• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive reading wrong space used?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liftc

so for some reason out of the blue i noticed my 500gb hard drive says im using 390gbs total when im actually only using about 115gb? this is in my C: properties btw anyone have any idea? i also checked for virus ect and nothing.
thanks.

Use WinDirStat, it'll show you what folders are taking up so much space.
It's possible that it's just your recycle bin also, have you cleaned it out lately?

The biggest "hidden" uses of hard drive space are:

1) Pagefile (leave it enabled)
2) Hibernation file
3) System restore (default is 50% of the disk)

Yep, if it isn't showing in WinDirStat it's most likely one of what thideras listed.

I believe that is what the .sys file is on the right side (page file). If you have enough memory you can likely decrease it to 1-2GB (but make sure to leave it enabled) and that will help cut down on space usage.

hey guys thanks for all the replys turns out it was the system restore points. my computer had like 30 of them not sure why idk if thats normal. i used ccleaner to get rid of most of them except for the new ones and im back to normal. about 130gbs used instead of that crazy 400bgs+ haha thanks again.

Back