• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4820K OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M11C

Hello, first thread here (didn't have much luck on overclock.net)

so i need some help overclocking my i7 4820K.
it's an Ivy-E CPU with a 2011 socket, meaning it only works with the X79 chipset. it runs at 3.7GHz stock, 3.9 Boost.

Specs:
Mobo: R4BE
RAM: Vengeance pro 2400MHz CL11
PSU: AX1200i
Cooling: EKFB R4BE monoblock

it runs completely stable at 4.5GHz at 1.2Vcore and LLC at high, as far as i can tell.

4.8GHz won't boot at 1.3Vcore, but i can get into windows at 1.35Vcore with CLL at Ultra, but Intel Burn Test fails after 2-3 passes.

i think i need to change some other voltages like VCCSA, VTT, PLL etc. but i have little idea what these voltages will do.

also, i'm not sure what RAM settings i need; i've just been running them at ~1000MHz when OC'ing.

is it safe to change CPU strap/ will it help get a stable OC?

will it help using quad channel memory, over dual channel?

is it recommended to use XMP?

i'm hoping to be able to do some benchmarks at 5.0GHz, but getting 4.8 stable is fine for now.

Btw. at 4.5GHz temp is at ~50C during stress testing.

- Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like you just need more vCore for 4.8 to me. Up to 1.4V is easily safe for daily usage.

What are your load temps at current settings? Is that 50°C number on IBT?

Yes, using the strap is safe.
I doubt it'll get you much further than the multiplier though.

Yes quad channel memory will help performance.

Yes, use XMP.

Sounds like you just need more vCore for 4.8 to me. Up to 1.4V is easily safe for daily usage.

Yes, use XMP.
+1... we also have a guide on the front page that can help you out and let you know what the voltages do, their limits, etc.. :)

do you actually have any experience with Ivy-E, and do you have any intentions of helping?
Regardless, more information is required so we know where you are at... be nice to those helping you out for free on their free time. :)

do you actually have any experience with Ivy-E, and do you have any intentions of helping?

Don't be a jerk dude, and yes, i do own an IB-E 4960X.
And your CPU is a quad channel so use 4 or 8 stick of RAM, running them at their correct speed
Use XMP
5GHGz is near impossible for IB-E unless you got a very good chip (not all CPU are created equal), be happy at 4.7 or 4.8GHz stable
I can never push mine past 4.6 with out crashing and i try to do it 4 or 5 time a week for the last 5 month.

Yes, use XMP.

i just wanted to know if there are other voltages i can change that will help.

i'm running at 1.1Vcore daily, i'm on my *** if that chip dies. oddly i'm getting random BSOD at 1.0Vcore, stock speed.

50C is on IBT at 4.5GHz. it fails after 2 passes at 4.8GHz

i could always bump it up to 1.55 Vcore and go for 5.0 :D

my current RAM doesn't register XMP properly. I'm getting new G.Skill Trident X quad channel in a week or so, maybe that'll help.

+1... we also have a guide on the front page that can help you out and let you know what the voltages do, their limits, etc.. :)

Regardless, more information is required so we know where you are at... be nice to those helping you out for free on their free time. :)

can you pint me to it? wich front page? the main page or Intel CPU forum page?

tell me what you need to know ;)

Don't be a jerk dude, and yes, i do own an IB-E 4960X.
And your CPU is a quad channel so use 4 or 8 stick of RAM, running them at their correct speed
Use XMP
5GHGz is near impossible for IB-E unless you got a very good chip (not all CPU are created equal), be happy at 4.7 or 4.8GHz stable
I can never push mine past 4.6 with out crashing and i try to do it 4 or 5 time a week for the last 5 month.

you just came across as a douche, that you demended screenie's before you wanted to discuss the matter.

i've just read everywhere that you start slow on the RAM when you OC. i heven't got around to pick up on the speed yet, need 4.8 to be stable first.

yes, the hexa core Ivy-E don't do well past 4.5GHz, but from what i can see around the web the quad core usually do a few hundred MHz better.
kinda makes sence, since the transistor count is the same.

But thanks for the insight guys, it's hard to find some good OC info on this chip.

Last edited:
5Ghz 24/7 likely isn't in the cards friend... :(

As ATM said, do not go over around 1.4v for 24/7 operation. If you are benchmarking, its up to you and your... fortitude. But 24/7 that is a good limit. So work around that.

Be careful on name calling please It is typical forum fare to ask for those screenshots. We need to know what you are working with settings wise/where you are currently at before we can really dig in and help. I also see how that could have been misconstrued as there isn't a question mark (darn forums and grammar!!!)... anyway, move on (both of ya!). :grouphug:

That out of the way, LOL, if you can't afford to lose this chip, don't put more than 1.4v in it. As far as pushing past those clocks, check this guide out that is specific to your board. It also goes over relevant terminology for overclocking : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...verclocking-Guide-%96-The-Listy-Wordy-Edition

VCCSA is for the memory overclocking, but you are underclocked so I wouldn't worry about it.

With your CPU overclock, no. Ram overclocking, it and the VccSA (see article I linked) can, yep!

If you're so... "on your ***"... why are you even pushing the chip?
You seem worried about any risk of killing the CPU, then talk about 1.55 vCore in the same post.

why are you even commenting and just filling the thread with useless opinions, if you have nothing to contribute with?

It's a legitimate question.
Why are you attacking the people trying to help you?

Back