• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skylake rumours (i7-6700k / i5-6600k)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

New rumor post on the upcoming chips....
http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-i...rs-specifications-leaked-95w-tdp-42ghz-boost/

What do you folks think? Truth or BS? Worth waiting for or not? Will you be getting one?

Preliminary ‘rumored’ specifications of Intel 14nm Skylake CPUs:
Intel Core i5-6600K Intel Core i7-6700K
Architecture Skylake Skylake
Cores/Threads 4/4 4/8
Cache 6MB 8MB
Core Clock (Boost) 3.5 Ghz(3.9 Ghz) 4.0 Ghz(4.2Ghz)
DDR3/DDR4 RAM 1600/2133 Mhz 1600/2133 Mhz
TDP 95W 95W
Socket LGA 1151 LGA 1151

Last edited:
Rumors... broadwell isn't even out... Not too concerned about Skylake until Broadwell hits. :)

Seems about like what I'd expect, but still way too early to confirm anything is legit.

That said... the DDR3/DDR4 spec intrigues me. Dual memory controllers, I see?
Or just a CYA statement on a rumor saying "we dunno if it's DDR3 or DDR4"?

By the time skylake launches I'd be a little disappointed if they didn't have DDR4 as the standard, but I don't really care overall as the performance difference is so minuscule and DDR3 is [relatively] cheap.

I was really hoping that they would make the top end a 6c/12t CPU, but that would cut into their high-end market too much. I don't think I will upgrade past my 4770k until more cores/threads become available for a reasonable price.

Granted, this is all rumors and speculation for the most part, so I may end up pleasantly surprised, but without needing to bench the CPUs I can't imagine the performance difference going past the normal 3-5% increase from gen to gen, I imagine haswell->broadwell will be the same way.

if skylake is atleast 50% faster i will likely upgrade, but for now the good ole 2500k is still kicking strong.

Looking at current rumours I can't see broadwell worth purchase but also skylake isn't interesting regardless if it's going to have DDR3, DDR4 or both memory controllers. Simply all are only "improved" haswells with slightly higher performance. I guess we wish to see something like 6-8 core without HT more than next 4 core or 4 core+HT chip which brings almost nothing.

I mean it's nice to have couple of % higher performance especially if OC potential is higher but really who needs it ? For sure not gamers or other home users.
Servers base on higher series chips and there you can wait for skylake-e generation.
Laptops already have some broadwell chips but in general all expect them to use less power and provide higher performance. Right now too many mobile CPUs are low power but also low performance. I simply have hard time to pick something good to offer anyone who needs business grade laptop.

How much power efficiency compared to Haswell? Might be interested if I go off the power grid someday.

And since we do not know how much better it is clock for clock, finding that efficiency is going to prove impossible until things are confirmed with its power envelope and performance.

Broadwell isn't even out yet for Pete's sake... Where is the broadwell thread asking these questions? :p

if skylake is atleast 50% faster i will likely upgrade, but for now the good ole 2500k is still kicking strong.

This is where I am at.
My 2600K and 680 SLI set up is still going strong. I don't really care about the power draw so I am sitting on this system.
I would like an excuse to upgrade, but the cost isn't justified right now.

From an article IIRC, there are more PCIe lane controllers, or at least there is x40 divisible by some number of slots, an improvement of somewhat more interest to me than other features. Memory from a month or two ago, so maybe Skylake will be 8.5GHz for $10; I'm getting my brain too full of random stuff.

There's only one feline with 3 toes for instance, all the others have 4.

Back