i3 and it was under $400 new. Runs great for her.

Did some more research and a G3258 doesn't seem like a good idea.
Now I need to decide if I go with a dual core with 4 threads or a quad core.

Last edited:
The 3570 is a different socket type than the G3258.

3570 is socket LGA1155, G3258 is socket LGA1150.

In case you didn't know.

Haven't purchased anything for my build yet so the different socket won't be a problem. I made a thread in general for my new build

Back