• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Router - Nighthawk AC1900 = Great Choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Small story to go with this purchase...
Few years ago I had a Linksys Router EA4500. While it did good over the year+ that I used it, the range sucked something bad at least in my place. Have an odd house setup and pretty strong WiFi signals around from the neighbors. Anyways always had issues with it on disconnecting with devices if it got out of visual range. One day I thought it died on me so while I was on business trip I nabbed a Netgear WNDR3700 (N600). At the time AC was just starting to come out. I got it set up that router and range was extended.. much better. No disconnects from devices. I had a new company to trust for my router needs now.

Fast forward to today. I've been thinking for a while on it, now that I got a few tablets, phones, and computers that are AC compatible I think it was time to upgrade the router. Not only that I wanted to get WiFi signal from my basement corner (2 brick walls) all the way up to the 2nd floor bedrooms. I knew it would be tough for a single router to do so, so with that I nabbed an extender as well Netgear EX6200 (AC1200) Extender. Now I was all preped to get my house with WiFi from basement to bedrooms and all corners of the house without a problem. Well got the router up and going and colored me surprised, no need for the Extender! My old WNDR3700 got ok signal in the bedrooms, it would randomly drop, even on the main floor sometimes it was hit and miss for some odd reason, maybe interference, but overall I have been pleased with it. Now this Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) is a beast. Not only do i get good signal (82% in a spot that I got 13% before) but I get speeds upwards of 175Mbps in that area. Totally shocked. Even at that now my main floor has access of speeds up to 390Mbps which just got 54-70Mbps before. Heck my iPhone6 actually gets a WiFi signal now in the bedroom, thank you apple for some craptastic wifi. Thank you AC band and thank you Netgear for making a router that really works well.

While the router itself might be a little on the pricey side, overall its hard to beat and considering if you need a new router and want some good range I'd recommend this in a heartbeat.

Thanks for letting us know, I like hearing real world user experiences with products. Glad it working well for you!

No problem. Hopefully if someone else is in the market this will help make their choice easier.

For those considering OpenWRT, the R7000 "Nighthawk" uses a Broadcom chipset, and anybody who follows router firmwares knows just how cooperative Broadcom is with releasing driver code.

Back